House Price Crash Forum

Should Hpc-Ers Vote Lib Dem?

HOLA441

Labour were almost fanatical about propping up the property market. Took housing out of the CPI index so that house price inflation could continue unchecked. Pumped taxpayers' money into various schemes to keep the bubble inflated. Reduced CGT to 18% for second homes (Lawson had raised it to 40%). Most of their MPs had taxpayer-funded second homes of their own. All in all, a total disgrace. We've abolished boom and bust - this is sustainable house price growth, not a debt bubble, oh no sir.

Enter the Tories. I had high hopes that those of them who loathe government interference would be prepared to let the bubble burst. What are we getting? Yep, it's the traditional "silver spoon" Tories making their voices heard and insisting on their divine right to low tax on an unearned gain (whereas everyone else has to pay at 40% on income from work). Krusty as housing spokesperson - FFS!

While there seems to be an unholy alliance between the two main parties on the subject of house prices, the Lib Dems are the only party saying anything remotely sensible. Does anyone agree? I don't have a VI here - I don't support them and I didn't vote for them.

HOLA442

Labour were almost fanatical about propping up the property market. Took housing out of the CPI index so that house price inflation could continue unchecked. Pumped taxpayers' money into various schemes to keep the bubble inflated. Reduced CGT to 18% for second homes (Lawson had raised it to 40%). Most of their MPs had taxpayer-funded second homes of their own. All in all, a total disgrace. We've abolished boom and bust - this is sustainable house price growth, not a debt bubble, oh no sir.

Enter the Tories. I had high hopes that those of them who loathe government interference would be prepared to let the bubble burst. What are we getting? Yep, it's the traditional "silver spoon" Tories making their voices heard and insisting on their divine right to low tax on an unearned gain (whereas everyone else has to pay at 40% on income from work). Krusty as housing spokesperson - FFS!

While there seems to be an unholy alliance between the two main parties on the subject of house prices, the Lib Dems are the only party saying anything remotely sensible. Does anyone agree? I don't have a VI here - I don't support them and I didn't vote for them.

Watch and wait!

As I've said before the UK cannot recover without HPC.

The next 12 months are going to be dire for the thickies who bought thinking Feb 09 was the bottom. ;)

HOLA443

the Lib Dems are the only party saying anything remotely sensible. Does anyone agree? I don't have a VI here - I don't support them and I didn't vote for them.

As they say a party with no chance of gaining power can promise the earth, but see now, they have gained power through the coalition and already they are changing their spots. Nick Clegg is as two faced as the other party leaders and the current love-in I give 12 months before public anger against the aggressive cuts panics the Lib Dems and they will withdraw as they did in 1979.I know many right of centre Tories who wince when Cameron and Clegg are together in the media and one refers to them as Nip and Grip. :rolleyes:

HOLA444

I did have high hopes that any change of government would be enough but it seems as if the Tories are as determined to maintain the status quo as the last lot. They are missing their chance I believe. Houseprices have to fall they are overpriced by every measure available and they will fall, the Tories should have done something to trigger a proper fall whislt they could get away with blaming Labour.

The longer things keep going as they are they are going to get the blame, yet all they are doing are delaying the inevitable. They should have allowed IR's to rise - even if only slightly, to cut off any future speculation on prices and allowed them to fall back to some kind of natural level.

The longer this idiocy goes on the bigger mess there will be at the end and it is very sad for those who have been sucked into the market in the last 18 months or so.

HOLA445

Erm................ bit late isn't it? :unsure:

HOLA446
HOLA447

I did have high hopes that any change of government would be enough but it seems as if the Tories are as determined to maintain the status quo as the last lot. They are missing their chance I believe. Houseprices have to fall they are overpriced by every measure available and they will fall, the Tories should have done something to trigger a proper fall whislt they could get away with blaming Labour.

The longer things keep going as they are they are going to get the blame, yet all they are doing are delaying the inevitable. They should have allowed IR's to rise - even if only slightly, to cut off any future speculation on prices and allowed them to fall back to some kind of natural level.

The longer this idiocy goes on the bigger mess there will be at the end and it is very sad for those who have been sucked into the market in the last 18 months or so.

It's all very well saying they should trigger a proper fall whilst they could get away with blaming Labour, but if they did trigger a fall, which indeed they might, how are they going to be able to blame labour? We'd get it. Some others might get it. But there'd be a heap of people who see Gordon as having succesfully saved the housing market (indexes rising, it's a load of all todge, the market is stuffed, but at least the indexes are rising). Along comes Dave, doesn't lock in the recovery properly and down they go. All Dave's fault. Whatever malaise and pain this country is about to feel is because of Dave will say next leader of the labour party.

HOLA448