House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
punk-a-phunk

Daft Sellers' Delusions... 2 Years On Market: Why Not Reduce The Price?

Greets all. Long time lurker with mostly bearish views here. Hope this finds you all well; I've experienced the rare inclination to post.

So I was scanning through Rightmove today with the wonderful Property Bee plug in doing its fab jazztastic goodness. The ads in themeselves often amuse/astonish me in their innate nonsense, but I found a humdinger right here - 2 years on the market without a HINT of a reduction!

Historydate	eventFri Jun 11 14:27:08 2010	   * Agents Address found: 4 Hollybush Terrace, Westow Street, Upper Norwood, London, SE19 3SD   * Detailed Description found: Your Move are pleased to offer for sale this four bedroom detached period house situated in a sought after location within access to Crystal Palace British Rail Station and Upper Norwood High Street w...Tue May 11 22:37:19 2010	   * Subtitle changed: from '4 bedroom house ' to '4 bedroom detached house 'Wed Jan  6 00:20:53 2010	   * Agents Telephone changed: from '08453039881' to '08433150304'Sat Jul 25 11:38:06 2009	   * Brief Description changed: Your Move are pleased to offer for sale this four bedroom detached period house situated in a sought after location within access to Crystal Palace British Rail Station and Upper Norwood High Street with selection of bars, restaurants and shopping facilities. The accommodation comprises of:- Four... F... Thu Jun 18 00:15:50 2009	   * Agents Telephone changed: from '02087716211' to '08453039881'Mon Nov  3 23:57:24 2008	   * Title changed: Hamlet Road, Crystal Palace, London, London SE19 Fri May  9 00:06:57 2008	   * Agent found: YOUR MOVE   * Agents Location found: Upper Norwood   * Agents Telephone found: 02087716211   * Brief Description found: Your Move are pleased to offer for sale this four bedroom detached period house situated in a sought after location within access to Crystal Palace British Rail Station and Upper Norwood High Street w...   * Price found: £950,000   * Status found: Available   * Subtitle found: 4 bedroom house   * Title found: Crystal Palace, London, 

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-10055649.html

Two years! 950k! 4 bedroom detached place! This person has clearly not realised that this is the rougher bit of London, cuz Dulwich this clearly ain't... it's overpriced EVEN within the context of an inflated market and depressed buyers.

It reminds me of my insane OAP colleague whose son has similarly been trying to flog his one-bedder for a couple of years. She was bemoaning his lot for not being able to find a buyer.

I did suggest reducing the price, of course. I think this might be a taboo consideration, since the look that possessed her face in response could only have been bettered by me snorting a line of her dear father's cremated ashes...

So anyway, can we use this thread as a compendium of delusion? Daft seller's delusion? I think it could be cathartic fun. :)

I did suggest reducing the price, of course. I think this might be a taboo consideration, since the look that possessed her face in response could only have been bettered by me snorting a line of her dear father's cremated ashes...

So anyway, can we use this thread as a compendium of delusion? Daft seller's delusion? I think it could be cathartic fun. :)

It is quite simple.

A House is worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

Unless no-one is willing to pay what it is worth

(or the banks ignorantly say it's not worth as much as it clearly is)

Y

On the continent it is quite normal for property to be on the market for months even years...everything is for sale at a price when there is no urgency to sell. ;)

It is quite simple.

A House is worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

Unless no-one is willing to pay what it is worth

(or the banks ignorantly say it's not worth as much as it clearly is)

Dont talk rubbish, every property with more than 1 square foot is worth whatever the seller wants for it! In fact it should be compulsary for people to only be able to offer double what the seller asks for it.

And all those stupid buyers (like me) who think just because they arent in debt up to their eyeballs and are the one with the cash that they get some say in how much they pay for the property.

Im gonna rush out now and see if i can waste a million quid (which i dont have) on a one bedroom flat to help prop up the market, i can then use my savings for some coffee beans in a jug and a vase with some twigs in to spruce the place up and double my money by thursday :lol:

Call estate agent, "Is there any point leaving my house on the market?"

EA, 'Have you considered reducing the price?"

"Sorry, I can't sell it for any less."

EA, "Might as well leave it on. Things are picking up, it can't do any harm and I might have a few leads."

Basically, once you've taken the pictures, paid for the HIP, why bother taking it off?

Don't expect the EA to advertise it in papers or anything like that, but they'll list it on Rightmove and keep it on their books just in case.