House Price Crash Forum
Flyer64

Original Curzon Owners

Hi all, we're trying to track down the original owners of the Curzon apartments in Belfast.

we'd like to ask their advice on how they handled things when

clanmill tried to buy over the site.We're in the same predicament now and desperate for help!!

Hi, according to this article below there were 14 private buyers who had signed up prior to the 42 units in the development being sold for social housing. There were/are 61 units in total so unsure what has transpired with the remaining.... The 14 buyers were apparently going to be offered their deposits back or to continue purchase - would imagine most took deposit back and got out...:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/7723207.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/8067964.stm

Thanks for the reply Lagansider- although now it seems we're mistaken! We were

under the assumption that buyers in the Curzon were resident when the sale to Clanmill

took place. Getting deposits back a simpler proposition than where we find ourselves!!

(we've been in for 2 years and now half the site is being sold to a housing association)

I think this problem may become more widespread if developers with loans in NAMA bank are forced to sell job lots to housing associations to get a speedy solution to their money problems. But that is only my thoughts on it - others with more knowledge of developing may disagree

Well, it's questionable at best to sell over half a "private residential development" to a housing association. Especially when most of those units were sale agreed with private buyers. I can sense we have a long fight ahead.

I think this problem may become more widespread if developers with loans in NAMA bank are forced to sell job lots to housing associations to get a speedy solution to their money problems. But that is only my thoughts on it - others with more knowledge of developing may disagree

where are housing associations going to get all the cash to buy these ?!

Pretty common practice I'd imagine in England where most big developments are required to have social housing element attached (I think). You are right to be disgusted.

Yeah, happens all the time over there ("mixed tenure developments") - but then you know from the outset what you're buying into. You make an informed choice. We're more than disgusted - we're angry and upset. We think we're being screwed. And we're not going to go away without making as much noise as possible. It's just a pity we don't have Curzon people to help us out - really thought they were residents at the time. But we've barked up so many trees we're bound to get help from somewhere!! :rolleyes:

did you buy to live in the apartment ?

Unfortunately yes. Wish I could turn the clock back now. Losing so much of its value when the market crashed was bad enough (but the risk you take) - this is just the final straw. :angry:

Very good question. Love to hear the answer if anybody knows.

I thought they were publically funded. So that's your taxes and mine thanks very much.

Flyer64,

I am assuming you bought into a med to large development, under the understanding the development (Estate in legal terms) was a private development. Otherwise I am assuming you would not have purchased.

I accept that that was also the intention of the developer. However, circumstances have altered for the developer and he may no longer be there.

However, the is a case of misrepresentation's here. You would have been handed a 'Estate Map' both in the form of a sales brochure and later in the form of numerous replies to your Solicitors pre-contract inquiries.

It is unlikely that your Solicitor would have directly asked the other side if it was their intention to introduce social housing, but you never know. If the developer has went under then the land can be sold to the highest bidder.

If I was very wealthy or on legal aid I would have a go at this. You need to find someone on the development, who is one of these to fight this.

Probably not win but, on legal aid worth a go.

This is differant to the UK. In that case you are buying into a development knowing that 10% will be Social. (And in the UK Social housing tennants can be nurses etc)

Flyer64,

I am assuming you bought into a med to large development, under the understanding the development (Estate in legal terms) was a private development. Otherwise I am assuming you would not have purchased.

I accept that that was also the intention of the developer. However, circumstances have altered for the developer and he may no longer be there.

However, the is a case of misrepresentation's here. You would have been handed a 'Estate Map' both in the form of a sales brochure and later in the form of numerous replies to your Solicitors pre-contract inquiries.

It is unlikely that your Solicitor would have directly asked the other side if it was their intention to introduce social housing, but you never know. If the developer has went under then the land can be sold to the highest bidder.

If I was very wealthy or on legal aid I would have a go at this. You need to find someone on the development, who is one of these to fight this.

Probably not win but, on legal aid worth a go.

This is differant to the UK. In that case you are buying into a development knowing that 10% will be Social. (And in the UK Social housing tennants can be nurses etc)

There are 22 apartments in Phase 1 (us) and we are fully occupied. Phase 2 has 24 apartments and it is this part that is being sold off. I don't know your definition of med-large but I think 46 apartments is pretty small! The developer has not gone under. Yet!

I did not buy into this! We're going to have a go at fighting it legally. And given we were not consulted by the housing association at any time (which we are led to believe should have happened) we're going to have a go at them too!

I thought (most likely wrongly) that the housing association standards for living space were higher than for the private sector. That was why apartments weren't being utilised in the UK for housing associations.

No, you're right- they have high standards. But in this particular case their apartments are not going to be finished to standards anywhere near ours. We were sold luxury apartment living and we got it. We were also sold 'private'.....

I thought (most likely wrongly) that the housing association standards for living space were higher than for the private sector. That was why apartments weren't being utilised in the UK for housing associations.

When they refer to standards they are talking about 'life times homes' etc. It is space allocation and they, for some reason like doors that you cant put your foot through etc.