House Price Crash Forum

Ditching Bad Habits

HOLA441

Here's one in the eye for negativity, how does one achieve thier goals? Or more pertinently, how does one who is ploughing a comfortable rut, overcome those behaviours and achieve stretch targets? I have been happy to do what i do, how i do it, for a while but diminishing resources at work has meant the spotlight has turned on me. I have been given a number of tasks that are both technically and behaviourally beyond my current performance but I need to complete them. How do I get there?

Or, I am lazy, I am happy to be lazy and I have managed just fine till now but I'm very soon to have a problem with being lazy. How do i get from lazy me to more productive me?

Take your pick.

HOLA442

Here's one in the eye for negativity, how does one achieve thier goals? Or more pertinently, how does one who is ploughing a comfortable rut, overcome those behaviours and achieve stretch targets? I have been happy to do what i do, how i do it, for a while but diminishing resources at work has meant the spotlight has turned on me. I have been given a number of tasks that are both technically and behaviourally beyond my current performance but I need to complete them. How do I get there?

Or, I am lazy, I am happy to be lazy and I have managed just fine till now but I'm very soon to have a problem with being lazy. How do i get from lazy me to more productive me?

Take your pick.

years ago when I was an apprentice the guy I worked with gave me some advice of which I have never let go. He said "If they give you a job you don't want to do mate. F*** it up. They won't ask you again." Now that's held me in good steed all my life. Otherwise you can bite the bullet offer to retrain and give the headache back to them. They can pay for your courses and the time you are away, but at l least you will look keen. I should think in this day and age you need every resource that comes your way

Good Luck

HOLA443

Tricky one. Could this become a permanent extra workload?

I have repeatedly shot myself in the foot by going over and above my contracted job, curiously it was the resentment from colleagues at my successful completion rather than messing it up. But it also then became expected of me, and the cycle repeats. Then I got fired with the connivance of those colleagues.

Can you share the load?

HOLA444

years ago when I was an apprentice the guy I worked with gave me some advice of which I have never let go. He said "If they give you a job you don't want to do mate. F*** it up. They won't ask you again." Now that's held me in good steed all my life. Otherwise you can bite the bullet offer to retrain and give the headache back to them. They can pay for your courses and the time you are away, but at l least you will look keen. I should think in this day and age you need every resource that comes your way

Good Luck

No, its not as far as re-training, just doing what I hould be able to do and the support is there to find out what I need to but it requires a pro-active rather than reactive attitude which is what I am no good at.

Tricky one. Could this become a permanent extra workload?

I have repeatedly shot myself in the foot by going over and above my contracted job, curiously it was the resentment from colleagues at my successful completion rather than messing it up. But it also then became expected of me, and the cycle repeats. Then I got fired with the connivance of those colleagues.

Can you share the load?

The "permanent extra workload" as you call it is probably the workload for the position. I am not fussed either way although it is frightening to think what else I would do but equally exciting to find an alternative opportunity as my affairs are in order.

If nothing else though, my boss doesn't deserve the shit from his bosses of me not being able to do the job.

HOLA445

I've had that problem - you finish all of your work early one day and ask if there is anything else that needs doing which then becomes part of your job, then you do something else once and it becomes part of your job too. Then you get to a busy period in the stuff that is actually your job and are struggling to get it done but you're still expected to do all of these extra things that shouldn't even be your job. I was in just one of those busy periods where my in tray just wasn't getting any emptier because work was piling in quicker than I could do it when my manager walked into the office, passing the filing cabinets on the way and asked me to go get a file for him. This resulted in a major screaming fit from me where I told him in graphic terms where he could stick his file and me walking out. The most annoying thing was this got me fired from the temping agency I was working for at the time despite the fact that the overall boss rang me up the next day apologising for how I was treated.

So many more things became 'my fault', other staff saw the opportunity to dump there problems on me. One guy who had got completely out of his depth with programming managed to dump his entire failure on me even though I know zero about programming! Once it starts it is very difficult to stop.

Good on that boss for doing the decent thing, and good for you for saying stuff it!

HOLA446

I have been given a number of tasks that are both technically and behaviourally beyond my current performance but I need to complete them. How do I get there?

Go straight on to the attack!.

Who was the management tosser without the gumption to realise these are team tasks, which are much more complex and demanding than those w@nkers in the Main office could ever understand? Let's name names and kick arses here!!

If they think they are going to fob you off with inexperienced help, they can forget it! You want experienced and qualified assistance, not time-serving incompetents!

Given the right help, you are prepared to supervise them at an overview and strategy level, leading your team with Churchillian aggression, drive and purpose. Providing your team give 100%; pull their full weight; commit 120% and work like donkeys - you will personally lead that team to deliver a first class result!

The firm should thank God you are not making this an HR matter, let alone taking it to Brussels as a Human Rights issue.

Then sit back and supervise.....

HOLA447
Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable

1. Tell your boss you need to have some NLP training paid for by them.

2. Find a mucky tart who does receipts.

3. Back at work, just see how it pans out.

HOLA448

Who was the management tosser without the gumption to realise these are team tasks, which are much more complex and demanding than those w@nkers in the Main office could ever understand? Let's name names and kick arses here!!

If they think they are going to fob you off with inexperienced help, they can forget it! You want experienced and qualified assistance, not time-serving incompetents!

Given the right help, you are prepared to supervise them at an overview and strategy level, leading your team with Churchillian aggression, drive and purpose. Providing your team give 100%; pull their full weight; commit 120% and work like donkeys - you will personally lead that team to deliver a first class result!

The firm should thank God you are not making this an HR matter, let alone taking it to Brussels as a Human Rights issue.

Fantastic :)

HOLA449

That just might work...

Seriously though, I'm after "self-help" but don't recommend a book, I'll give up after 5 pages.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

In order to fit in on the shop floor with your workmates, you need to prove that you can work as hard and as fast as anyone, but you also need to prove that you can throw a spanner in the works too.

HOLA4412

Write it all down.

Make a plan.

Tick it off.

When i make a list of things to do, it scares me by the large number of tasks and I am perturbed from starting anything.

I am perfectly capable of turning the simplest of tasks into a long list of step by step instructions to cause the same response, perhaps intentionally.

I know what i need to do but not how I will compel myself to do it

HOLA4413

Archived