House Price Crash Forum

Racists!

Dubai

HOLA441
Guest Mrs Bradley

This is about as racist as you can get..... huh.gif

Black and Asian MPs should not vote for Di-Russ Abbott on the basis that she is a buffoon..

Anyway, they just got rid of a Brown they did not like tongue.gif

Leave it Quorky!! Topical quip biggrin.gif

Nice to see you back, Bosh.biggrin.gif

HOLA442
HOLA443

Just thinking about printing it on a t-shirt, that's all.

I'd be careful with that if I were you.

It's not racist to say that the worst African Leaders have been black (just inaccurate); but if I saw a middle-aged white bloke with a beer gut wearing a t-shirt saying that and thinking he was oh-so-clever, I'd assume he was racist.

HOLA444

Yes, this kind of thinking is prejudicial: both racially and in terms of gender.

Nominating someone for leadership based solely on gender and race is prejudicial thinking: it assumes that someone is appropriate to represent a group because they have the same skin colour and/or genitalia as that group, rather than having had similar life experiences, opinions or values.

The argument used in this case to nominate Abbott is similar to arguing that a working-class woman should vote for, say, the last Mitford sister, the Duchess of Devonshire, if she were to stand as an MP in their area because the Duchess is female and "we need more women in politics" -- it is a totally ludicrous political argument.

I find it astonishing that still, in this day and age, there is this assumption that people are politically, socially, culturally and economically similar in their political opinions, attitudes and outlook just because they share a similar skin tone, ethnic heritage, gender or religion.

HOLA445

They're basically asking for all BME Labour MP's to show "solidarity" and vote for somebody simply due to the colour of her skin, regardless if they agree with her on policy grounds.

If you walked into a job interview and told the panel they should award you the job on the basis that you too have brown hair, just like them, then you'd be laughed out of the room.

MP's will be asked to show "solidarity" in their votes all the time purely for being part of a "party grouping" and nobody goes around claiming that is wrong.

Voters generally elect people based on "solidarity", irrespective of whether or not they agree with, or even know, the candidates personal views, and nobody says that is discrimination.

Maggie is said to have selected governement ministers and other employees based on their being "one of us" and so on. No doubt some people did disguise their personal views/policies and say 'award me the job, I'm one of you'. And nobody laughed them out of the room. I've no doubt Blair did similar.

Either all such "one of us" groupings are wrong, or none of them are. Saying this OK most of the time but you're not allowed when a group of the same race would seem discriminatory. ;)

HOLA446
Guest X-QUORK

Saying this OK most of the time but you're not allowed when a group of the same race would seem discriminatory. ;)

You see no moral hazard in actively seeking the "black vote"?

HOLA447

Yes, this kind of thinking is prejudicial: both racially and in terms of gender.

Nominating someone for leadership based solely on gender and race is prejudicial thinking: it assumes that someone is appropriate to represent a group because they have the same skin colour and/or genitalia as that group, rather than having had similar life experiences, opinions or values.

The argument used in this case to nominate Abbott is similar to arguing that a working-class woman should vote for, say, the last Mitford sister, the Duchess of Devonshire, if she were to stand as an MP in their area because the Duchess is female and "we need more women in politics" -- it is a totally ludicrous political argument.

I find it astonishing that still, in this day and age, there is this assumption that people are politically, socially, culturally and economically similar in their political opinions, attitudes and outlook just because they share a similar skin tone, ethnic heritage, gender or religion.

I find it astonishing that you think that is the motivation.

Archived