House Price Crash Forum
Dave Beans

Labour's £1.3 Trillion Spending Spree "laid Bare"

I knew that they would have to squeeze in a Diana reference somewhere down the line..

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1285745/Labours-1-3-TRILLION-spending-spree-How-millions-wasted.html

article-1285745-09FC1AEE000005DC-840_634x871.jpg

The extraordinary extent of Labour's final spending spree - which cost the public purse £1.3trillion even as the economy was sinking - was laid bare for the first time last night. Bills included £50million to promote ballet and music, £5.6million for pensions for the Royal Household and £38.4million for gipsy encampments. Details of the spending - which saw public expenditure rise by 15 per cent over two years - are contained in a vast Treasury database which the Coalition has made public.

The first comprehensive analysis, by software firm Rosslyn Analytics for the Daily Mail, shows that even as the economy was spiralling into recession, Labour kept the spending taps on - sanctioning expenditure that ranged from the sublime to the ridiculous. A portion of the money will have been to support Gordon Brown's economic philosophy to increase public spending to stimulate the fragile economy. But the figures also reveal a significant level of more questionable spending.

They show that the department run by former Children's Secretary and Labour leadership hopeful Ed Balls lavished nearly £50million on programmes for ballet, dance and music in schools. The National Measurements Office, which orders retailers to weigh their goods in kilograms rather than pounds, in line with EU diktats, cost £150million. Another quango, Natural England, cost £442million.

The Department for Environment also spent £95million on an obscure 'National Environment Enjoyment programme'. Initially staff could not say what the money was spent on.

They later clarified it was for management of national parks. The Cabinet Office had to fund £14billion for gold-plated pensions for Whitehall staff, more than double the amount that needs to be cut from public spending this year. The Coins figures show that pension costs for the Royal Household reached £5.6million, while highly-paid judges received £267million in taxpayers' money for their retirement schemes. The Electoral Commission, which has been widely criticised for its handling of the election and its failure to prevent postal voting fraud, cost £48million to run over two years.

As taxpayers struggled to afford their own homes through the recession, more than £38.4million was used to fund sites for travellers. Councils were asked to apply for the grants through the Department for Communities and Local Government for funds to 'provide amenities and purchase sites for gipsies'.

Previous guidelines released by Labour stated that gipsies needed caravan sites as they suffer an ' aversion to bricks and mortar'. Even areas of outstanding natural beauty were not offlimits.

Yesterday the new Coalition Government axed the grants. A spokesman for the department said: 'The current economic climate means that we need to act quickly and take difficult decisions about reducing grants due to be paid to local government.'

And in the middle of the recession, MPs cost the state £178million in salary and expenses. Bailing out the banks cost taxpayers nearly as much as funding the NHS over the last two years. Taxpayers shelled out £132.4billion to bail out financial institutions other than Northern Rock and Bradford and Bingley. Northern Rock cost £20.3billion to nationalise while Bradford and Bingley was even more expensive, at £24.6billion.

Overall, pension payouts were the third most expensive area of government expenditure - underlining the high costs to Britain of an ageing population. At nearly £128.4billion, the cost of paying the state pension is more than double England's £59billion schools budget. And while Britain is struggling with a recession, the Labour Government continued to send money abroad. Around £1.6billion was given to the European Union to distribute to poor countries, despite the UK already having its own Department for International Development (DfID).

A further £1.3billion was spent on 'reducing poverty in Asia', the continent that has seen the largest surge in economic growth in the past decade. The Government has said it will make the database figures more accessible by August. Mark Wallace, of the TaxPayers' Alliance, said: 'The publication of this information is proving a massive eyeopener into the ways our taxes are being spent.'

Edited by zagreb78

Taxpayers shelled out £132.4billion to bail out financial institutions other than Northern Rock and Bradford and Bingley. Northern Rock cost £20.3billion to nationalise while Bradford and Bingley was even more expensive, at £24.6billion.

So that's £177.3BILLION for bank bailouts

The rest is piss in the ocean compared to that.

Public sector pensions are by far the biggest item on that list.

Its amazing they built up such a pension considering that the civil service was only started in 1997. Before that magic elves used to do the work.

Dogging?

We had to be sure that there was no racist or gender influenced behaviour affecting sexual opportunities in cars.

so there it is.

in spite of the ENORMOUS profits the banks provided the treasury in the previous years, they took it all back and more.

banks...made no money whatsoever for the economy...otherwise....we would be rolling in it.

Oil PRODUCERS, however, and THINGS producers ARE rolling in it.

Shows what BS the KNOWLEDGE based economy is...its a looters charter.

Bring forth the Guillotine.

And just WHY are the Judiciary PAID so much?

Ah I know, its because the underlings are paid so much that the Government must provide those who have "made it" with a suitable landing pad.

course, none of this has any influence on what Judges perceive as Value.

Like a recent case I had with an Independent rent claim....£160 was deemed reasonable for an office clerk to spend half hour on site reading from a list and sending an email to the landlord confirming all was in order.

Or allowing and accepting as reasonable, fees of £1000 per hour for Barristers.

these leeches must be culled. £1000 per hour.....lets make it £50 is all they can claim. A barrister putting in 40 hours will still make £100K.

50k savings per person in the UK = how much?

That's the only obligation they had until they waded in.

these leeches must be culled. £1000 per hour.....lets make it £50 is all they can claim. A barrister putting in 40 hours will still make £100K.

Agreed £1000 is a lot of money but a charge-out rate is not the same as the rate someone receives as income. I doubt you'd get a decent plumber in central London for £50.

Nobody ever makes the headline rate, my rate as an accountant used to be around 150-250 a day when sent out to audit a company, I never saw anywhere close to £250 a day.

Agreed £1000 is a lot of money but a charge-out rate is not the same as the rate someone receives as income. I doubt you'd get a decent plumber in central London for £50.

stop it with the plumber analogy. its false.

Lawyers get what they get because the COURTS allow these rediculous charges. And judges think its reasonable for an EAs office clerk to be charged out at £160 per hour.

course they do...they think someone earning less than that is on the dole.

Cherie BLAIR..."earns" £400K for court work it is rumoured.

Nobody ever makes the headline rate, my rate as an accountant used to be around 150-250 a day when sent out to audit a company, I never saw anywhere close to £250 a day.

you are not the only cost in sending you out, Id agree. theres the car, the NI, the office overhead and support staff like reception and typing.

but, Barristers can and do earn a fortune.

I think any word bigger than a million should be banned - £14bn should therefore be described as 14,000 million. Looks alot more scary, and closer to real numbers.

Even if this number were correct, Labour's total debt is more than £750bn.

And growing at £160bn per year.

Edited by Tired of Waiting

People vote Labour for the same reason people go to Church, faith. There is no logical reason to do either, or indeed to ever hope to de-program either. Remember Labour have totally bankrupt this country, worse in its entire peacetime history yet a large swathe of people (29%) were so convinced that this was a good thing they went out and voted for another 5 years of it? This alone tells you there is no future for Britain, a nation of fools. The same fools who are STILL rushing in to pay £350,000 for a tiny terraced house they have zero hope of every repaying, tricked by the collective madness that everyone else is doing it. Slowly but surely the intelligent ones of the next generation, who are also the main tax earners for the country will emigrate, there is no logical reason to stay here so it is only faith that slows the inevitable pace.

Gordon Brown did end boom and bust forever, Britain is now bust forever. That's the main reason why my money is staying firmly in the bank and not in UK bricks and mortar while I contemplate where to emigrate to. I wouldn't pay more than 50% of the current asking price for UK property which is it's true worth accounting for inflation since 97, though given the backdrop of the UK's biggest debts in the world, I doubt property is even worth 25% of current asking prices. It'll take time for this to sink in, but give it a decade or so. The dying breaths of a decaying nation, finally smothered by Labour, goodnight Britain, sleep well.

Edited by Alex Samoa

think any word bigger than a million should be banned - £14bn should therefore be described as 14,000 million. Looks alot more scary, and closer to real numbers.
I would go further than that, I would bring in a new counting system that has just five figures: --- 0, 1, 2, several and lots.

Ah I know, its because the underlings are paid so much that the Government must provide those who have "made it" with a suitable landing pad.

course, none of this has any influence on what Judges perceive as Value.

Like a recent case I had with an Independent rent claim....£160 was deemed reasonable for an office clerk to spend half hour on site reading from a list and sending an email to the landlord confirming all was in order.

Well after lurking on here since 2007, this post has provoked me to register. Whilst I have read many of your posts Bloo Loo and generally agree with them, you clearly have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to the issue of barrister's fees.

If you think that the majority of barristers are earning £1000 an hour then you are crazy. The truth is that only QC's can warrant this type of earning power and QC's make up a very small proportion of the barrister community. At present the barrister world is ultra competitive, in terms of winning work from solicitors and also actually qualifying as a barrister.

Barristers now offer fixed fees and are prepared to work for less than the cost of a solicitor just to keep themselves busy and earning a wage. Remember, barristers are self employed - if they dont work they dont eat. I know many barristers who are literally on the bread line.

Academically, only the elite have a real chance to getting called to the bar. This means that they would have had to worked and studied hard to obtain a 1st from Oxbridge. I am not a barrister but I do work with them and see what they do.

Trust me, most earn every penny and nowadays there really arent many pennies to earn.

Edited by Jetset78

Guest sillybear2

Because they come face to face with some pretty nasty scum, like those three MP's and the peer.

Guest sillybear2

Possibly deserves its own thread.

The Generals in the bunker had clearly decided the Leader had gone mad.

So leaving someone with with a £153bn deficit instead of £160bn is "good news", that tells you all you need to know about Labour. It's like being mugged for £500 then feeling pleased because you've found one of your own £1 coins on the floor.