House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Masked Tulip

Need A New Torch

Having had my water meter woes this morning I realise that I need a new torch - did have two maglites, an AA small one and a big 4 cell job. Both fecked now.

To be frank, the 4 cell was not that more powerful than the AA one but cost considerably more.

I see that B&Q do the maglite AA for a tenner, which is the cheapest I can find, but are there better torches out there now?

Are these rechargeable ones any good? Have to say that many torches turn out to be pretty pathetic and maglites are the only ones I have found actually give you any brightness... but I have not bought a torch in ages so suggestions welcome...

With a bit of shopping around Maglites can be picked up really cheaply... last year I bought a three torch multipack (1 x keyring size solitaire, 1 x AA, and 1x 3D) from Costco for 16.99 which came with all the batteries !

I don't shop there anymore so can't comment if they have something similar. I know that TKMaxx had maglites for sale on their webiste a while ago, but their site seems to be under maintenance at the moment. Try taking a look later in the clearance section.

Having had my water meter woes this morning I realise that I need a new torch - did have two maglites, an AA small one and a big 4 cell job. Both fecked now.

To be frank, the 4 cell was not that more powerful than the AA one but cost considerably more.

I see that B&Q do the maglite AA for a tenner, which is the cheapest I can find, but are there better torches out there now?

Are these rechargeable ones any good? Have to say that many torches turn out to be pretty pathetic and maglites are the only ones I have found actually give you any brightness... but I have not bought a torch in ages so suggestions welcome...

LED torches are very very bright these days. I think some maglites can be bought in LED versions, but I don't know how they compare to other makes. I bought a cheap LED torch from China on eBay a few years ago and it's far brighter (and the batteries last far longer, and you don't have to replace the bulb) than a 2AA Maglite I had before. It doesn't have the fancy focussablity of the Maglite, basically consisting of an array of 18 or so bright white LEDs, but it lights up a large area with no problems. I think LEDs have got even better in the meantime though. I think that pretty much any LED-based torch will be much better than any torch you've ever had with incandescent bulbs.

Are B&Q Cheaper than Amazon?http://amzn.to/ad7GCJ How about a wind up touch?http://amzn.to/cvwycA

With a bit of shopping around Maglites can be picked up really cheaply... last year I bought a three torch multipack (1 x keyring size solitaire, 1 x AA, and 1x 3D) from Costco for 16.99 which came with all the batteries !

I don't shop there anymore so can't comment if they have something similar. I know that TKMaxx had maglites for sale on their webiste a while ago, but their site seems to be under maintenance at the moment. Try taking a look later in the clearance section.

That was a great deal. Alas, no costco near me. I will look on TKMaxx later on. Thanks.

Are B&Q Cheaper than Amazon?http://amzn.to/ad7GCJ How about a wind up touch?http://amzn.to/cvwycA

Yes, B&Q seem to be cheaper even without adding on Amazon's postage.

TKMaxx website seems to be working again, but only a couple of maglites on there and nothing super cheap:

The set is just a solitaire and a mini for the same price as the set I had (which also had a 3D) so nothing special. I think the price for the LED is good, but that £30 plus postage is a heck of a lot to spend on a torch. Especially one just for reading the water meter :rolleyes:

The set is just a solitaire and a mini for the same price as the set I had (which also had a 3D) so nothing special. I think the price for the LED is good, but that £30 plus postage is a heck of a lot to spend on a torch. Especially one just for reading the water meter :rolleyes:

I've spent much more than that on one in order to see where I'm going underground (need quality and reliability there - if you run out of light you're in big, big trouble), and used it for other things too. Quite handy having it mounted on a helmet. Getting around to the point an ordinary cheapish headtorch might be worth considering.

TKMaxx website seems to be working again, but only a couple of maglites on there and nothing super cheap:

Thanks for looking - the £10 Maglite AA from B&Q it is then.