House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest_flaps_*

Radio Sheffield

Channel flicking on the radio this morning and I caught the back end of an interview on Radio Sheffield. It was with an independant finacial adviser, who basically said "It's time to stop looking at houses as investment vehicles as they are not anymore, but instead as somewhere we would like to live". He also pointed out that money made on houses is purely "wooden dollars" as you have to sell to realise the gain and then must rent, or pay even more for a bigger place and that the only people who really gain from high house prices are those who are selling to move abroad and that it is time to look at other areas to invest (although he was unable to offer any when pushed!!)

The presenter agreed with everything he said and offered no counter arguments, nor did he try and throw in any of the standard HPI media obsessive cliques either.

Not much of an anecdotal I admit, but was refreshing to hear some common sense without a presenter then trying to offer 'optimism' to their listeners by countering what was said with the usual rhetoric.

Was also good to hear it pointed out that financial 'gains' in housing really aren't that at all for the majority of people.

Maybe, slowly, it is starting to sink in!

Channel flicking on the radio this morning and I caught the back end of an interview on Radio Sheffield. It was with an independant finacial adviser, who basically said "It's time to stop looking at houses as investment vehicles as they are not anymore, but instead as somewhere we would like to live". He also pointed out that money made on houses is purely "wooden dollars" as you have to sell to realise the gain and then must rent, or pay even more for a bigger place and that the only people who really gain from high house prices are those who are selling to move abroad and that it is time to look at other areas to invest (although he was unable to offer any when pushed!!)

The presenter agreed with everything he said and offered no counter arguments, nor did he try and throw in any of the standard HPI media obsessive cliques either.

Not much of an anecdotal I admit, but was refreshing to hear some common sense without a presenter then trying to offer 'optimism' to their listeners by countering what was said with the usual rhetoric.

Was also good to hear it pointed out that financial 'gains' in housing really aren't that at all for the majority of people.

Interesting ancedotal, and what a change for a presenter to offer no counter arguments at the suggestion that it is the end of property providing an endless increase in cash.

Let's hope we now start to hear more of this in the general media.

Good on him.

I find it ridiculous that mostly intelligent people need these arguments pointed out to them.

And when you do exactly that, 9 out of 10 'homeownerists' look at you with smirks of incredulous pity.

The more sensible people like this guy get this type of air-time, the better.

It's mostly homeownerist sentiment that will trigger any HP drop, so keep on planting those seeds (of HP reality)

Did anyone else catch the "Accidental Landlord" piece in the London Evening Standard last night?

I tried to find a link but funnily enough it doesn't appear to be published on the website.

The first paragraph was basically this.....

"Why does everybody hate Buy To Let landlords at he moment. I have been attacked on internet forums over the last week just because I am a BTL landlord and I am against the GCT increase. People have even called me vile. Don't these sad little people with no jobs realise that I am providing a valuable public service out of the kindness of my heart etc etc etc......"

I like to think that he had been reading one of the many Daily mail articles we commented on so heavily last week. Or maybe its a different forum.

Channel flicking on the radio this morning and I caught the back end of an interview on Radio Sheffield. It was with an independant independent finacial financial adviser, who basically said "It's time to stop looking at houses as investment vehicles as they are not anymore, but instead as somewhere we would like to live". He also pointed out that money made on houses is purely "wooden dollars" as you have to sell to realise the gain and then must rent, or pay even more for a bigger place and that the only people who really gain from high house prices are those who are selling to move abroad and that it is time to look at other areas to invest (although he was unable to offer any when pushed!!)

The presenter agreed with everything he said and offered no counter arguments, nor did he try and to throw in any of the standard HPI media obsessive cliques cliches either.

Such sage financial advice, wrought from the University of Life, charged for by commission.

Pedantry is free of charge.

Edited by Cicero