House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Ash4781

Local Authority Savings (Round 1)

http://www.communities.gov.uk/news/newsroom/1611369

From 10 June

The Government has today published details of the £1.166bn Local Government contribution to the £6.2bn cross government savings in 2010/11. Communities Secretary Eric Pickles has confirmed that no local authority will face reductions in their revenue grant of more than 2 per cent.

Individual authorities

http://www.communities.gov.uk/documents/localgovernment/xls/1611273.xls

How these cuts work in practice through to job cuts, recruitment freezes,wage cuts,etc depends on other factors and general financing of the local authority including pressure to freeze council tax rise. Though this is only the first 1.166bn it shows the true scale of the task. I pressume this is along the lines of how the cipd came up with their dire forecast. Interesing to see what the money supply and house prices do as looks like deflation on the horizon .

Back in 2005 i had a long hard think about everything i could see coming:-

The 3RD World (Asia+ a few others) where becoming 1st World, they worked Bloody hard & saved etc.

The 1St World where a load of fat,lazy dumd-ass nob heads whom didn't save & spent like drunk saliors.

Thus, the 3RD World would quicky start to reach 1St World living standards, the 1ST World would fall to 3RD World living standards.

...............& so it begins.

Mike

Eric Pickles has confirmed that no local authority will face reductions in their revenue grant of more than 2 per cent.

Could be interesting  though, as in many parts the grant is equivalent to 75% of the councils income, so a 2% change may cause a 6% increase in Council Tax unless the authority makes cuts.

Could be interesting  though, as in many parts the grant is equivalent to 75% of the councils income, so a 2% change may cause a 6% increase in Council Tax unless the authority makes cuts.

I'm sure Cameron said Council Tax will be frozen next year. I wonder if any councils will deliberately exceed their budget like Derek Hatton's lot did in Liverpool.

There is a very easy saving very very easy.

In the library yesterday (I use their colour printers as it is cheaper than running my own considering I print all of 5-10 colour pictures a year).

I saw rather a lot of books on the shelves (hang with me here) which they had previously sold on and bought new copies of.

The library of Bury seems to sell their entire stock of books for 10p each, and buys identical copies of the same book. A couple years ago I remember seeing 1421 (a rubbish book btw) for sale for 10p, I bought it. A few weeks later I saw 1421 yet again on the shelves. Last month I saw 1421 again in the for sale section where I bought it again for 10p so make my bodged shelves look symetical. And lo and behold last week the library bought yet another copy of 1421.

Why do they keep buying and selling the same books year after year? if they were different books each year it would be understanable....

This is only ONE book (I've seen it happen many times with other books) multiply this by the number of books in each library and the amount just bulldozed into the furnaces is insane! Why is there ia need to sell the book and rebuy it next year?

There is a very easy saving very very easy.

In the library yesterday (I use their colour printers as it is cheaper than running my own considering I print all of 5-10 colour pictures a year).

I saw rather a lot of books on the shelves (hang with me here) which they had previously sold on and bought new copies of.

The library of Bury seems to sell their entire stock of books for 10p each, and buys identical copies of the same book. A couple years ago I remember seeing 1421 (a rubbish book btw) for sale for 10p, I bought it. A few weeks later I saw 1421 yet again on the shelves. Last month I saw 1421 again in the for sale section where I bought it again for 10p so make my bodged shelves look symetical. And lo and behold last week the library bought yet another copy of 1421.

Why do they keep buying and selling the same books year after year? if they were different books each year it would be understanable....

This is only ONE book (I've seen it happen many times with other books) multiply this by the number of books in each library and the amount just bulldozed into the furnaces is insane! Why is there ia need to sell the book and rebuy it next year?

Perhaps when people see a book is old and worn no one borrows it so they sell it and replace it with a new copy which then gets read more?

However why have you bought the same book several times? Do you like to read 2 copies at once?

Perhaps when people see a book is old and worn no one borrows it so they sell it and replace it with a new copy which then gets read more?

However why have you bought the same book several times? Do you like to read 2 copies at once?

The old copies are not worn though, I just went to my book shelf and (carefully) pulled out 1421 and in the front bit they stick in they had 2 borrowers over the period it was on general lending in the library.

I have two copies as I have wobbly tables and my book shelves are so heavily laden with books the shelves are a nice U shape so I cram books I do not intend to read as supports for them in the middle. Neither copy of 1421 has been read beyond the first chapter. My sister has a copy too which she bought from the prestwich branch.