House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pl1

Anyone Tried Hypnotherapy?

For whatever the issue, don't have to say, has anyone ever tried hypnotherapy? It seems like a quick fix in many ways but I can kind of understand how "talking to your subconcious" that you otherwise have no control of but can have a big control over you makes sense.

Who can attest to this method of fixing a problem? (it seems very problem centric/specific)

Yes, tried it a number of times.

If you open the Yellow Pages you probably will find thousands of practioners in your area - simply anyone can become one.

So the difference to whether it works or not comes down to 2 things in my view:

1. How receptive you are to it.

2. Whether the hypnotherapist is any good or not.

I personally think that there are loads of really rubbish ones out there who rely on you relaxing and passing that off as hypnotherapy. Then there are the ones who are more like 'genuine' hypnotists and if you can find one of them then it can possibly help you a great deal.

If you are looking to try this out why not go somewhere like:

http://www.hypnosisdownloads.com/?2563!hds&gclid=CPDgjIDek6ICFcOX2Aodj3ANjg

http://www.uncommon-knowledge.co.uk/

(Same people run both sites)

and download a few of their MP3s - think you can buy 3 for under a tenner - and try them out?

I have used these MP3s and found them to be very good but I used them as part of a holistic approach including meditation, exercise and talking to someone - someone really good.

We all have an 'inner child' and that inner child basically gets kicked around, hurt and worse by others in our lives - our family, our 'friends', teachers in school, people we work with, people we pass in the street or pub, etc - and also by ourselves.

At first the concept of an inner child sounds ludicrous to most but virtually all people who go through the process of discovering their inner child usually come out of the experience as a healthier, happier and more balanced person. Sometimes hypnosis, in some form, is used to help discover the inner child as is meditation.

I had hypnotherapy in 1986 to cure my irrational[!] fear of dentists. It was done by my dentist, who was also a qualified hypnotherapist, and it was successful to this day.

try this out why not go somewhere like:

including meditation, exercise and talking to someone - someone really good.

We all have an 'inner child' and that inner child basically gets kicked around, hurt and worse by others in our lives - our family, our 'friends', teachers in school, people we work with, people we child usually come out of the experience as a healthier, happier and more balanced person. Sometimes hypnosis, in some form, is used to help discover the inner child as is meditation.

Thanks, this is the second time in as many days at looking at this that I've heard of the inner child. I went several years ago just the once, even though it was in a fairly noisy environment (basically this guys front room) but I was really pleased with it. I didn't carry on though and regret it as I thought I was making good progress.

Can it really help with highly specific problems, like losing weight or quitting smoking or curing a phobia, as opposed to generalised problems (like I think you're describing)?

Guest happy?

I had hypnotherapy in 1986 to cure my irrational[!] fear of dentists. It was done by my dentist, who was also a qualified hypnotherapist, and it was successful to this day.

I have an irrational fear of hypnotherapists.

This is interesting, I wonder if it helped being a dentist? What an astonishing coincidence, that you find a dentist who just happens to be a hypnotherapist who understands your fear of dentists and cures you.

I'm not sure it's possible to have an irrational fear of dentists. They can and do cause great damage.

<snip>

Can it really help with highly specific problems, like losing weight or quitting smoking or curing a phobia, as opposed to generalised problems (like I think you're describing)?

Absolutely. Its pretty powerful stuff so make sure you are in good hands. Its also incredibly simple, I taught myself with my girlfriend of the time and went on to use it to stop about 5-6 people smoking.

I havent done anything with it for 10 years or so, having done it a few times it becomes a little bit scary. When you realise the power you are assuming over someone (that they have placed in your hands) and that its so easy it could easily be being done to you without you knowing.

Thanks, this is the second time in as many days at looking at this that I've heard of the inner child. I went several years ago just the once, even though it was in a fairly noisy environment (basically this guys front room) but I was really pleased with it. I didn't carry on though and regret it as I thought I was making good progress.

Maybe your inner child is calling out to you? Perhaps you should listen and take action?

What are you talking about with regard to the specific problems - the inner child or the hypnotherapy?

In short, yes, both of them can and do help with specific problems. If you want to stop smoking, for example, then some people swear by hypnotherapy. Same with various phobias hence why, on that link I pasted, the MP3s are for a 101 different specific phobias.

As for finding, talking with and healing the inner child - yes, going through this process, which is long and can be emotionally painful, often results in discovering a particular occurence or happening in your past which is manifesting itself in your present day life.

Some people discover, or rediscover, things that their minds had deliberately blanked out or forgotten about - locked behind a door in the mind - but which is still there festering and causing hurt in the present.

Someone, and I am generalising here, who smokes a great deal or who is overweight from eating too much may well have an anxiety disorder and that anxiety disorder may be rooted in something that happened 50 years ago - confonrting that hurt, confonrting what happened then, understanding it and learning how to put it in the past can often 'cure' the anxiety of today and hence the smoking or over-eating can stop. That is it in a very simplistic form.

This is interesting, I wonder if it helped being a dentist? What an astonishing coincidence, that you find a dentist who just happens to be a hypnotherapist who understands your fear of dentists and cures you.

I also worked with him in an administrative capacity, so i trusted him. Perhaps this was key.

I'm not sure it's possible to have an irrational fear of dentists. They can and do cause great damage.

Hence the exclamation mark.

I went to one two years ago to give up smoking and I haven't touched a cigarette since. Butt then I keep wondering why my wife asks "Why I keep walking around like a chicken all day

Guest happy?

Maybe your inner child is calling out to you? Perhaps you should listen and take action?

What are you talking about with regard to the specific problems - the inner child or the hypnotherapy?

In short, yes, both of them can and do help with specific problems. If you want to stop smoking, for example, then some people swear by hypnotherapy. Same with various phobias hence why, on that link I pasted, the MP3s are for a 101 different specific phobias.

As for finding, talking with and healing the inner child - yes, going through this process, which is long and can be emotionally painful, often results in discovering a particular occurence or happening in your past which is manifesting itself in your present day life.

Some people discover, or rediscover, things that their minds had deliberately blanked out or forgotten about - locked behind a door in the mind - but which is still there festering and causing hurt in the present.

Someone, and I am generalising here, who smokes a great deal or who is overweight from eating too much may well have an anxiety disorder and that anxiety disorder may be rooted in something that happened 50 years ago - confonrting that hurt, confonrting what happened then, understanding it and learning how to put it in the past can often 'cure' the anxiety of today and hence the smoking or over-eating can stop. That is it in a very simplistic form.

I think your Freudian slip's showing.

I think your Freudian slip's showing.

Oh, you are really having a go for me tonight aren't you? First you post the insult in the other thread and, because I did not respond to you, it obviously has been eating away within you for the last hour or so.

How said is it being you? Is this all your life is - chasing someone around an online forum trying to get them to bite?

Well, I am going to do something really wonderful for you now - I am going to ignore you. I am going to ignore you because I know just how much that will eat away at you in the coming hours, even days and weeks.

Hope the life you have chosen works out for you.

Absolutely. Its pretty powerful stuff so make sure you are in good hands. Its also incredibly simple, I taught myself with my girlfriend of the time and went on to use it to stop about 5-6 people smoking.

I havent done anything with it for 10 years or so, having done it a few times it becomes a little bit scary. When you realise the power you are assuming over someone (that they have placed in your hands) and that its so easy it could easily be being done to you without you knowing.

so could hypnosis be used for anything other than highly specific problems like smoking and overeating - that could be solved by willpower.

For example could it be used to motivate you to work harder at work, or even enjoy work, or be greedier? Or for example could you use for example if your training for a running event - hypnosis to give you the movtivation to train harder. You know change your though patterns to associate boring stuff as fun -

I had it as part of a course of cognitive behavioural therapy several years ago to help me with anxiety. Before I had it I assumed it would be ineffective and I was really sceptical. But actually it helped me a lot and even now I can "tap into" what I learned during those sessions when I feel anxiety creeping up on me. After a session I'd feel... unusual. Not unpleasant at all, just a bit spaced out. I was never in a trance as such, just in a really really deep state of relaxation and it was during the time when I felt really relaxed that my councillor would go through the real issues I was having and ways of visualising how I could break free of those things that were causing me problems. Hard to explain. But for me personally it was very worthwhile. :)

Some interesting points here. I'm going to have a look at those mp3's tmt suggested as a starter for 10.

I spoke on here months ago of how much stress and pressure I was under before eventually closing my business and becoming bankrupt.

Hypnotherapy was one of the methods I used to get me through the bad stuff.

It worked very well and I now practise myself regularly. It is helped by regular meditation and exercise.

I would recommend it to everybody and anybody.

Try tho and get a referral for someone established. The guy I used wasn;t exactly recommended by my own health center but staff there had used him and continued to use him. He is an NLP guy who was not local or cheap but throughly worth the money and effort.

As masked tulip says some of the mp3's are very helpful.

If you open the Yellow Pages you probably will find thousands of practioners in your area - simply anyone can become one.

So the difference to whether it works or not comes down to 2 things in my view:

1. How receptive you are to it.

2. Whether the hypnotherapist is any good or not.

I personally think that there are loads of really rubbish ones out there who rely on you relaxing and passing that off as hypnotherapy. Then there are the ones who are more like 'genuine' hypnotists and if you can find one of them then it can possibly help you a great deal.

If you are looking to try this out why not go somewhere like:

and download a few of their MP3s - think you can buy 3 for under a tenner - and try them out?

I have used these MP3s and found them to be very good but I used them as part of a holistic approach including meditation, exercise and talking to someone - someone really good.

We all have an 'inner child' and that inner child basically gets kicked around, hurt and worse by others in our lives - our family, our 'friends', teachers in school, people we work with, people we pass in the street or pub, etc - and also by ourselves.

At first the concept of an inner child sounds ludicrous to most but virtually all people who go through the process of discovering their inner child usually come out of the experience as a healthier, happier and more balanced person. Sometimes hypnosis, in some form, is used to help discover the inner child as is meditation.

Great post bro

nx

Would hypnotherapy work for depression and anxiety problems? Particularly in relation to poor body-image, low self-esteem?

Would hypnotherapy work for depression and anxiety problems? Particularly in relation to poor body-image, low self-esteem?

Yes, for the anxiety many people try it with varying degrees of success but for the combination of A&D along with low self-esteem some form of counselling such as CBT - cognitive behaviour therapy - would be of use.

Low self-esteem often comes from something that was said or done or happened, or not done, during childhood so getting in touch with the inner child or true self, same thing, would be very helpful... Oh, and importantly, having good, genuine people around you as friends and not sh*ts!

Guest sillybear2

Yes, hypnotherapy always works, hypnotherapy is good, spent all your money on hypnotherapy, the people who perform hypnotherapy are like Jesus himself, hypnotherapy is good, spent all your money on hypnotherapy.

End of transmission.

Noooo, not for depression.

Some NLP might help but hypnosis is a no-no for depression. Contra-indicated. Which is a shame because hypnosis definitely can help with body image, anxiety and self esteem issues.

For depression - here are your port of calls.

1) Your GP

2) Dietician

3) Decent mainstream therapist. For depression insight works better (afaik - my training is now a few years out of date and I no longer practice, this may have changed so check) than moving pictures or playing with the effects the mind throws up, backwards engineering a lasting result for depression is tough to do

4) Start a journal - note where and when your feelings start, who they are related to and so on.

5) Sleeping habits - what's your bed like? Comfortable? How are you sleeping? How did you sleep when you were feeling better about yourself?

6) Exercise. Get yourself a punchbag, if you can. Walks in the open air in decent environments can work wonders.

7) Crosswords and other puzzles have been known to help. Sounds odd I know, but it's to do with how the brain works when depressed.

8) Once you've washed your clothes and bedding, give them thorough rinsing to get the washing powder out.

9) Also note toilet habits - constipation can build up toxins that make you feel ..like shit...hmm bad pun but you get the idea.

If I think of anything else let me know and I might be able to refer you to someone half decent depending on where you are - PM me if you wanna.