House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Argos Falls Flat As World Cup Fever Fails To Lift Tv Sales

Link

Surely they didn't expect a rush of people buying TVs this month? Don't they realise things have changed since the 2006 World Cup?

[sweeping generalization]Argos aim at the chav end of the market[/sweeping generalization]... Could this be a sign that the masses are waking up to the fact that houses aren't sources of equity, and the honeymoon may finally be over?

Link

Surely they didn't expect a rush of people buying TVs this month? Don't they realise things have changed since the 2006 World Cup?

[sweeping generalization]Argos aim at the chav end of the market[/sweeping generalization]... Could this be a sign that the masses are waking up to the fact that houses aren't sources of equity, and the honeymoon may finally be over?

It's more likely that everyone already has a new plasma/LCD TV.

It's more likely that everyone already has a new plasma/LCD TV.

Not me - I picked up a huge 2nd hand CRT for £20. the 8ugger weighs a ton...

I still have my JVC 28inch CRT. Went into the MP's shop (John Lewis) the other week to take a look at the latest offerings and the salesman said that, in his opinion, the LCDs were all rubbish and stick with the CRT until it breaks down. Muddy pictures, horrible motion blur and garish greens. Even the high end ones looked nasty compared with my CRT. Plasma a bit better but think of the leccy bills!

I shall wait until proper LEDs (not the backlite rubbish--total conjob) comes on the market at well below 1k for a 37-40 inch.

Not me either still got my 20" philips black box had for at least 12 years, got it fixed once when the on/off switch broke cost me £45 quid...oh and bought a freeview box few weeks ago...all up and running does me fine, no complaints. ;)

One of my friends has a CRT TV that his neighbours had been about to throw in a skip as they had just shelled out a couple of grand on a new flatscreen thingymajig. About 5 years later it still works fine.

TV (no matter if CRT, LCD, Plasma) is so 20th century, I haven't had one in over ten years.

For movies (DVD/Bluray) I have a nice DLP projector that gives me a 100" picture. :D

TV (no matter if CRT, LCD, Plasma) is so 20th century, I haven't had one in over ten years.

For movies (DVD/Bluray) I have a nice DLP projector that gives me a 100" picture. :D

Yes, that is the way to go. Ditched my TV 14 years ago. Projector and truly enormous screen + easyCinema

Apart from the 'flatness' which could be a benefit, the picture quality of flatscreens has always seemed absolutely appalling, could never see the appeal, retrogressive to CRT.

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable

Well, they seem to be plugging 3DTV but I don't think we're getting conned quite so easily this time round.

Is that where you buy the same LCD TV that you already have and pay £500 for a few pairs of glasses?

I still have my JVC 28inch CRT. Went into the MP's shop (John Lewis) the other week to take a look at the latest offerings and the salesman said that, in his opinion, the LCDs were all rubbish and stick with the CRT until it breaks down. Muddy pictures, horrible motion blur and garish greens. Even the high end ones looked nasty compared with my CRT. Plasma a bit better but think of the leccy bills!

I shall wait until proper LEDs (not the backlite rubbish--total conjob) comes on the market at well below 1k for a 37-40 inch.

We are still using a 28" non-widescreen CRT as our main telly, and we've been offered my brother's old CRT (moved in with fiance) if that one breaks down before we are ready to buy one to go on the wall. Like you we would like to get LED for a sensible price.

I have recently bought a 'Technika' 22" LCD with DVD from Tesco, to go in the kitchen. £170, it claims to have a Samsung screen in it. My ancient 14" JVC CRT died on us just as we were in the process of ripping out the old kitchen. Picture quality was secondary to the having TV/Radio/DVD/CD... in one next rectange and mounted neatly on a spare bit of wall..

How much of this switch to flat screens has been about gaining more space in the lounge? It's our main motivation for wanting to 'upgrade' our main TV.

This is exactly what I have found. I'm still using a SONY Trinitron CRT because when I went to look at HDTVs they were all complete rubbish. Not one HDTV matched the trinitron for motion/colour/picture handling etc.

I will get a HDTV when it can match EXACTLY my old Trinitron. There should be no problems with motion etc. I've yet to find such a TV and can only conclude that HDTVs are crap.

Yep , still have my 21" Goodmans & a Woolies' Freeview box. I have looked at these monster tvs in the shops and seen them round people houses and in all honesty I've yet to see a better picture than what I already have. In fact I saw one of those Sony? things advertised by Lt Sulu of Trek fame and the picture was pixely much like the rest of the ones I've seen.

no need for £££££s to be spent yet me thinks.

Dames