House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
tao

Even Worse Than We Think

It doesn't seem to have appeared on the media's horizon yet ... anyone else getting the feeling things seem to be unravelling fast?

Someone is announcing major job losses every day at the moment. A few years ago this was rare. Or is is just perception?

Someone is announcing major job losses every day at the moment. A few years ago this was rare. Or is is just perception?

No it is more than just perception. The situation is accelerating, fast. It is going to be a long cold winter.

Guest Charlie The Tramp

The same thing happened soon after Thatcher came to power, as we approached the end of 1979 and into 1980, job losses were a regular slot on ITV`s ten o clock news, finally ending in four mllion unemployed and those figures weren`t fiddled.

Strange times, unemployment, recession, inflation 1980 at 18%, high interest rates 16% all went hand in hand. :(

Edited by Charlie The Tramp

Charlie, I remember that well. The News at Ten would announce the latest job cuts and redundancies regularly as if they were football results. Remember also the endless "Green shoots of recovery" phrase that seemed to be the mantra of the Tories in the early 90's as they seemed to be wishing their way out of recession.

It doesn't seem to have appeared on the media's horizon yet ... anyone else getting the feeling things seem to be unravelling fast?

Was the choice of the word 'unravelling' a wry joke?

Jobs go at Toilet-Paper factory...I can see the tabloid headlines now:

'Economy unravelling'

'The sh*t has hit the fan'

'Jobs go down the toilet'

'Toilet paper workers caught short'

'no double-ply comfort for toilet paper workers'

etc.etc....

Friday is job cut day.

220 jobs face axe at Burnley factory Burnley Express, Lancashire 09:53

(3600) - Axe hangs over Svenska jobs The Northern Echo 09:45

(125) - Lloyds TSB to move 125 jobs to India Guardian Unlimited 09:41

Edited by OnlyMe

Guest growl
Charlie, I remember that well. The News at Ten would announce the latest job cuts and redundancies regularly as if they were football results.

Yes. I remember a local news program up north. Nationwide or Look North West or something. That chap of 'Its a knock-out' did some compaigne 'buy british'.

Don't think it did much good though. A bit like people were saying a couple of years back about not using companies or banks that started using foreign call centers and how some banks said. 'We'll never outsource.'

Short memory some people.

Charlie, I remember that well. The News at Ten would announce the latest job cuts and redundancies regularly as if they were football results. Remember also the endless "Green shoots of recovery" phrase that seemed to be the mantra of the Tories in the early 90's as they seemed to be wishing their way out of recession.

I remember it was more like the weather, there was a map of the UK with graphics like factories instead of the usual clouds and numbers of redundancies like temperatures. It always seemed to be raining on Birmingham, Manchester and Scotland, some things never change.

Quick straw-poll...I'm holding out till 2007...somebody tell me that the recession and house-falls will hit by then. :)

(I honestly don't think I can be arsed to wait more than 18 more months...that will mean I'd have waited almsot 3 years from the time I was 'ready' to buy).

Friday is job  cut day.

(3600)  - Axe hangs over Svenska jobs The Northern Echo 09:45

(125)  - Lloyds TSB to move 125 jobs to India Guardian Unlimited 09:41

220 jobs face axe at Burnley factory

A TROUBLED manufacturing firm is on the brink of closure and the likely loss of 220 jobs.

Bosses at Viktor Achter Ltd, based at Rossendale Road Industrial Estate, announced to workers yesterday that a 90-day consultation period will begin on September 1st, with the likely result being the closure of the company.

The company announced that reduced demand for its products and difficult trading circumstances mean that unless a solution is found during the consultation period 220 people would have to be made redundant.

Viktor Achter, which manufactures interior upholstery and textiles for the car industry, has been based in Burnley since 1988 but has faced an ever uncertain future in recent months in the face of cheaper competition from abroad.

Mr David Salmon, human resources manager, said: "This announcement is a huge blow to everyone who has worked together to make the plant competitive despite the difficult trading conditions.

"We will be discussing the details of this announcement with our associates and look at ways of minimising the impact, hopefully to reduce the number of people that could be faced with redundancy. We plan to work with our associated companies located nearby to find as many alternative jobs as possible for our employees should the worst happen".

Mr Salmon added that the company's customers had increasingly been buying products from cheaper, overseas markets, particularly in the Far East. The situation had become increasingly difficult in recent years.

He added: "The competition had put greater price pressure on us, and we can't sustain the business on that basis. It has been a continuous struggle and the whole workforce has worked extremely hard to turn it around.

"A lot of our other competitors have already disappeared in the face of this competition. We still want to save the business, but we have got to be realistic."

Mr Geoff Farley, director of manufacturing, said: "It is very sad that we should need to make this announcement.

"Our employees have worked hard to make the plant successful. The reality is that most of our customers are based overseas and are buying cheaper foreign imports."

dominic.collis@eastlancsnews.co.uk

http://www.burnleytoday.co.uk/ViewArticle2...ticleID=1126811

P.S you put these figures down twice. ;)

Australia - Holden (General Motors) has announced today that 1400 jobs are to go at its Adelaide factory.

And some economist on the news said that this would lead to an ADDITIONAL 3000 or so indirect job losses. Given that Adelaide only has about 1 million people this scale of job losses is not insignificant. And it comes on top of the recent closure of Mitsubishi's engine plant also located there.

Also in South Australia metals giant Zinifex is to cut 70 jobs from the Port Pirie smelter and has not ruled out more job losses. It seems all is not as good as it seems in the metals business after all.

So it's not just the UK. This economic situation is global...

Edited by Smurf1976

job losses are only going to get worse. We'd need massive wage inflation to make fecking houses affordable again. With massive wage inflation, companies will not be able to keep costs low, and force them to cut jobs or move to east europe etc. So basically stupid houses prices would cause it.

Fife paper mill lays off 70 employees (not sure how to add the link - BBC news link - Tues 23/8)

They state that rising fuel bills contributed to the decision to reduce the payroll by a third.

If this is just the start, how will things look 6 months/ 1 year from now ??

Too scary to think.

Chocolate Girl

job losses are only going to get worse. We'd need massive wage inflation to make fecking houses affordable again. With massive wage inflation, companies will not be able to keep costs low, and force them to cut jobs or move to east europe etc. So basically stupid houses prices would cause it.

Ironic indeed!

Guest Charlie The Tramp
Remember also the endless "Green shoots of recovery" phrase that seemed to be the mantra of the Tories in the early 90's as they seemed to be wishing their way out of recession.

Same thing today as the government, VIs, and the lemmings are wishing their way out of a HPC and a very nasty recession. :(

Fife paper mill lays off 70 employees (not sure how to add the link - BBC news link - Tues 23/8)

.....considering the situation with bog roll,I really don't think they could have picked a worse time!!!

in diarrhoea speak,if they can just hold on a little bit longer...............

the loo roll makers will be doing a roaring trade from all the BTL's getting more than a bit nervous!!!!!.....I guess the loo roll folks will all be re-hired due to increased demand soon!

...chins up(backsides down) boys!

Another day, another big job loss announcement. Today in Australia it's Qantas shedding 200 or so jobs at airports. This comes on top of other recent job cuts by Qantas.

Meanwhile there are suggestions that a rival airline is to outsource call centre work overseas. So there could be jobs to go there too.

So, job losses are starting to mount in UK and Oz. Anyone heard what's going on in the US?

Don't worry, the toilet roll industry usually picks up during a house price crash ;)

Andrew

I dont use toilet paper, i wipe my ass with pictures of kirsty the clown, sure its a bit rough and does a poor job and costs more than i can afford but its perfect for bullshot.

apoligies to anyone having scary mind images