House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
The Masked Tulip

France Announces Firesale Of 1,700 State Properties To Cut £1Trillion Debt

France announces firesale of 1,700 state properties to cut £1trillion debt

The French government has announced plans to sell off 1,700 state properties in a bid to cut the country's heavy debts.

The firesale will include castles and mansions and is the first time the Sarkozy government has laid out such ambitious sell-off plans.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1285352/France-sells-1-700-buildings-help-cut-countrys-debts.html#ixzz0qNrLinyO

I think we have a park hut in Bognor that we can flog?

After everything's been sold ... then what?

Cretins.

There is a huge market for human organs and blood, except tissue typing means blood and organsa can't be sold to the people with money i.e. Fast eastern Asia.

Cretins.

No no, it's all for the best.

but insisted less than 20 percent of proceeds will go directly to debt payments.

The rest will go towards new government 'investments'.

You see! It will be invested.

How much is this property allegedly worth?

Are they expecting the buyers to borrow the money? If so won't this squeeze lending in other areas of the economy?

What are they going to invest the 80% in will the state see a return on this investment or will it be blown on "investments" who are friends with the political elite?

Or is the 80% being invested really being invested in Greek debt?

If they use 20% to pay down debt just how much will this really reduce the debt by if they are still deficit spending, this plan would just be insane.

I think we have a park hut in Bognor that we can flog?

Have you ever been to Bognor? I'd rather live in Merthyr Tydfil because at least it has some redeeming features such as the indoor climbing centre. If you go further East from Bognor you arrive at Littlehampton, which is very much like going to hell.....but much worse.

Have you ever been to Bognor? I'd rather live in Merthyr Tydfil because at least it has some redeeming features such as the indoor climbing centre.

Which you would need given the wind and the rain in Merthyr. Whereas Bognor is the sunniest town in the UK. I don't climb, but I do go outside.

Forced sales...anything to avoid the pain till next week.

Cretins.

Strikes me as a very good policy from sarcozy, he doesnt really want to bail out the Greeks, and the guy does if nothing else does seem to have a pair.

I am speculating his plan is to show the Greeks and others that if they sell their assets, ie mabye a few greek islands then they wouldnt need the cash for the bail out???

Without wanting to break up this nice doom&gloom thread, I regretfully have to point out that Sarkozy's government have been doing this since they got into power in 2007... while the current financial crisis has probably moved the timetable forward somewhat :), it's hardly a firesale.

And unlike the other thread talking about Arizona selling off their Court buildings and leasing it back - the French are selling (as I understand it) grace&favour buildings and other assorted "National Trust" type stuff; I don't believe any of it is then leased back by the government.

Perhaps we could sell Scotland, Wales and the north of England? Key selling points for a prospective buyer:

- Sovietized public sector economies sucking your money away

- Welfare payments sucking away more of your money

- Sullen and resentful populations envious of the people who are paying for them

- Will always vote Labour no matter what, meaning you will be stuck with an incompetent government

- Many great leaders such as Fred the Shred and Gordon Brown, and great companies such as RBS and Northern Rock

A bargain if ever there was one! How much do you think we could get? We could sell them to someone like China who would have no qualms about moving the entire population of both countries to a small prison island, and keeping some of the nice countryside for themselves.

A bargain if ever there was one! How much do you think we could get? We could sell them to someone like China who would have no qualms about moving the entire population of both countries to a small prison island, and keeping some of the nice countryside for themselves.

I mean lve heard worse ideas than this....

not exactly with the Chinese Idea, but I wonder how much you would get for say Gibralter..... or some of the outer hebrides even.... could we get enough to avoid the "years of pain ahead????"

Like many ageing boomers, I escaped across the channel to where the 1980's never happened. At least now they have arrived, I've got a few years left before the arrival of chavs, le x facteur and 20 somethings blaming everything thats wrong on me.

Perhaps we could sell Scotland, Wales and the north of England? Key selling points for a prospective buyer:

- Sovietized public sector economies sucking your money away

- Welfare payments sucking away more of your money

- Sullen and resentful populations envious of the people who are paying for them

- Will always vote Labour no matter what, meaning you will be stuck with an incompetent government

- Many great leaders such as Fred the Shred and Gordon Brown, and great companies such as RBS and Northern Rock

But think of the potential tax write offs!

Like many ageing boomers, I escaped across the channel to where the 1980's never happened. At least now they have arrived, I've got a few years left before the arrival of chavs, le x facteur and 20 somethings blaming everything thats wrong on me.

À la Recherche de la Nouvelle Star has already been on for seven series in France.

How much is this property allegedly worth?

Are they expecting the buyers to borrow the money? If so won't this squeeze lending in other areas of the economy?

What are they going to invest the 80% in will the state see a return on this investment or will it be blown on "investments" who are friends with the political elite?

Or is the 80% being invested really being invested in Greek debt?

If they use 20% to pay down debt just how much will this really reduce the debt by if they are still deficit spending, this plan would just be insane.

It's very simple..

- Bankers run up vast private debts (whilst paying themselves huge sums).

- Private debts destroy banks.

- Government forced to rescue banks by making private debt public.

- Bankers get to buy castles at knock-down prices, because of all that public debt.

À la Recherche de la Nouvelle Star has already been on for seven series in France.

Aaaaaaaaargh. But I can still (for now) walk down the main street of my nearest town without stepping in puddles of puke from the previous nights entertainment. It will be interesting to see how France develops after Sarkozy given the way the UK has gone post Thatcher. I wonder if they will spot the disbenefits of 'trickle down' or, given the French mentality, pastis and the 2 hour lunch will win the day over ever decreasing circles and the illusion that we can all be millionaires.

It's very simple..

- Bankers get to buy castles at knock-down prices, because of all that public debt.

Yes, Thomas Jefferson forsaw this neferious scheme about 200 years ago:-

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around [the banks] will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs. "

It's very simple..

Perhaps the French have a cunning way of getting back their assets from the bankers once the cash has changed hands - I'm sure they have a few working guillotines somewhere - and they do have previous for this sort of thing :D:D