House Price Crash Forum

Staff At Companies House In Cardiff Braced For Job Cuts

HOLA441
HOLA442

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/10278282.stm

It employs 1,100 people so, whilst each job loss will be important for the person concerned, is 11% cut in jobs in PS organisations going to be enough?

E-filing has destroyed much of the leg work needed anyway much like @ the tax office. My old company was incredibly against efiling. Until one day one member of staff was ill and managed to lock jobs in his desk. We got the key on the day of the deadline and they demanded I get on my bike and hand them in in person. I told them no why don't you efile it, faced with a choice of principles and a 2K of penalties they efiled them. They then started using this as standard. I got no thanks at all and was still made redundant. I should have just let them suck the penalties.

Kind of similar to tax returns, before they needed 2 people to sort them, under labour this mushroomed to 7 people, they can quite easily get rid of 5 excess people.

BTW the companies house firings if not via efiling can be explained by the way so many businesses are going bust, with so many companies dying there are less returns to be filed thus less staff needed, death spiral.

Edited by ken_ichikawa

HOLA443
HOLA444

Not quite sure what you're referring to ?. 7 people to sort a tax return ?.

In 1997 HMRC required 2 people to process a tax return, a tax inspector and a cheif who would sample review the tax returns. I.e. it would pass through the hands of two people and two people only unless it was flagged up with an investigation then it was sent to another department.

By 2006 the figure had grown to 7 people.

The two tax inspectors were still at the top of the chain, but you had admin staff at the bottom who would open envelopes, stamp the fronts of the tax returns with a date stamp (its a 3 second job the tax inspectors used to do).

And to distribute them and to double check the tax inspectors work and to print off the submitted online returns.

It was just a mass increase of beaurocracy as the two tax inspectors could have done all the work themselves, I mean seriously they employed people to open envelopes and stack the tax returns in neat little piles.

HOLA445

Just had handed to me my annual tax credits review, that arrived today.

its a letter ( 4 pages folded) and a booklet, A4 13 pages, in large envelope.

I think the last time I claimed any credits was 2001.

we get this every year.

its always 0.

HOLA446

Its no wonder people jump on the public-sector bashing wagons, when critical posts are made, with virtually no element of truth in them. No offence intended to the authors who no doubt meant well but didn't have the actual knowledge to rely upon when making their posts.

Self-assessment tax return processing is not done in the manner ken-ichikawa has suggested at all. The work involved from the day the returns are received & logged to being fully processed, is all done by the two lowest grades in HMRC, both of which earn under £20k a year & Inspectors are not involved at all in this work. The thought of highly paid Inspectors (25k-£30k pa) opening envelopes & date-stamping returns is pure fantasy I'm afraid.

ps - As tax credits didn't start until the 2004-05 tax year, Bloo loo was doing well to be claiming them in 2001 !! lol

HOLA447

Its no wonder people jump on the public-sector bashing wagons, when critical posts are made, with virtually no element of truth in them. No offence intended to the authors who no doubt meant well but didn't have the actual knowledge to rely upon when making their posts.

Self-assessment tax return processing is not done in the manner ken-ichikawa has suggested at all. The work involved from the day the returns are received & logged to being fully processed, is all done by the two lowest grades in HMRC, both of which earn under £20k a year & Inspectors are not involved at all in this work. The thought of highly paid Inspectors (25k-£30k pa) opening envelopes & date-stamping returns is pure fantasy I'm afraid.

ps - As tax credits didn't start until the 2004-05 tax year, Bloo loo was doing well to be claiming them in 2001 !! lol

£25-30k PA = highly paid?????????? What is the average UK wage again?

HOLA448

Taking staff out of companies house now is a bad bad move on economic grounds. Data quality is pretty shonky in more government run registries already, including the UK, and the less accurate it is the more tax evasion and financial crime you get..........which further undermines the tax base and damages legitimate businesses. Internationally, if countries are serous about tackling tax evasion and tax havens, they have to get accurate company records within their own jurisdictions first....

HOLA449
HOLA4410

jaynewcastle

I think tax credits started in 1997?

They were different then. Done every year based on six months wages on what you earnt so none of that blox of having to pay it back. BUT people did abuse it by only doing oevertime for the right 6 months of the year.

HOLA4411

£25-30k PA = highly paid?????????? What is the average UK wage again?

Referring to the Civil Service, where about 75% of employees earn under £20k pa, & over 90% earn under £25 1/2k pa.

Anyway, most of the reduced employee numbers in the Civil Service are due to people retiring/leaving & simply not being replaced. By getting the public/employers to file online themselves, has meant a huge reduction in the number of staff previously employed & required to do this work. HMRC has seen around a 30% reduction in staff numbers in the last 4/5 years !!

HOLA4412

jaynewcastle

I think tax credits started in 1997?

my credits didnt come in 2004/5....they were in a rough patch where some London Solicitors tried to screw my firm down.....it was in 2000/1.

to qualify onehad to have kids under 18 for the best benefits, and I answered many questions about them...they were too old in 2004.

So, I beleive the 2004/5 claim for tax credits start is incorrect.

HOLA4413

Referring to the Civil Service, where about 75% of employees earn under £20k pa, & over 90% earn under £25 1/2k pa.

Anyway, most of the reduced employee numbers in the Civil Service are due to people retiring/leaving & simply not being replaced. By getting the public/employers to file online themselves, has meant a huge reduction in the number of staff previously employed & required to do this work. HMRC has seen around a 30% reduction in staff numbers in the last 4/5 years !!

leaving the other 70% to be on internet forums during `works time`..

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

They now think a pay freeze will mean that there will be no staff cuts.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/10282199.stm

However, following meetings with staff on Thursday morning, Companies House said it was "confident" that savings can be made without any job losses.

Savings they have identified include cutbacks in travel - including first class rail travel - and marketing costs, such as roadshows to inform members of the public about the services they do.

Earlier, unions had feared "salami style" job cuts across the board and warned more could be made later this year.

Edited by The Masked Tulip

HOLA4416
HOLA4417