House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Realistbear

Bad News Cancelled-- All Is Okay Now

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/world-stocks-advance-on-bright-economic-outlook-afp-43b0697ba261.html?x=0

World stocks advance on bright economic outlook
12:44, Friday 11 June 2010
Asian and European stock markets charged upwards on Friday, aided by an overnight rally on Wall Street, as optimism in the global economy returned ahead of the weekend, dealers said.

Forget all that bad news, debt issues, job losses, sovereign debt....everything is fine as the weekend comes up!

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/world-stocks-advance-on-bright-economic-outlook-afp-43b0697ba261.html?x=0

Asian and European stock markets charged upwards on Friday, aided by an overnight rally on Wall Street, as optimism in the global economy returned ahead of the weekend, dealers said.

Forget all that bad news, debt issues, job losses, sovereign debt....everything is fine as the weekend comes up!

Blimey!! Maybe England will win the World cup as well... ;)

Like CCCP in the 70's

"Tractor production is up"

Mike

No really, everything is okay now even the ECB say it is:

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/markets-too-pessimistic-on-euro-zone-say-ecb-members-reuters_molt-9193fc394f52.html?x=0

Markets too pessimistic on euro zone, say ECB members
Krista "Kristina" Hughes and Marc "Mark" Jones, 13:02, Friday 11 June 2010
FRANKFURT (Reuters) - The euro zone does not risk relapsing into recession and markets are overly pessimistic about Europe's common currency, members of the European Central Bank said on Friday.
The "irresponsible" behaviour of credit rating agencies
was compounding the problem, Juergen Stark, an ECB Executive Board member, said in a Reuters Insider Television discussion.

Naughty credit ratings agents thinking there was a credit crisis (Basil Fawlty voice:) Cuh cuh.......

We can trust the bankers can't we. Can't we? Err......maybe not. :(

I think they spoke too soon.

Anyone know what caused the precipitous drops about an hour and 20 mins ago?

US retail sales

US retail sales

U.S. retail sales fall for first time since Sept.

WASHINGTON (MarketWatch) - U.S. retail sales declined for the first time in eight months in May, tumbling a surprising 1.2%, the Commerce Department estimated Friday. Sales were mixed across sectors, dominated by large declines at hardware stores, auto dealers, gas stations, department stores and clothing stores. Modest gains were found in most other types of stores. Economists surveyed by MarketWatch were forecasting a 0.2% gain. It was the first decline in sales since September 2009. The big surprise in May was auto sales, which fell 1.7% by dollar value, according to the government estimates. Automakers had reported a modest increase in unit sales. Excluding autos, retail sales fell 1.1%, the largest decline since March 2009.

Surprising is the new unexpected.

In a similar vein to my last question, anyone know what caused the rebound?

I would have thought that a chunky fall in retail sales was worth another of the recent 2.5% falls - or is today not one of the days that the investment banks had colluded to crash the stock markets?

http://uk.finance.ya...7ba261.html?x=0

Comrad Bernanke: Now Winston, how many markets am I holding up?

Winston: why, all of them of course Comrad.

CB: think again Winston..how many markets am I holding up..look at my hand ( holds up fist an no fingers)...this is how many.

Winston: None Comrad? but, you have printed and printed and bought turds from banks and sovereigns...you have issued 2 trillion to unknown people...surely you are supporting them all.

CB: Now Winston, where have you heard such stories. its time for room 101 for you.

In a similar vein to my last question, anyone know what caused the rebound?

I would have thought that a chunky fall in retail sales was worth another of the recent 2.5% falls - or is today not one of the days that the investment banks had colluded to crash the stock markets?

If the market finishes up today despite that terrible news, I would say that then gives you a lot of information about the market, namely that it has turned bullish again.

Consumer sentiment:

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/consumer-sentiment-rises-in-june-2010-06-11' rel="external nofollow">
WASHINGTON (MarketWatch) -- U.S. consumer sentiment rose in early June, hitting the highest level since January 2008, according to media reports on Friday of the Reuters/University of Michigan index. The consumer sentiment index increased to 75.5 in June from 73.6 in May. Economists surveyed by MarketWatch had been expecting the sentiment index to hit 74 in June. The index hit a 30-year low of 55.3 in November 2008.

Sentiment beats reality hands-down, of course!