House Price Crash Forum

Debt At £20K For Every Man Woman And Child

HOLA441

just rambling here, so don't go thinking I'm a nut-job...

Lets say for arguments sake it works out at £22k each.

Facts

• The debt has to be repaid,
  • We have to repay the debt
  • The sooner the debt is repaid the better

Could people be incentivised to pay their £22k now, rather than over a period of many years through higher tax rates?

Ok, so this will never happen but could it feasably work? What incentives could be given for 'taking one for the team'?

How many people could pay their "national debt contribution" up front?

Would you if the incentive was right?

Public sector fat cats could be targetted thus "pay your £22k now and you can keep your job, (albeit at -25% your current salary :lol: )"

I'd pay it for a plot of land and no planning restrictions.

HOLA442

Facts

Could people be incentivised to pay their £22k now, rather than over a period of many years through higher tax rates?

Ok, so this will never happen but could it feasably work? What incentives could be given for 'taking one for the team'?

Public sector fat cats could be targetted thus "pay your £22k now and you can keep your job, (albeit at -25% your current salary :lol: )"

Hmmmm. I think you might actually be on to something there.

Needs to bit of tweaking. Maybe everyone has to repay, say, half their annual income. So if you're on 12K per year, you repay 6K over 3 years. Some public sector gravy train parasite earning 120K per year, will repay 60K. Same for city bankers.

HOLA443

Facts

All the countrys "wealth" is locked up in housing.

HOLA444
HOLA445

<snip>

My analogy of what you're proposing.

After a hard day at work, you're walking down the high street clutching the £100 you've earned when a bunch of p1ssed up tw@'s stumble out of a restaurant doorway that they'd been dining in all day, then ask you if you wouldn't mind paying their bill for them???

Ain't gonna happen.

HOLA446

Facts

Won't work, you can't pay off debt in a debt based monetary system, only transfer it from one component of that system to another. Attempts to pay down the total debt will simply collapse the system.

HOLA447

Too late your avatar says otherwise.

Facts

These are not facts - they are opinions.

Ok now we get to the point. Could you advance pay rather than over time? Yes its a possibility I'm sure, but the admin costs would be unbearable. Firstly a per capita debt burden is untenable - the apportionment must surely be more equitable based on the culpability for the situation? A 3 month old baby cannot surely be expected to pay the same as a 50 year old millionaire? So endless arguments about who owes what. Even assuming you impose a very unfair per capita amount many poorer people will not be able to pay nor indeed will they pay the future taxes. Non payers will spoil the calculations and the debt will remain.

If you were 90 and on you death bed why front the money?

Its an idea though. One way to achieve it would be to destroy about 40% of the wealth people have in their residential property. Now doesn't that sound better to you :D:D:D