House Price Crash Forum

Not bad from Wrigglesworth: -

"the figures show house prices have failed to respond to the recent interest rate cut.

While transactions have picked up a little this month, a further reduction in new buyers and a further increase in supply suggests no prospect of price rises in the near future.

It is a buyer’s market with discounts achieved as a percentage of asking price typically being well over 6%, equating to £12,000 savings on an average priced property"

My favourite bit...

But despite falling prices market activity has increased by 4.1% this month suggesting some confidence has returned to the market, says Hometrack, although the number of new buyers continued to fall by 0.5% this month.

OK, so 'activity' up 4.1%, of which new buyers down 0.5%, so that means new sellers up 4.6%?

Edit: couldn't add up two numbers!

Edited by madenph

My favourite bit...

OK, so 'activity' up 4.1%, of which new buyers down 0.5%, so that means new sellers up 5.1%?

no idea what that means..

perhaps activity is up 4.1% of which new (read FTB) are down .5%

activity isn't just a reflection of an increase in the number of properties on the market is it? surely it reflects actual sales?

Poster on Motley Fool questionned the Hometrack figures....

Erm, they were 161,300 last month, (They fell £300 then), so 161,000 makes a 0.2% fall again, and the YoY figure shuld be -3.7%.  I have emailed the author of the IFAOnline article asking him how he arrives at a 0.1% fall.

and got this response....

I suspect you are probably correct Andrew but there may have been other factors involved in how the average was worked out I can to some extent only go with what the research says and while they were probably trying to put a positive spin on things the difference is not enough for me to make a big deal out of it or to turn it into a bigger news story. Were we talking differences of several percentage points rather than simply one, and that in itself rather an insignificant change, then I might have followed it up. However thankyou for your comments it is always good to hear from our readers on any subject.

:blink:

http://boards.fool.co.uk/Message.asp?mid=9...t=whole#9503931

Poster on Motley Fool questionned the Hometrack figures....

and got this response....

:blink:

http://boards.fool.co.uk/Message.asp?mid=9...t=whole#9503931

That sounds fair enough; my limited experience of journalism is that if you are going to question a source in print you better be pretty sure and make sure it's newsworthy. This isn't really newsworthy - can't see them splashing "Estate Agent source for house price figures 0.1% out!!!" on the front page, and they'd probably get angry phone calls from Wriggly.