House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest theboltonfury

Sci-Fi Is For People Who Are Shit At Sport...

Guest theboltonfury

Can't join in with your mates' footy matches? Unable to demonstrate even the merest hand to eye co-ordination in ball sports?

Fear not. There's always Doctor Who and Star Trek.

Can't join in with your mates' footy matches? Unable to demonstrate even the merest hand to eye co-ordination in ball sports?

Too wide a generalisation, in the 1990s I used to watch Star Trek because there was little to do on Sunday afternoons in winter. Though we did used to swim in the Rother quite often in the summer set fire to things go on long bike rides etc. While I would play squash on Saturdays and would regularly get into brutal fights in primary school. This partially continued into high school too.

Its funny how I remember them better than they were at the time when you fell over people would shout PILE ON! and you would wake up a few minutes later after everything blacked out. After the entire school jumped onto the pile,

Or the way 3 kiddies would hold you still while another one would repeatedly punch you in the face

Guest theboltonfury

Too wide a generalisation, in the 1990s I used to watch Star Trek because there was little to do on Sunday afternoons in winter. Though we did used to swim in the Rother quite often in the summer set fire to things go on long bike rides etc. While I would play squash on Saturdays and would regularly get into brutal fights in primary school. This partially continued into high school too.

Its funny how I remember them better than they were at the time when you fell over people would shout PILE ON! and you would wake up a few minutes later after everything blacked out. After the entire school jumped onto the pile,

Or the way 3 kiddies would hold you still while another one would repeatedly punch you in the face

Ken, never heard of masturbation?

Actually Matt Smith was signed as a Junior to play for Northampton Town, Nottingham Forest, and Leicester City before becoming the 11th Dr Who.

My wee brother played county cricket and is a life-long Star Wars obsessive...

Your theory doesn't really hold up.

Besides, wielding a light sabre effectively demands a great deal of hand eye coordination. ;)

Guest theboltonfury

Actually Matt Smith was signed as a Junior to play for Northampton Town, Nottingham Forest, and Leicester City before becoming the 11th Dr Who.

My wee brother played county cricket and is a life-long Star Wars obsessive...

Your theory doesn't really hold up.

Besides, wielding a light sabre effectively demands a great deal of hand eye coordination. ;)

Ok, let's go to a Star Wars convention and put together a cricket team for the attendees. This team would be beaten by 11 blind children with a passionate dislike for the game.

Edit - I suspect the Dr.Who actor also despises the role he plays. He's a repressed Rambo really.

yeah, but we are great at the anti gravity Olympic games...high jump, long jump, flying around the arena, synchronised floating...that sort of thing.

Ok, let's go to a Star Wars convention and put together a cricket team for the attendees. This team would be beaten by 11 blind children with a passionate dislike for the game.

Edit - I suspect the Dr.Who actor also despises the role he plays. He's a repressed Rambo really.

Who isn't?

Guest theboltonfury

Who isn't?

I am more of a Rocky repressee.

I think Rambo made a lot of mistakes in that jungle; I could have helped him.

Ken, never heard of masturbation?

Masturbation is a ball sport of a sort; lots of hand coordination and you get to shoot - though you never score.

Sci-Fi Is For People Who Are Shit At Sport... Discuss

I think your hypothesis is a sound observation but only in as much as "not everyone who likes sport is thick, but all thick people seem to like sport".

As it happens, I'll be watching Doctor Who this evening and then flipping over to ITV for the football.

I can do without the pre-match chat. Watching a group of grown men discuss formations, statistics and the results of previous games is a little too nerdy for my liking.

Each to their own I guess.

So... wifey refused you a quick tumble between the sheets - again.

;)

Guest theboltonfury

So... wifey refused you a quick tumble between the sheets - again.

;)

Actually, no.

Guest theboltonfury

Just wondering what upset you today...

Nowt. Just summising about sci-fi.

There's a lot of it kicking about on here at the moment.

I think that was Anorthosite's unsuccessful attempt at the "most boring thread" challenge. You could always start a rival football thread or two: should be plenty of material over the next few weeks.

Guest anorthosite

I think that was Anorthosite's unsuccessful attempt at the "most boring thread" challenge. You could always start a rival football thread or two: should be plenty of material over the next few weeks.

Lets see how many people get this one:

I like Star Trek, (well DS9, the others are rubbish) and the new battlestar galactica. Yes, same writers, I know. I have a clean 200kg squat.

Dr Who is shit, and don't get me started about Star Wars. But, Blade Runner, good film. Alien, Good film.

Does this make me geek-curios?

and btw

Though we did used to swim in the Rother

Are you ******ing insane

Sci-Fi Is For People Who Are Shit At Sport...

I knew a few sci-fi geeks when I was in computer games. They were largely pretty handy with darts and snooker queues. They didn't seem fit enough to play footie etc. When I went paintballing with them they weren't the most energetic, but they were good team players.

I suspect the same could be said of most footie supporters.

Rather than watching football, they watched extreme sports, which they thought "way cool".

I think the unpopularity of football amongst such types has nothing to do with the game per say, and more to do with shunning the mainstream (hence admiration for extreme sport). They tend to see themselves as mavericks. Indeed, the success of The Matrix is imho down to a precise targetting of this aspect of their psyche : the idea that the mainstream is asleep, homogenous and easliy controlled by scraps from the table.

And just to reiterate, liking sport is NOT the same as watching it. Lot of bear-bellied couch potatoes watching the footie at the mo.

Are you ******ing insane

Probably as it was near the blue circle cement factory and it was disgustingly polluted, I remember jospeh the guy next door making a raft out of pallets and 'sailing' down it for a couple miles too.

I am more of a Rocky repressee.

I think Rambo made a lot of mistakes in that jungle; I could have helped him.

Rambo was in a temperate rainforest. I believe it was east of Vancouver.

Jungle tactics would have been misplaced.

I'm slowly turning the entire forum into a sci-fi forum.

It's going pretty well so far.

When you see a thread in the "gold" forum about Cybermen and their well-known weakness to that particular metal, you'll know my work here is complete.