House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Wario

Shoeshine Boy Speaks?

Just picked up David Buik of BGC Partners wurbling on with Mickey "Pearly King" Clarke about it.

You know, Atomic Number 79, unlikely to need a coat of Hammerite etc.?

Radio 5, just after 18:40 hrs. Missed most of it due to cooking mayhem.

So Mickey says you could just pop along to a local coin dealer, pick up a few Brittanias or sovs.?

Yer man sez, naaw, best bet is to pop along to your friendly neighbourhood bank [holy shit!] for the best deal on that, as they'll have good contacts with bullion boys ...

My world is crumbling. A few days ago RB says cash out of shares, so naturally I thinks to meself "righto, thanks RB, I'll stop dithering, looks like a buy" on the solid foundation of the 'RB ContraroBoost' identified by some clever chap a while back.

Now that stuff that was only briefly valuable, for 14 minutes one day in the 1980s, has been mentioned as a reasonable punt for the commoners, on Al Jabeeba.

I am so conflicted! What's a girl to do? They're invariably both wrong ...

Edited by Wario

"If I see a bubble I buy!" George Soros

No one knows the top of a bubble. Heck people were flipping offplan flats in 2004, even after 10 years of property price rises.

Taking risk is all part of the game.

Managing that risk avoids "gambling."

You've got to speculate to accumulate!

Edited by Money Spinner

I for one, do not believe this Chinese miracle. They have internalised their growth and it is well known the distorted effect it has had on their economy. No doubt some demand has picked up. But it is weak. The chinese are much more likely to want to stage a small correction ingold and then buy a rather large holding. They want to dump US treasusries just when the market will say they are safe and a good longer term bet.

Ask yourself/can you observe

1. Are there regular features on TV/radio/newspapers

2. It is different this time?

3. It is my pension

4. It can only go up

5. What is the replacement cost? How much does it cost to mine?

6. How many new company start ups involving the asset are there? IPOs?

7. Banks want to get in on the action of bubbles - are they funding these new ventures? Liar loans?

8. How many new overnight millionaires are there from the industry?

Look back at other bubbles, the clues are in history. History can predict the future.

Edited by Money Spinner

... through ...

Look back other bubbles, the clues are in history. History can predict the future.

True enough. Thanks MS.

It was just the plus-four-clad-one responding to an off-the-wall suggestion, I suppose, so Keep Calm And Carry On, eh?

The hideous Orc skull-drum beat and thighbone-trumpet blaring of the british press hasn't been heard yet, and everybody who finds out (damn you, turbocider!) that I dabble looks at me as though I was genuinely insane.

(As opposed to a bit testy, now and again :) )

So Mickey says you could just pop along to a local coin dealer, pick up a few Brittanias or sovs.?

Are there local coin dealers for most people? I don't know of anywhere in Sheffield where I could do that.

Are there local coin dealers for most people? I don't know of anywhere in Sheffield where I could do that.

Tiny backstreet collectors' emporium for me, very fair spread on prices, cash only, wear a hat and comedy moustache, ring bell, sidle in.

Monsieur shovels some onto the counter for you to mooch over vis-a-vis dates or mints, whatever, take the ones you fancy (never had a wrong'un yet, he turns over too much to be arsed with it I guess). Bye, Mr *cough* "Bond".

Ain't been for a bit. Trouble is local restaurateurs (or similar cash business :rolleyes: ) who have fambly popping back and forth from The Ould Country tend to clean him out, vicky silver too, gagging for it when I've been in. And TBH the PoG's been a bit rich for me recently, so I've been mucking about with other (actually useful, possibly :lol: ) Sachwerte into which I can fliehe.

"If I see a bubble I buy!" George Soros

No one knows the top of a bubble. Heck people were flipping offplan flats in 2004, even after 10 years of property price rises.

Taking risk is all part of the game.

Managing that risk avoids "gambling."

You've got to speculate to accumulate!

I guess you have never heard of honest work and the satisfaction you get from accomplishing something useful (which is far greater than the moment of euphoria triggered buy a gambling/speculation win).

Bramalls gold room opposite hillsborough sell coins afaik, and maybe uk bullion on eccy road

Edited by rustyfunk

2. It is different this time?

3. It is my pension

4. It can only go up

5. What is the replacement cost? How much does it cost to mine?

6. How many new company start ups involving the asset are there? IPOs?

7. Banks want to get in on the action of bubbles - are they funding these new ventures? Liar loans?

Look back at other bubbles, the clues are in history. History can predict the future.

I would add 9. Everyone is buying on margin. It would be absolute folly to waste your own money (that you don't have anyway), when you can get rich using someone else's. 100% guaranteed of course.