• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

There's more stuff appearing for sale in my area, Surrey/London borders.

The problem is that it's all @ 2007 prices or more, and not much is selling, other than the odd properly priced house.

An example is this: http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-16046046.html

Ceiling price for these boxes is £205k, yet they price it £110k over that. Kin idiots.

Edited by pie-eater

HOLA448

If you have propertybee have a look at Edgbaston (the posh bit of Birmingham)

At the top end there is a mix of stuff that has been on for years with people refusing to drop price significantly and a big influx of new property in the last couple of months.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/find.html?locationIdentifier=REGION^9221&insId=1&includeSSTC=true&_includeSSTC=on

One guy even upping the price from 1 million to 1.5 million...

HOLA449

There's more stuff appearing for sale in my area, Surrey/London borders.

The problem is that it's all @ 2007 prices or more, and not much is selling, other than the odd properly priced house.

Same for me in SW12.

There are maybe 5 or 6 places for sale on my street [a pretty big number in a smallish street], all of them newly on the market this spring. One or possibly two of them are BTLs with, no doubt, an eye on CGT changes.

The cheapest is listed at pretty much the peak selling price for the street. Others are listed at anything from about 5-20% above peak selling prices.

I really don't know what will happen. My guess is that one or at most two will sell for roughly the peak price give or take 5%. Others surely cannot sell without some serious shattered dreams.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
Guest The Relaxation Suite

On my usual rightmove search, I'd say it's up about 20%, but it could be that price decreases are bringing more 'into range.'

Considering the time of year though, I'd expect this to be about tne norm.

Of the towns I monitor (SE) I would say they are up about 50% actually, over the last 6 months or so. I have been watching carefully as well. I really think we could see a cascade soon. If I were trying to sell a house I would slash the price now, undercut the competition and get out of the market before it collapses. And I have done this before previous crashes so it's not just hot air.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

They're cascading onto the market here (SE Wales)

This last couple of weeks has seen loads more on the market, and some decent price cuts too :)

About time - nothing, but nothing, has sold here for a couple of years.

Same here - many of the houses I monitor have been on the market with zero price reduction for 18 months or longer. One in fact has just been put on after a six month absence with 10k added to the price. Total, total denial.

HOLA4419

what we're seeing is vendors trying it on at silly prices now that it doesn't cost them a HIP...

How many are forced sellers? How many will simply withdraw from sale if they don't get near asking?

I think we mustn't get too excited by the 'flood' of properties for sale until we see evidence of COMPLETED SALES at lower prices.

Rightmove (asking prices) will probably show a rise this month...

HOLA4420

In the Stockport area, south of Manchester, there are now 300+ properties with an asking price below 100k on Rightmove. In the peak years of the boom there were about 30 sub 100k properties at most.

Edited by enrieb

HOLA4421

I have been a righmove junky for 3 years. In the last 2 months, listings for my postcode (SW Wiltshire) have gone from a very steady 10-12 pages for the last few years to 18 pages today, and it's the higher end stuff (£500K+ around here) that's flooding onto the market here.

HOLA4422

what we're seeing is vendors trying it on at silly prices now that it doesn't cost them a HIP...

How many are forced sellers? How many will simply withdraw from sale if they don't get near asking?

I think we mustn't get too excited by the 'flood' of properties for sale until we see evidence of COMPLETED SALES at lower prices.

Rightmove (asking prices) will probably show a rise this month...

Time to postulate my unpopular theory :ph34r::

Every chancer and time waster throws their house onto the market now that it's free again. Most are ignored by impoverished would-be mortgagees. A few, a very few, sell above the odds because the lady of the house falls in love with the kitchen, or the man of the house with the double garage, so they make a purchase. And what does this look like in the metrics?

Short term increase in average sale price.

I told you it wouldn't be a popular theory. [Puts on asbestos trousers] You may now object.

But in the end fundamentals will override the turbulence. So keep calm and carry on.

HOLA4423

I have been a righmove junky for 3 years. In the last 2 months, listings for my postcode (SW Wiltshire) have gone from a very steady 10-12 pages for the last few years to 18 pages today, and it's the higher end stuff (£500K+ around here) that's flooding onto the market here.

We could be looking at the start of a majoe slide in prices here, but for that to happen we will need an increasing supply of properties coming on to the market and a solid stand-off by buyers. They must not go in too soon, though. This would be disaster. If they hold out they could be looking at picking up real bargains as the redundancies and forced sales kick in. He that can have patience, can have what he will, as Franklin said.

HOLA4424

Here's an anecdote: Parents place went on the market, in my honest opinion it was £60k (13-14%) over priced, eventually sold stc 3weeks later 3% off initial asking price.

Not what you want to hear...

HOLA4425

Here's an anecdote: Parents place went on the market, in my honest opinion it was £60k (13-14%) over priced, eventually sold stc 3weeks later 3% off initial asking price.

Not what you want to hear...

There are morons still buying, all right, I do not doubt that. I know someone who is currently SSTC on a one bedroom converted stable at over £150,000. It's all on one floor and the whole property is not much bigger than my lounge. But we must look at general trends, and in that case I think property prices are toast.

Edited by Tecumseh