House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pathfinder

Got A Job!

1 year after searching for work (CAD Technician) I finally got a job! But not as a Technician.

Nope looks like I will be becoming a Support Worker helping people with quote learning difficulties (pc bit) get something out of life. I gave up on the tech jobs after 5 short lists, then position on hold or job removed. Pay is poor, no shocker but ... puts a plug in the savings erosion. And to be honest self worth was dropping off after 1.2 years with no job OO.

Some final details to go yet, hopefully this post wont jinx it lol. Interesting that Construction i.e. creating something is not valued as highly as companionship.

1 year after searching for work (CAD Technician) I finally got a job! But not as a Technician.

Nope looks like I will be becoming a Support Worker helping people with quote learning difficulties (pc bit) get something out of life. I gave up on the tech jobs after 5 short lists, then position on hold or job removed. Pay is poor, no shocker but ... puts a plug in the savings erosion. And to be honest self worth was dropping off after 1.2 years with no job OO.

Some final details to go yet, hopefully this post wont jinx it lol. Interesting that Construction i.e. creating something is not valued as highly as companionship.

Congratulations, good on you.

Well done!

Incidentally did you use your time off wisely?

Congrats! Me being nosy - out of interest, how many jobs did you apply for, and did you outline all your transferable skills?

Funny enough dare I say his name 'Kilroy' Did a proggy at the start of the 90's, had a Teacher on it. Bloke kept saying he couldn't get work. Then someone piped up what jobs were you going for ... , 'Teacher jobs'.

When confronted with trying for any job just to tick over the guy kicked off. Always remember that even if it was faked.

Congrats! Me being nosy - out of interest, how many jobs did you apply for, and did you outline all your transferable skills?

CAD Tech Jobs.

From April 2009 I was offered

- 1 job at CAD job from a previous place I had worked at, different department collapsed before interview.

- Then an actual interview chance around October I think, but it was in London £100 a week commute 3 months work, I hate commuting to London 1.5-2hr commute.

Bagged a real interview at The Wargrave Commission but didn't sit to well with me. Failed anyway was told I was too relaxed in the interview, -%52 less pay than previous Job.

between March to date, i have had 4 or so interviews cancelled, Job filled internally or pulled. One position, CV was filtered from 500 to 5 applicants, then election turned up they withdrew interviews odd really because it was obvious the election was on the way! 2001 to 2007 I walked into jobs (contractor for 70% of my career) sometimes with no interview or test, once I had 3 months off, the biggest gap in 14 years.

The Support Worker job I got via the job centre, there was an open day. I was not even signed on, just walked in (savings to close the edge and with wife working at the time it was pointless).

The worst bit about the whole job hunting bit was filling the damn pre-interview forms in, race, sexual preference, 30 questions about previous illnesses, references, scan of passport. This was for EACH job. I was asked over the weekend by an agent owned by the firm hiring, a CV rewrite, emailed it across on the Monday ... called 3 hrs later ... position already filled they just found out ...riiiiight.

Partner dancing, Cycling, Drinking, and retired friends got me through it. And the Wife of cause, luckily mines a star :).

edit whoops, plus I applied for around 10 other jobs, transferable skills with online agents never got a reply.

Well done!

Incidentally did you use your time off wisely?

Hell yes :D.

Got fitness up to 70-80 mile cycles with Wife and friends.

Balboa dancing skills went through the roof .... in a good way.

After dreaming while in work for 5 years, 'Oh wouldnt it be nice to have a pocket money income'. Make damn sure that is happens while in work rather than racking your brain how to earn some money when the inevitable happens.

Confirmed the min amount I need to live on.

Found some hobbies.

Re-budgeted household spending, it was always keen but now I have a few extra free pints ;).

Happiness is possibly the hardest thing to achieve, and it sure as hell is not bought. And being unemployed enabled me to find happiness again which is kind of weird.

looks like I will be becoming a Support Worker helping people with quote learning difficulties (pc bit) get something out of life.

Well done. It was probably your relaxed attitude that helped get it..... I hope you find it very rewarding.

Chatting with a friend today who is a recruitment consultant. The firm deals with many public sector clients; she tells me that the vast majority of the public sector job ads have been put on hold awaiting info on the new Gov's position and downsizing. Be interesting to see what the fall out is from this.

Sounds like you got a place at just the right time. Hope it goes well for you.