House Price Crash Forum

Job Advert At A Council...with Restrictions?

HOLA441

Got this advert via email from a Local Councils jobsite. Have to admit that these emails have been few and far between since approx March. However, the following below the advert interested me:

"We regret that this vacancy is subject to restrictions i.e. to minimise compulsory redundancies, applications from existing employees will be considered and processed prior to any applications from external candidates. It is stressed that you should still apply as normal, since if we are unable to find a suitable internal candidate we will then look at the other applications we have received, rather than re-advertise the job."

http://worcestershire.whub.org.uk/cms/jobs-and-careers/job-details.aspx?ID=18245

Mate of mine works at this council...he says the atmosphere has gone to shite since they announced that over 500 people will be laid of in the coming year.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Got this advert via email from a Local Councils jobsite. Have to admit that these emails have been few and far between since approx March. However, the following below the advert interested me:

"We regret that this vacancy is subject to restrictions i.e. to minimise compulsory redundancies, applications from existing employees will be considered and processed prior to any applications from external candidates. It is stressed that you should still apply as normal, since if we are unable to find a suitable internal candidate we will then look at the other applications we have received, rather than re-advertise the job."

http://worcestershire.whub.org.uk/cms/jobs-and-careers/job-details.aspx?ID=18245

Mate of mine works at this council...he says the atmosphere has gone to shite since they announced that over 500 people will be laid of in the coming year.

This was big in the 70s and early 80s with Councils - fecking jobs for the boys.

It is illegal. Make a complaint.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

Interested to see why they have to use jobsite to advertise a job vacancy in the first place..I thought that they could have just bunged it on the council intranet first...cost = nothing..

Sort of thing that Richard Littlejohn at the DM snaps up. Someone should email him - Council pays online site to advertise job that public cannot apply for!

HOLA447

This was big in the 70s and early 80s with Councils - fecking jobs for the boys.

It is illegal. Make a complaint.

It isn't illegal. Many organisations in the public and the private sector have written policies on redundancy, including ways of reducing the number of redundancies.

This from a private sector company:

Minimising The Need For Redundancies

XXX will explore all options when considering ways to avoid or minimise the need for redundancies. For example:

- Restricting or stopping external recruitment in relevant areas, except where no suitable internal candidate can be found.

- Ending temporary or fixed term staff contracts in the areas involved, except where this would result in discrimination.

- Ending arrangements with external contractors

- Restricting overtime in these areas

- Reviewing vacancies to see whether work can be reorganised

HOLA448

is it?

It's not illegal at all. In fact organisations are actively encouraged to redeploy those facing redundancy into other roles, if this was the private sector the chances are that public job ads would only be posted if there were no suitable internal candidates at all.

It makes a huge amount of sense to employ people who already know the organisation. It's good practice and anything else would be a waste of money.

I know there are some right-wing nut jobs here who don't think there's any use for government at all (and senior management salaries are a joke), but local authorities do provide a few useful functions, not everyone works as a community football facilitator you know.

HOLA449

It's not illegal at all. In fact organisations are actively encouraged to redeploy those facing redundancy into other roles, if this was the private sector the chances are that public job ads would only be posted if there were no suitable internal candidates at all.

It makes a huge amount of sense to employ people who already know the organisation. It's good practice and anything else would be a waste of money.

I know there are some right-wing nut jobs here who don't think there's any use for government at all (and senior management salaries are a joke), but local authorities do provide a few useful functions, not everyone works as a community football facilitator you know.

It is illegal for the reasons I stated.

Really can't be arsed to get into a conversation with a public sector numpty who thinks they are somehow special - it is public money. Nothing to do with the private sector.

I can piss my money up against the way if I like because it is my money. The Council, on the other hand, cannot because it is not their money!

Feck - no wonder this country is fecked!

HOLA4410

Really can't be arsed to get into a conversation with a public sector numpty who thinks they are somehow special - it is public money. Nothing to do with the private sector.

I can piss my money up against the way if I like because it is my money. The Council, on the other hand, cannot because it is not their money!

legal or not, its another waste of money...why go to the expense of advertising a job no-one is likely to be eligable for?

HOLA4411

Guys, the site it's advertised on is the councils own site...which they now call the 'hub'.

Not interested in the job either...but was just interested to see a confirmation of what's to come! I worked there for 5 years...wouldn't want to go back! :P not for that salary anyhow! Oh err...I'm being greedy now!

HOLA4412

I wonder why they advertised this on a public-facing website (as distinct from on the council's intranet) at all. Let's face it, it's not likely that for a job at this level and with 500 employees facing redundancy that they're not going to get anyone applying who meets the minimum requirements. If they are pursuing a policy of internal redeployment to prevent compulsory redundancies, surely it makes sense to advertise a vacancy externally only after you've tried unsuccessfully to fill it internally.

HOLA4413

I wonder why they advertised this on a public-facing website (as distinct from on the council's intranet) at all. Let's face it, it's not likely that for a job at this level and with 500 employees facing redundancy that they're not going to get anyone applying who meets the minimum requirements. If they are pursuing a policy of internal redeployment to prevent compulsory redundancies, surely it makes sense to advertise a vacancy externally only after you've tried unsuccessfully to fill it internally.

Good question! When I was there, they advertised internally and externally even for jobs that were 'ring fenced' (as they said to me) for certain people!

I remember 3 different jobs that came up there that quite a few of us were going to go for but only to be told not to bother as they were ring fenced for 'certain' people. The adverts were worded in a way that you could spot that it was aimed at one person in particular...all that was missing was their name.

It was a pain because you couldn't progress based on merit...it was all based on who'd been there the longest. Many people got the internal promotions because they'd been there for 10 years...but they were guys and gals that had been there for 2 years who deserved the promotions.

It's important to note that a promotion was first advertised externally/internally, 10 people interviewed followed by the person who was going to get the job actually getting the job! Such an odd way to do things and a waste of money and people's time!

HOLA4414

It's only illegal in certain circumstances. If the person being made redundant is, for example returning from maternity leave. It is illegal for them NOT to process her application before any external ones. In this instance it makes no difference where the money comes from, it is just employment law. The law states that it is the employers responsibility to make every effort to find the employee being made redundant, alternative employment within the organisation.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
Guest absolutezero

I agree with you on a lot of things but you are wrong on this one.

It isn't illegal and it is their money.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Arn't most josbs on the council already given to people already there or already pin pointed to someone who knows someone there , by the time they go out to advertising they are already filled , but the numpty's in the council waste everyone's time and taxpayers money going through the time consuming game of interviews and selection .

keeps people employed at the council . This is where the cuts need to fall.

HOLA4419

Arn't most josbs on the council already given to people already there or already pin pointed to someone who knows someone there , by the time they go out to advertising they are already filled , but the numpty's in the council waste everyone's time and taxpayers money going through the time consuming game of interviews and selection .

keeps people employed at the council . This is where the cuts need to fall.

Mrs Loo went for a job in the NHS...tee-ed up and ready, she fell at the "and what experience do you have using OUR computer booking system, Crap-1t?"

not sure how an outsider could possibly have that experience.

HOLA4420

Mrs Loo went for a job in the NHS...tee-ed up and ready, she fell at the "and what experience do you have using OUR computer booking system, Crap-1t?"

not sure how an outsider could possibly have that experience.

Its just one big game that is costing the tax payers a fortune and keeping people in the H.R . Department in their jobs.

Mate of mine went to one London council for a job , whole day needed for test's , interviews, role play games , they paid everyone's fares and gave them lunch , plus the information packs that were sent to everyone.

Was told that he was underqualified for the job , but they had similar vacancies at a grade lower.

Went back for the other job another all dayer , told he was overqualified.

Then they phoned and he was told they had another two vacancies .Six of them on the all day bull---t venue , four like him and two who had been there already as temps.

Guess what they gave the vacancies to the temps !!!! Now there's a thing .

So Mate wasted three whole days of annual leave for nothing but making up numbers and the tax payere footed the bill for 3 days of bull---t.

The guy who phoned my mate to tell him the temps had got the jobs was quite shocked with my mates reply , when he gave him a mouthfull.

HOLA4421

Does look like they are “advertising” this to justify the costs of their internal “hub” when in fact the HR department will be able to handle this on its own.

Yet another example of how the public sector doesn’t “get it”. :blink:

HOLA4422

No, it is NOT illegal. In fact it is illegal to make one person redundant and then employ someone else into a role in which a current employee could have been moved. The original employee would have grounds for unfair dismissal. This applies equally to Private enterprise as it does the public sector.

It is designed to stop an employer simply disengaging one employee and hiring another at a lower rate. It is a sensible safeguard and the advert is worded correctly.

HOLA4423
Guest absolutezero

Its just one big game that is costing the tax payers a fortune and keeping people in the H.R . Department in their jobs.

Mate of mine went to one London council for a job , whole day needed for test's , interviews, role play games , they paid everyone's fares and gave them lunch , plus the information packs that were sent to everyone.

Was told that he was underqualified for the job , but they had similar vacancies at a grade lower.

Went back for the other job another all dayer , told he was overqualified.

Then they phoned and he was told they had another two vacancies .Six of them on the all day bull---t venue , four like him and two who had been there already as temps.

Guess what they gave the vacancies to the temps !!!! Now there's a thing .

So Mate wasted three whole days of annual leave for nothing but making up numbers and the tax payere footed the bill for 3 days of bull---t.

The guy who phoned my mate to tell him the temps had got the jobs was quite shocked with my mates reply , when he gave him a mouthfull.

Or alternatively: he wasn't right for the job.

No conspiracy needed.

HOLA4424

Or alternatively: he wasn't right for the job.

No conspiracy needed.

Did it need three visit's for them to work that out !!!

No wasted two extra days for him and a big saving for the tax payer.

HOLA4425
Guest absolutezero

Did it need three visit's for them to work that out !!!

No wasted two extra days for him and a big saving for the tax payer.

Three visits for how many different jobs?

He was always free to not apply if he thought it was a waste of time.

Don't attribute it to conspiracy when the more obvious answer is that he just wasn't the man for the job.