House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ken_ichikawa

Tfshtff In China

Rest of the article at my blog

Article from today's SCMP. China is now clamping down on further reporting on strikes in China.

The leaders of China's Communist Party - which can trace its origins to labour movements - face a dilemma after a wave of labour unrest that has hit Shanghai and at leastfour cities in Guangdong, Jiangsu, Shaanxi and Jiangxi this month.

Acutely aware of the destabilising impact of such unrest, the party's propaganda department has forbidden mainland media from reporting on any strikes, issuing a gagging order on May 28.

Meanwhile, official mouthpieces such as Xinhua continue to play down the scale of the problem, claiming that all disputes have been promptly settled, and also playing down the number of workers involved.

The media was given freedom to cover the first strike at a Honda component factory in Foshan, Guangdong, and also extensively covered previous strikes in Dongguan, Guangdong, last year.

Editors and reporters from major mainland newspapers told the South China Morning Post (SEHK: 0583, announcements, news) yesterday that they had been banned from reporting or commenting on the latest wave of strikes.

Bound to happen - despite the best efforts of the Chinese government the people are becoming aware of the wealth pouring into the country...

They created that wealth and they now they want theirs.

Who can blame them?

Not me.

And if they don't get it?

Kraka-******ing-Toa!!!!

China I fear will implode.

Too many mouths to feed.

the thing i don't get is i'm seeing more and more food imports from China

Frozen peas , tomato paste , many fish varieties , some processed goods like biscuits (oreo) and potato chips (i read every label before i buy).How can they export so much food and still feed their own folk?

Yuan needs to appreciate , simple as.

Bound to happen - despite the best efforts of the Chinese government the people are becoming aware of the wealth pouring into the country...

They created that wealth and they now they want theirs.

China is the best example in the world of how Capitalism doesn't make poor people rich, it just makes the businessmen richer. The only way to be wealthy is to do your own business, if people weren't so distrusting of eachother they could get together in groups and save money to start their own businesses more but that's life.

My uncle always tells me the danger I face in making business partnerships with people, but in my experience as long as you have something irreplacaeble to offer to the partnership and power over half the business which they can't take away from you, then it's the basis of being able to triple (or more) your productivity and only lose half the profits.

Guest KingCharles1st

the thing i don't get is i'm seeing more and more food imports from China

Frozen peas , tomato paste , many fish varieties , some processed goods like biscuits (oreo) and potato chips (i read every label before i buy).How can they export so much food and still feed their own folk?

Yuan needs to appreciate , simple as.

Apparently a huge % of the world's garlic comes from China so this does no doubt apply to many other items.

I have been thinking for a while that food is going to be the new gold-

My mum is the sort of person who agonises at the supermarket, because she just cannot get any more items into the trolley..

Had convo with her once about a year ago, she was moaning about the price of the trolley dash, I said it's remarkably cheap considering the fact that it makes up a small percentage of her households monthly income (10% est?) yet 50 years ago, it would have probably cost something like 30-40% of the income.

That is about to change

China is the best example in the world of how Capitalism doesn't make poor people rich, it just makes the businessmen richer. The only way to be wealthy is to do your own business, if people weren't so distrusting of eachother they could get together in groups and save money to start their own businesses more but that's life.

My uncle always tells me the danger I face in making business partnerships with people, but in my experience as long as you have something irreplacaeble to offer to the partnership and power over half the business which they can't take away from you, then it's the basis of being able to triple (or more) your productivity and only lose half the profits.

There is a massive cultural divide though as people who work at Foxconn etc most of them want to work there to save enough money to either go to university buy their homes or set up their own businesses.

The thing is the Mainland Chinese and HK and Macau Chinese for that matter generally don't want to end the exploitation they want to move into the position of the exploiters one day.

People in HK and China look at me really funny when I recant my tales about being exploited and how I don't want to do this to others I mean if I didn't like it then why should I put others through it.