House Price Crash Forum

Just Had A 6 Month Water Bill For £1100

HOLA441

Just got a bill this morning for £1100 for 6 months from Welsh Water.

They have given me a reading of 1089 when the last one was 675. Just checked my meter, it had not been opened in a while as I had to get a screwdriver to prise it open, and the reading is just below 689.

Waiting for a neighbour to come back from the shops so he can double-check my figures but, boy, what a shock that was.

Bad enough for a bloke of my age but the worry such things must put pensioners through.

Oh, in the bill they sent a letter saying that they were sending an engineer out to check for problems because my water use seems to have gone up considerably - i.e. almost double what the house has used in its entire 10 year lifetime!

HOLA442
Guest theboltonfury

They have given me a reading of 1089 when the last one was 675. Just checked my meter, it had not been opened in a while as I had to get a screwdriver to prise it open, and the reading is just below 689.

Waiting for a neighbour to come back from the shops so he can double-check my figures but, boy, what a shock that was.

Bad enough for a bloke of my age but the worry such things must put pensioners through.

Oh, in the bill they sent a letter saying that they were sending an engineer out to check for problems because my water use seems to have gone up considerably - i.e. almost double what the house has used in its entire 10 year lifetime!

That story would not be out of place in any local newspaper.

'Welsh man gets wrong bill shock'

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

That story would not be out of place in any local newspaper.

'Welsh man gets wrong bill shock'

No, that deserves a place in a national paper.

I can see it in the mail,

"Foreign owned utility overcharges man renting house worth £250K on a good day far too much, landlord outraged by valuation implications"

Wales is foreign, right?

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

No, that deserves a place in a national paper.

I can see it in the mail,

"Foreign owned utility overcharges man renting house worth £250K on a good day far too much, landlord outraged by valuation implications"

Wales is foreign, right?

Fail! (as a headline writer for the Wail) You managed to omit TMP's age!

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
Guest X-QUORK

For a decentish (read desperate) headline TMT needed to get angry and attack the meter with a hammer.

"Water meter beater in excreta"

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

If you're staying there a while you might want to cough up as a hedge against inflation.

Just a thought...

I've done that before now.

Got me into a bit of trouble with the gas board once. I paid their "estimated bill", which had estimated my use for one quarter as a little more than my actual use for the full year. I regarded that as having paid for the number of units on the estimated bill. When the price went up, they tried to revise it, and charge at a higher rate for units consumed after the price rise. I replied, in that case, where was my interest on money they were holding?

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

I wouldn't worry a jot TMT.

The bell-ends that read the metre aren't exactly the sharpest knives in the box.

I ended up with a gas bill for £1100 for a quarter - i checked the metre and sure enough the leftmost dial arrow was so close to the next number, and thats what they read - if they'd used their brains and realised that all the other numbers were 9999 meaning it was still at the previous number.

Yes, I know I don't make any sense :blink: , but just ring them with your correct metre reading.

Moral of the story: DON'T EVER PAY THESE TYPES OF BILLS BY DIRECT DEBIT - OR ELSE THAT'S WHAT THEY'LL TAKE OUT AND YOU WILL BE FVCKED, OVERDRAWN, MISS MORTGAGE PAYMENTS WHILE YOU GET THE MONEY BACK

HOLA4421

These cases are why you should be wary of paying by direct debit. They simply take the money from your account. The bank happily pays out so that it can send of some letters to you telling you that are overdrawn at £50 a pop and charging you interest. Then you have to convince them to give you your money back. Much better to pay them over the internet. If they ask for a silly amount you can simply refuse.

HOLA4422

New bill is £90.

My neighbour just checked his meter and it is covered in earth making it impossible to see the reading... but he still got a bill also... but not like mine.

What is bizarre about the bill is that the bill was for £1089.00 and the meter reading on the bill is 1089 - bit odd that bearing in mind that computers are supposed to be handling the bills...

HOLA4423

New bill is £90.

My neighbour just checked his meter and it is covered in earth making it impossible to see the reading... but he still got a bill also... but not like mine.

What is bizarre about the bill is that the bill was for £1089.00 and the meter reading on the bill is 1089 - bit odd that bearing in mind that computers are supposed to be handling the bills...

Quick, tell Erranta :lol:

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

You obviously have never been in a modern-day dungeon. You have no idea what you are missing! :blink:

I'm sorry, but you need a degree of humidity to keep the abscesses oozing, the bugs crawling, the detritis mounting and the fetid pong rising.

Call me nostalgic if you must, but I know what I like.

Archived