House Price Crash Forum

Youtube "kills" My Internet

'Bart'

HOLA441

Had this for a while now. If I go to YouTube, particularly if I click on my subscriptions, the entire Internet just stops. Resetting the router doesn't work, nor does "diagnose and repair". Eventually, the page will load. Sometimes YouTube works as normal from then on, most times, clicking on a different subscribed channel will produce the same results.

It doesn't just affect the web stuff, email, Skype, everything goes off.

I often get much the same thing happening when I visit iPlayer, but not to the same annoying degree.

I could have been surfing happily for hours beforehand but as soon as I go to YouTube, the connection flatlines.

Now both of the problem pages are streaming media sites.

Could Virgin Media be somehow "hobbling" them? They must be big bandwidth drains.

Other info:

Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit

Kaspersky Internet Security 9

Malwarebytes

10 meg broadband connection

HOLA442
Guest happy?

Had this for a while now. If I go to YouTube, particularly if I click on my subscriptions, the entire Internet just stops. Resetting the router doesn't work, nor does "diagnose and repair". Eventually, the page will load. Sometimes YouTube works as normal from then on, most times, clicking on a different subscribed channel will produce the same results.

It doesn't just affect the web stuff, email, Skype, everything goes off.

I often get much the same thing happening when I visit iPlayer, but not to the same annoying degree.

I could have been surfing happily for hours beforehand but as soon as I go to YouTube, the connection flatlines.

Now both of the problem pages are streaming media sites.

Could Virgin Media be somehow "hobbling" them? They must be big bandwidth drains.

Other info:

Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit

Kaspersky Internet Security 9

Malwarebytes

10 meg broadband connection

They used to do shaping - not sure if they still do but fibre-optic cable is pretty strong stuff.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

Had this for a while now. If I go to YouTube, particularly if I click on my subscriptions, the entire Internet just stops.

So it's your fault ...

I've got a Virgin cable connection which seems to be about 10Mb as well, and I haven't seen anything like this (my main problem with Virgin is trying to work out how they come up with their bills: I'm sure they're overcharging me, but I find it impossible to penetrate their tariffs/bundles/whatever).

Have you tried it with a different browser/computer/operating system?

HOLA446

Have you tried it with a different browser/computer/operating system?

I'll do some tests and get back to you.

It might be Kaspersky. It's on my laptop too but I can switch it off and see what happens.

It all goes through the same router but I don't think that's the problem.

HOLA447

With a 10MB its not virgin impacting your link, I'm with them and download/upload a fair bit and control my own bandwidth to stay with their throttling limits, even if you do manage to get throttled you will still get at least 25% of your bandwidth. see here: Virgin Traffic management

Try another PC, download a ubuntu liveCD and have a browse with that. Might be worth changing your AV software, because it will be your PC.

I've seen routers crash due to data, but that is normally only when having thousands of connections to a Bittorrent swarm.

HOLA448

even if you do manage to get throttled you will still get at least 25% of your bandwidth.

I've experienced their throttling at times and I can recognize when the speed drops off (Broadband Speed Checker confirms it).

This is something different, a complete loss of internet access that only affects one (possibly 2 sites). It's very easy to replicate so it's not a random issue.

I'll do those tests on my other machine in a bit, it may eliminate one or two "suspects".

HOLA449

is it the same in all browsers? try chrome and firefox? As for killing your internet, what is your normal connection speed, a video will put more packets down the line, if you are on a slow connection then you will get more errors and your more likely yo be disconnected.

Traffic shaping would slow you down not disconnect you, try turning off your internet security temporarily and see if this makes a difference (aslong as you are behind a normal NATTED router)

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

I have virgin and on occasion the crappy router will die and need to be reset (just pull the power out for a couple of secs)

Other than that have you tried clearing all your cookies & cache? That can sometimes bork individual websites or ads that stop multiple sites loading.

HOLA4412

from a DOS window ( CMD from the run box)

try: netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

this resets the IP stack and may cure the problem

you need to be logged on as administrator.

HOLA4413

Not sure if this is relevant but here goes.

I found that when browsing on some pages that the o2 flash adverts would just freeze the internet. Eventually it would come back but it could take a long time and on some occasions I had to control/alt/delete to get out of the program. This seems to be more of a problem with Firefox however it is possible to change the graphics accelerator setting lower to lessen the problem.

HOLA4414

Archived