House Price Crash Forum
Batgirly

Buying A Non Standard Construction House

Hi there,

I need a bit of advice.

We have just found out that the house we wanted to buy is of non standard construction (Dorlonco steel framed).

First Active are still deciding whether to lend on it or not but I'm not sure whether we should buy it or not.

Should we walk away and not touch it with a 10ft barge pole or if we do still want it should we reduce our offer?

Thanks

Check insurance costs too. I almost bought a house with a flat polymeric membrane roof last year and the quoted insurance was almost double that for a standard house.

Ironically, this type of roof (basically a single huge polymer sheet stretched over the roof) is far cheaper and more reliable than a regular tile roof. It's used on 1000s of factories and commercial buildings all over the world.

Hi there,

I need a bit of advice.

We have just found out that the house we wanted to buy is of non standard construction (Dorlonco steel framed).

First Active are still deciding whether to lend on it or not but I'm not sure whether we should buy it or not.

Should we walk away and not touch it with a 10ft barge pole or if we do still want it should we reduce our offer?

Thanks

It may not be standard, but it might be better! A steel framed house is sought after in Australia because it is more durable and won't rot. Better than dry or wet rot isn't it?

I know nothing of that particular brand, but make some investigations of a surveyor and builder and lenders generally to see what they all think. I would not dismiss it too quickly!