House Price Crash Forum

Ultimate Pc And Console Strategy Games

HOLA441

The best all rounder pure strategy game has to be Civilisation.over the years. Don't really consider age of empires, command and conquer, total war etc as strategy - there more real time strategy - good a bit of entertainment but not pure strategy.

But more recently have played Geopolitical Simulator, Democracy and Making History, Hearts of Iron - but they as not as well done as civilisation - and I feel there is more depth - that your decisions have more impact. Never really got into to Sim City or the Sims.

I see something on the net called Nation states. Any other suggestions for a leader/god type game?

HOLA442

The best all rounder pure strategy game has to be Civilisation.over the years. Don't really consider age of empires, command and conquer, total war etc as strategy - there more real time strategy - good a bit of entertainment but not pure strategy.

But more recently have played Geopolitical Simulator, Democracy and Making History, Hearts of Iron - but they as not as well done as civilisation - and I feel there is more depth - that your decisions have more impact. Never really got into to Sim City or the Sims.

I see something on the net called Nation states. Any other suggestions for a leader/god type game?

If you don't mind space type god game Master of Orion 3. Its like Civ in space with systems to conquer colonise etc and diplomacy etc

There are differences :

Battles are RT space battles with fully customisable ships, missile and fighter carriers own the field though, nothing like seeing a 144 behmoth fleet launcg 24 fighters each followed by 100s of heavy torpedoes.

Battles are 2 part whereby once you take out the defensive ships you have to take the planets (you can just bombard them if you are lazy or send in ground troops to fight planet side battles.

It stops being micromanagable though after about 50 turns where you can only macromanage it as your fleets and the enemy fleets start to become enormous and the battles without timers can go on forever.

HOLA443
Guest theboltonfury

I used to love Sim City for the SNES

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

Shadowrun is also supposed to be rather highly regarded. I quite like Command & Conquer.

Any good financial type strategy games, like managing an economy - some games touch on it but have not seen anything which goes into detail. Democracy goes into som detail

You could be Gordon Brown, and create house price bubble

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

Civ II was the best , Civ III was full of gimmicks like underwater cities.Tried Civ IV when it first came out but it seemed very slow paced.

Try alpha centauri.

In a sense Civ 1 was best: for example the more crude battle rules brought unpredictability, and the outside chance of afghan rifles bringing down the occasional tank or helicopter. And that Civ 2 throne room was such a letdown after those rather nice palaces :huh: It's just about the only reason I miss not having a Windows 'puter: online/multiplayer is too much of a commitment, and freeciv lacks AI.

I found alpha centauri a letdown by comparison. Colonization even more so: always too much micromanagement. Orion - yes, that was another nice skin on the same game engine ...

Enjoyed simcity 1 in the early days, but version 2 was a disappointment: lots more detail, but lacking new gameplay to revive interest.

Who else on here is old enough to remember Rogue?

HOLA4410

Strategy/sims?

Sim City on SNES was great indeed. They made more versions and the first isometric one was supposed to be a corker. But I still like the one on the SNES with its cutesy graphics.

Civ2 I thought was supposed to be way better than Civ(1), no? Played it once in an evening and caned it solid for 12 hours. Loved it but never played it again.

Have you tried the game that is like Wargames? It's called DEFCON. Fantastic game and difficult too:

I think you should check out Advance Wars on the Nintendo DS, fantastic game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKYp29zPxMo

Shadowrun is indeed great. Really gets you into the mood. I thought I was a cyberpunk datajack or whatever.

I played "Wall Street Kid" on a NES emulator a while back. Not a bad intro for kids to the stock market.

One of the best financial sims is Aerobiz, for the SNES. You manage an airline company. Fascinating.

I played recently an air traffic control game on the DS. Pretty damn good.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Laser Squad on the Speccy; turn-based strategy heaven.

Command & Conquer on the PS1

Champ Man 01/02 on either PC or XBox.

Birth of the Federation awsome for Trekkies- similar to Master of Orion (not the last crappy one release though - 3?).

The ultimate is still Rome total war - everything else is wannbe.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Birth of the Federation awsome for Trekkies- similar to Master of Orion (not the last crappy one release though - 3?).

The ultimate is still Rome total war - everything else is wannbe.

Birth of the Federation is rare & so now expensive.

The only strategy game I really got hooked on was Emperor Battle for dune

Sorry to wander a bit O/T but for anyone who played the EA shooter game 'Black' this guy has done some very impressive speed runs

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
Guest Skinty

Rome total war and Defcon.

Started playing Defcon again now that they have sorted out their Steam authentication issues.

Medieval's II good but not as good as Rome. I've recently bought Empire and just haven't really been playing it much at all. The combat is boring (blokes standing around shooting as a unit) and it's really odd how options sometimes are available and sometimes aren't.

Maybe I need to patch it.

They should make Rome II.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Rome total war and Defcon.

Started playing Defcon again now that they have sorted out their Steam authentication issues.

Medieval's II good but not as good as Rome. I've recently bought Empire and just haven't really been playing it much at all. The combat is boring (blokes standing around shooting as a unit) and it's really odd how options sometimes are available and sometimes aren't.

Maybe I need to patch it.

They should make Rome II.

+1 Empire is dull as dishwater and I'd love a ROME II n'all.

HOLA4425

Sim-wise there's Dwarf Fortress - awful-looking, impenetrable user interface, and a vertical learning curve. It's insanely detailed (someone has built a working computer in it using levers, floodgates, and gears), and I've wasted unbelievable amounts of time on it.

Archived