House Price Crash Forum

Racists!

Dubai

HOLA441

This is outright racism..... but will anyone get taken to Court?

With less than 24 hours OBV is appealing to all Black and Asian MP’s to nominate Diane Abbott, for the Labour leadership.

We urge them to do so to ensure Ms Abbott receives the required 33 nominations to be on the final ballot paper. Just by being on the ballot paper Abbott will ensure the race and gender equality become key elements within the leadership debate.

Even if those MP’s who nominate Diane went on to publicly vote and support another candidate the political point that race and gender matter would have been made.

Furthermore, it will demonstrate that a diverse group of Black and Asian MP’s can come together, as a group, whenever necessary and speak with one voice. Black and Asian leadership will have taken a quantum leap forward.

Diane’s chance has been given a boost by the possible withdrawal of John McDonnell MP, whose votes could transfer to Diane giving her a fighting chance.

Lets do something we often find difficult: show solidarity.

http://operationblackvote.wordpress.com/2010/06/08/its-time-for-black-solidarity/

HOLA442
HOLA443

Or more accurately, not even a little bit racist. Unless you are a hysterical shrieking Daily Mail reader.

With less than 24 hours OWV is appealing to all White MP’s to nominate Enoch Powell, for the Labour leadership.

We urge them to do so to ensure Mr. Powell receives the required 33 nominations to be on the final ballot paper. Just by being on the ballot paper Powell will ensure the race and gender equality become key elements within the leadership debate.

Even if those MP’s who nominate Enoch went on to publicly vote and support another candidate the political point that race and gender matter would have been made.

Furthermore, it will demonstrate that a diverse group of White MP’s can come together, as a group, whenever necessary and speak with one voice. White leadership will have taken a quantum leap forward.

Enoch's chance has been given a boost by the possible withdrawal of John McDonnell MP, whose votes could transfer to Enoch giving him a fighting chance.

Lets do something we often find difficult: show solidarity

Aah, the old "Daily Mail" reader ploy! Is the above racist? I'm quite certain that if that was posted on the web, somebody would be hauled before the Beak in short order!

HOLA444

With less than 24 hours OWV is appealing to all White MP’s to nominate Enoch Powell, for the Labour leadership.

We urge them to do so to ensure Mr. Powell receives the required 33 nominations to be on the final ballot paper. Just by being on the ballot paper Powell will ensure the race and gender equality become key elements within the leadership debate.

Even if those MP’s who nominate Enoch went on to publicly vote and support another candidate the political point that race and gender matter would have been made.

Furthermore, it will demonstrate that a diverse group of White MP’s can come together, as a group, whenever necessary and speak with one voice. White leadership will have taken a quantum leap forward.

Enoch's chance has been given a boost by the possible withdrawal of John McDonnell MP, whose votes could transfer to Enoch giving him a fighting chance.

Lets do something we often find difficult: show solidarity

Yeah, if all the rest of the candidates for all of history had been black or Asian, and there was no other man amongst the candidates, your comparison might have some value.

HOLA445
Guest sillybear2

Or more accurately, not even a little bit racist. Unless you are a hysterical shrieking Daily Mail reader.

They're basically asking for all BME Labour MP's to show "solidarity" and vote for somebody simply due to the colour of her skin, regardless if they agree with her on policy grounds.

If you walked into a job interview and told the panel they should award you the job on the basis that you too have brown hair, just like them, then you'd be laughed out of the room.

HOLA446

They're basically asking for all BME Labour MP's to show "solidarity" and vote for somebody simply due to the colour of her skin, regardless if they agree with her on policy grounds.

If you walked into a job interview and told the panel they should award you the job on the basis that you too have brown hair, just like them, then you'd be laughed out of the room.

Except she's not asking for votes, she's asking for nominations, declaring the opinion that the presence of a black woman on the ballot will mean that women's and ethnic minority issues will have a greater prominence in the debate. An unspoken implication is also that an all white, all male, leadership election sends the wrong message about labour, and is not appropriate for the early decades of the 21st century.

You can disagree with these sentiments if you want, but I don't see how they could be characterised as racist by anybody but a Daily Mail car-alarm.

HOLA447
Guest sillybear2

Except she's not asking for votes, she's asking for nominations, declaring the opinion that the presence of a black woman on the ballot will mean that women's and ethnic minority issues will have a greater prominence in the debate. An unspoken implication is also that an all white, all male, leadership election sends the wrong message about labour, and is not appropriate for the early decades of the 21st century.

You can disagree with these sentiments if you want, but I don't see how they could be characterised as racist by anybody but a Daily Mail car-alarm.

Ok fine, on the basis that everyone should be represented and the ballot should be as broad as possible I could understand OBV if they said "we think Diane is a top lady and as many MP's as possible should back her", but they're not saying that, they're saying all BME Labour MP's should show "solidarity" and nominate her simply because she's also black, as if that's the only reason she should win their support. That OBV posting is no different from something you'd find on a BNP site, just in a different hue.

It would be like one of the Miliband brothers blackmailing all Jewish MP's into voting for them because they share the same roots, regardless if they disagree with them or generally think they're a bit of a to$$er.

People just see the glaring contradictions and hypocrisy of identity politics, I can't see what the Daily Mail has to do with it, if that's the best straw man you can come up with to counter the argument then it's pretty weak.

HOLA448
Guest Mrs Bradley

Ok fine, on the basis that everyone should be represented and the ballot should be as abroad as possible I could understand OBV if they said "we think Diane is a top lady and as many MP's as possible should back her", but they're not saying that, they're saying all BME Labour MP's should show "solidarity" and nominate her simply because she's also black, as if that's the only reason she should win their support. That OBV posting is no different from something you'd find on a BNP site, just in a different hue.

It would be like one of the Miliband brothers blackmailing all Jewish MP's into voting for them because they share the same roots, regardless if they disagree with them or generally think they're a bit of a to$$er.

People just see the glaring contradictions and hypocrisy of identity politics, I can't see what the Daily Mail has to do with it, if that's the best straw man you can come up with to counter the argument then it's pretty weak.

The Daily Mail has ALways got to come into it.rolleyes.gif I find it most disturbing that a number of people on here focus on a newspaper as the source of their problems and label any bod who differs, as a DM reader.

Rather limited analysis, I feel.

HOLA449
Guest sillybear2

The Daily Mail has ALways got to come into it.rolleyes.gif I find it most disturbing that a number of people on here focus on a newspaper as the source of their problems and label any bod who differs, as a DM reader.

Rather limited analysis, I feel.

All discrimination is bad, positive or negative, if you favour a person because of a certain attribute alone then you naturally discriminate against everyone else. This actually devalues Diane Abbott by reducing her to an exchangeable token, people will think she only got backing because she's black and a woman, instead of winning broad support based on who she is as a person, as an orator, what she stands for and whether she's generally capable as a leader, what any of those latter points has to do with skin tone is beyond me.

HOLA4410
Guest Mrs Bradley

All discrimination is bad, positive or negative, if you favour a person because of a certain attribute alone then you naturally discriminate against everyone else. This actually devalues Diane Abbott by reducing her to an exchangeable token, people will think she only got backing because she's black and a woman, instead of winning broad support based on who she is as a person, as an orator, what she stands for and whether she's generally capable as a leader, what any of those latter points has to do with skin tone is beyond me.

It is in the interests of certain factions who wish to sway public opinion, to propose that selection of certain features is desirable, nay, crucial to 'proving' one is NOT prejudiced.

Therefore simpletons would vote for this lass, even tho' they could not stick her, just to show how "cosmopolitan" they are.

Personally I would not vote for her whatever her colour, shape or orientation. I have observed her over time and found her to be a hypocrite and a bigot.

I am truly in despair about how there are those who seek to make choice about cosmetic or superficial qualities. Even more in despair that there are so many willing disciples.

HOLA4411
Guest theboltonfury

If all you've got is 'oh look , a Mail reader' then that's pretty sad.

Of course it racist. Doing something based purely on one's skin colour generally is.

Would it be racist to say 'vote because he's white'?

HOLA4412
With less than 24 hours OBV is appealing to all Black and Asian MP’s to nominate Diane Abbott, for the Labour leadership.
I like the way the left still talk about 'black and Asian' as a single group when many Asians have racist attitudes towards blacks and, to a lesser extent, vice versa.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
Guest X-QUORK

+1

Discrimination is discrimination, it sends out all the wrong signals and if I were a black member of the Labour party I'd be quite insulted to have this emotional blackmail added to the mix.

HOLA4415

This is about as racist as you can get..... :huh:

Black and Asian MPs should not vote for Di-Russ Abbott on the basis that she is a buffoon..

Anyway, they just got rid of a Brown they did not like :P

Leave it Quorky!! Topical quip :D

HOLA4416

Just a thought.

Is it discrimination? They are not voting (or being urged to vote) for DA at the exclusion of another candidate or against another candidate.

From what I can see, they are just asking for her to get enough votes (and there are lots to spare) so that she has adequate nominations go run for leader. Not so that a white candidate is excluded in favour of her. They just want certain issues more firmly on the agenda.

HOLA4417
Guest X-QUORK

Just a thought.

Is it discrimination? They are not voting (or being urged to vote) for DA at the exclusion of another candidate or against another candidate.

From what I can see, they are just asking for her to get enough votes (and there are lots to spare) so that she has adequate nominations go run for leader. Not so that a white candidate is excluded in favour of her. They just want certain issues more firmly on the agenda.

Well, yes it is discrimating against the "certain issues" the other candidates might want to put forward, on the basis that they're being presented by non-blacks.

Calling this anything other than discrimination is semantics.

HOLA4418

Well, yes it is discrimating against the "certain issues" the other candidates might want to put forward, on the basis that they're being presented by non-blacks.

Calling this anything other than discrimination is semantics.

In that case:

- The 'working class' candidate who asked for nominations on the basis he represented their values

- The candidate from the 'left' who asked for nominations on the basis that she represented their values

Are equally as guilty - why no concern with that?

It seems to me that it is perfectly normal in leadership contests for candidates who represent certain views and policies to urge those who are likely to consider those views and policies as important, to nominate for them. From what I understand MP's can vote for multiple candidates. I can't see how voting to include certain issues without voting against others is discrimination - it's actually inclusive.

It just seems that if a working class candidate or 'left' leaning candidate does the same thing - that is okay, but a Black candidate has an entirely different reaction.

HOLA4419
Guest X-QUORK

It just seems that if a working class candidate or 'left' leaning candidate does the same thing - that is okay, but a Black candidate has an entirely different reaction.

But we don't have legislation or the moral imperative to ban discrimination by class, in any case it would be completely unenforcable, can you imagine being stamped with some class classification?

We've made great inroads into removing racial discrimination since the 60s/70s, so it would be a shame if the very people who have benefitted from it bring it back inadvertently, which positive discrimination will surely do.

HOLA4420

But we don't have legislation or the moral imperative to ban discrimination by class, in any case it would be completely unenforcable, can you imagine being stamped with some class classification?

We've made great inroads into removing racial discrimination since the 60s/70s, so it would be a shame if the very people who have benefitted from it bring it back inadvertently, which positive discrimination will surely do.

My point is that it is inclusive not discriminatory. Who are they discriminating against? There are (actually it is academic now as she already has the nominations so I should say there were) two outcomes.

1.) Nominate DA (with one of the multiple nominations you have) and she along with Ed, Ed, David and Andy can run.

2.) Do not nominate her and Ed, Ed, David and Andy can run.

Ed, Ed, David, Andy and DA or Ed, Ed, David and Andy.

One includes her the other doesn't. The urging of Black and Asian MP's to include her through nomination was just that, inclusive, their nomination would in no way exclude or discriminate agains another candidate. Like I said, it seems entirely usual.

Ironic that, in fact, she got sufficient votes because of another candidate and chums nominating and the 'left' vote.

BTW - we all know this is actually about PR at the end of the day - nobody thinks DA will get within a billion light years of leadership - hence why other candidates and supporters have used their multiple nominations to include her.

With regard to semantics, maybe you are right, but equally, you well know that this isn't designed to exclude anybody or any views or any non-Black issues - it is designed to include important issues.

HOLA4421
Guest X-QUORK

Ok Daniel, you've convinced me no harm has been done in this instance, but I still have concerns about the principle of voting for someone on mainly ethnic grounds.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

I still don't get how anybody can view this as discriminatory, never mind racist.

Abbot is asking for nominations (NOT votes) on the basis that there should be a non/white non/male candidate, arguing that this will mean majority (women + non/white people) concerns are addressed more fully in the leadership contest.

You can argue that this is an unwelcome intrusion of identity politics, but it simply isn't racism.

As to those who compare it to the scandal that would occur if the same comments were made by BNP members, I have a simple question for you. When was the last all black BNP leadership election?

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Archived