House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dubsie

Have British People Lost The Plot

I have been following the story about the two babies that have been attacked by a fox. What has shocked is how easily people can be influenced by the media and how little people know about the creatures we share our world with.

I have heard foxes called all manner of names this week from evil to vile vermon. It really is crazy to call an animal hunting for food evil and shows how little we know about animals. Every year 1000s of children are attacked by pets does that make pets evil or are They just reacting to a situation.

Being brought up on a dairy farm you learn very quickly that animals must be treated with respect. For example hooded crows and magpies have been known to remove the eyes of babies left in prams. It doesn't make these birds evil it's just nature and our job as parents is to protect our young.

If every time an animal kills one of us we react by going on the rampage and killing them our world is going to be pretty grim. The poor old urban fox lives a dreadful life, most are killed on our roads and rarely live beyond 2. It's sad that a child has been hurt but how many of us would put two babies to bed and not close the door behind them. The fox was being a fox a cunning very clever predator. I'm personally honoured that these creatures share our environment.

Guest anorthosite

I have been following the story about the two babies that have been attacked by a fox. What has shocked is how easily people can be influenced by the media and how little people know about the creatures we share our world with.

I have heard foxes called all manner of names this week from evil to vile vermon. It really is crazy to call an animal hunting for food evil and shows how little we know about animals. Every year 1000s of children are attacked by pets does that make pets evil or are They just reacting to a situation.

Being brought up on a dairy farm you learn very quickly that animals must be treated with respect. For example hooded crows and magpies have been known to remove the eyes of babies left in prams. It doesn't make these birds evil it's just nature and our job as parents is to protect our young.

If every time an animal kills one of us we react by going on the rampage and killing them our world is going to be pretty grim. The poor old urban fox lives a dreadful life, most are killed on our roads and rarely live beyond 2. It's sad that a child has been hurt but how many of us would put two babies to bed and not close the door behind them. The fox was being a fox.

I agree 100%. Best example of over reaction? The ratio of shark kills to human kills is about 1,000,000 to 1.

I have been following the story about the two babies that have been attacked by a fox. ...

Where were you?

:lol:

You might also want to ask why we don't have a car cull, seeing the number of kids killed by cars every year.

A cynic might suggest that cars make our lives easier, whilst it's easier to get the council to cull foxes than take personal responsibility for the safety of your own child.

Ready meal anyone? ;)

Sounds like a good reason to bring back fox hunting (not that it ever went away), wipe those evil child eaters out lol

but this is how lots of people are reacting. Let's face it , a baby is fair game to virtually any british predator....even a ferret could kill a baby. People are getting so worked up about a rare event

For example hooded crows and magpies have been known to remove the eyes of babies left in prams.

Let's have some examples then. What with this and cats smothering babies it's amazing there are any babies left at all.

If every time an animal kills one of us we react by going on the rampage and killing them our world is going to be pretty grim. The poor old urban fox lives a dreadful life, most are killed on our roads and rarely live beyond 2. It's sad that a child has been hurt but how many of us would put two babies to bed and not close the door behind them. The fox was being a fox a cunning very clever predator. I'm personally honoured that these creatures share our environment.

It depends on your world view. Humans are animals like any other, and have the same strong protective instinct of our own. I like foxes, but my initial reaction hearing that story was "well get out there and cull them". Foxes are part of nature, but so are humans. It shouldn't surprise anyone that humans will react to a deadly attack, with their own deadly force.

Fox hunting is an aberration because it involves pleasure in killing. A controlled cull using practical methods is the opposite. If foxes are becoming so fearless of humans in London, and they begin entering homes like this, then there is a problem that needs addressing.

Just my two cents.

You might also want to ask why we don't have a car cull, seeing the number of kids killed by cars every year.

A cynic might suggest that cars make our lives easier, whilst it's easier to get the council to cull foxes than take personal responsibility for the safety of your own child.

Errr... we are indeed having a car cull. Haven't you noticed? Cars are actively discouraged. Pollution, cost, danger etc. Noticed any speed humps recently? Speed traps? Proposed lower speed limits. "It's 'elf and safety innit bro".

Leaving your doors open like that during summer in a relatively safe area, cannot be child neglect. It's common practice. Leaving young kids to fry in a baking confined space would be worse, surely? The parents can't win either way.

Didn't we have this conversation when the story broke...?

I didn't.

If you did, then you're excused from this thread ;)

Let's have some examples then. What with this and cats smothering babies it's amazing there are any babies left at all.

I have no examples but when you see a crow take the eyes from a young lamb then it makes perfect sense. Babies are completely defenceless without an adult. This really is a sad event but to blame a species for this is crazy.

If we shared our world with tigers would we leave an open route to two babies. A house is no boundary to a fox, would you leave a baby in a field for a few hours on it's own...No. It's just common sense.

In the UK, more so than any other country I've visited, the media exert control over the public mindset. Bearing that in mind you have to wonder what stories of greater public interest were obfuscated by this one, sad though it was.

I have no examples but when you see a crow take the eyes from a young lamb then it makes perfect sense.

Perhaps so, but I'm willing to bet that there is absolutely no evidence that a baby has ever had its eyes pecked out by a bird in the UK (or indeed anywhere else).

I agree 100%. Best example of over reaction? The ratio of shark kills to human kills is about 1,000,000 to 1.

Its not just the Brits (though they may have inherited it from us) in HK there were 5 shark attacks 4 of them fatal, so the HK government put up shark nets at most of the beaches around HK. 0 fatalities or incidents since, I think howveer this might be due to the appaulling water quality of HK beaches, its like raw sewage and people come out the water scraping layers of turds off themselves.

Spiders are evil. we should kill them with a shoe at every opportunity. or a rolled newspaper.

Quote from a Terry Pratchett book - "Animals can't murder. Only us superior races can murder. That's one of the things that sets us apart from animals."

An animal hurting someone is no different from a landslide hurting someone.

Guest X-QUORK

People are getting so worked up about a rare event

Are they? I haven't seen any anti-fox vigilantism going on in my neck of the woods.

To people who grow up in countries where nature is closer to hand the British must look pretty effete. Check this idiot.

Well, should we take this kind of provocation lying down? Personally, I do not want revenge. I do not have any chickens, or small children. I live in a top-floor flat in London. And having grown up in the countryside, I have always found something reassuring about spotting a flash of fox in the concrete jungle. Good luck to them. As long as they’re not bothering me.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/7821950/Outfoxed-Urban-foxes-have-become-bolder-than-ever-and-we-are-powerless-to-stop-them.html

I'm quite at ease with hunting. I view animal rights people as having little real understanding of nature. But some city dweller who gets all hysterical about a rare fox attack? What a *****.

Incidentally, I've just found what looks like an orphaned fox cub in my garden. It comes out in the daytime which seems unusual to me. It looks pretty ragged and it's eyes look squinted. I've put some food out for it but it hasn't taken it yet.

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable

We need clear labelling on both foxes and doors.

A full fox death prevention mandatory training course for all parents.

And a revaluation of that house.

We must be tough on foxes and the causes of foxes.

It's the right thing to do.

To people who grow up in countries where nature is closer to hand the British must look pretty effete. Check this idiot.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/7821950/Outfoxed-Urban-foxes-have-become-bolder-than-ever-and-we-are-powerless-to-stop-them.html

I'm quite at ease with hunting. I view animal rights people as having little real understanding of nature. But some city dweller who gets all hysterical about a rare fox attack? What a *****.

Incidentally, I've just found what looks like an orphaned fox cub in my garden. It comes out in the daytime which seems unusual to me. It looks pretty ragged and it's eyes look squinted. I've put some food out for it but it hasn't taken it yet.

Check your garden for a Fox sized cape and listen out for despicable, canid-like, laughter as if someone.... or something...... has been plotting an unspeakable, devious attack.

Errr... we are indeed having a car cull. Haven't you noticed? Cars are actively discouraged. Pollution, cost, danger etc. Noticed any speed humps recently? Speed traps? Proposed lower speed limits. "It's 'elf and safety innit bro".

And car numbers are going which way? Cars "discouraged?" Then let them rust. Don't pay people to trade them in for new ones.

Leaving your doors open like that during summer in a relatively safe area, cannot be child neglect. It's common practice. Leaving young kids to fry in a baking confined space would be worse, surely? The parents can't win either way.

Sorry, but I've already explained that leaving doors open makes the interioir of your house risky according to actuaries, who are concerned merely with "things". When considering children, the consequences are infinitely higher, therefore you move decisively to the top right of the risk matrix. You can have whatever opinion you chose. The brains who deal with risk every day disagree with you. I agree with them. Sorry, but that's the way it is. I can't help if you don't like being wrong or whatever objection you have.

Are they? I haven't seen any anti-fox vigilantism going on in my neck of the woods.

It's still front cover tho

fox.JPG

post-141-12763591228704_thumb.jpg

A full fox death prevention mandatory training course for all parents.

They clearly need it, but I say they can pay for it out of the benefits tax payers already give them:

"Currently, poorer parents are eligible to be paid as much as £100,000 in benefits and tax credits in equal instaments over the first 19 years of a child’s life, if he or she stays still in full time education. " -telegraph

- and that exludes the cost of state education / police to baby sit their kids on the streets & keep them out of trouble / stomach pumps in A&E to resuscitate the kids they let roam the streets with bottle of cider etc, etc

the press should be fined for this sort of thing. So irrational.

I lived on a farm in Melton Mowbray and learnt about hunting with dogs. In terms of fox hunting the fox is actually bred for the hunt. They have wooded areas that are planted especially to encourage the fox and often they make artificial dens that they can easily release a fox prior to the hunt. The fox is then driven from it's home and chased by dogs until it is caught. Even if it escapes it often dies from shock and exhaustion. It doesn't control fox numbers and is not relevant to the urban debate.

Fox hunting in my opinion gives a bad name to hunting. It's purely a blood sport and has nothing to do with hunting.

I'm a farmers son and my opinions don't sit very easy with many pro hunters, but at least I have first hand experience of a hunt. There is nothing natural about killing an animal purely for fun. I can completely understand hunting for food or killing an animal that is taking stock, but not for fun.

The fox will always be here unless we kill all of them.