House Price Crash Forum

Immigrants To Face English Language Test

HOLA441

Learn the language first

Immigrants coming to Britain to marry or join their partner will soon be asked to take an English language test first, the Government announced today.

All non-European migrants will have to demonstrate basic communication skills that enable them to deal with everyday life before receiving a visa.

The measure, due to come into force this autumn, will apply to spouses and unmarried couples who are already in Britain as well as overseas applicants.

Anyone wishing to come to Britain must first demonstrate they can speak English at the same level required for skilled workers admitted under the points-based system.

The introduction of an English language test was one of four key elements of the Conservatives' election manifesto.

Prime Minister David Cameron said he wanted to promote the integration of newcomers into British society. But his deputy Nick Clegg questioned similar policies under Labour and highlighted how Britons may struggle abroad if other nations implemented tests.

Home Secretary Theresa May said: "I believe being able to speak English should be a pre-requisite for anyone who wants to settle here.

"The new English requirement for spouses will help promote integration, remove cultural barriers and protect public services.

"It is a privilege to come to the UK and that is why I am committed to raising the bar for migrants and ensuring that those who benefit from being in Britain contribute to our society.

"This is only the first step. We are currently reviewing English language requirements across the visa system with a view to tightening the rules further in the future.

"Today's announcement is one of a wide range of measures the new Government is taking to ensure that immigration is properly controlled for the benefit of the UK, alongside a limit on work visas and an effective system for regulating the students who come here."

The prospect of English language tests for migrants heading for Britain was raised several times by the previous administration.

In 2002, the then home secretary David Blunkett announced proposals for tests on language and the ways of British life. Citizenship tests were introduced but English tests for foreign spouses failed to win backing and were quietly shelved.

The new plans mean a spouse coming from outside Europe must provide evidence they have passed an English language test by an approved provider.

Visa applicants in these circumstances must already meet a range of criteria before being allowed to enter the UK under current rules.

All applicants must show their marriage or partnership is genuine and that they can support themselves financially.

Whether people are married in the UK or overseas, the non-UK partner must apply for a two-year settlement visa to come and live in the UK as a spouse.

At the end of the two years they can apply to the UK Border Agency for indefinite leave to remain.

Last year some 38,000 visas for spouses were granted and a further 21,000 people were granted indefinite leave to remain.

The move is likely to have a particular impact on Britain's Indian, Pakistani and Bangladeshi communities, who make up a large proportion of these figures.

Isabella Sankey, of Liberty, labelled the news "disgraceful" and said some people may be unfairly penalised.

She said: "While a good command of English is clearly beneficial for someone settling in the UK with their partner or spouse, making this a prerequisite to entering the country is disgraceful.

"What happens to the happily married British citizen with a non English-speaking spouse who returns from abroad to care for elderly parents?

"Surely a common-sense approach would acknowledge how much easier it is to learn English once in the UK."

What is the forums take on this?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

"How so?"

Well I think it's a bit unfair to insist that someone coming to this country to marry one of our countrymen (or the female equivalent) should be able to speak English without requiring the same of said countryman.

And what about all those nice people on the "Scheme" in Glasgow? To say nothing of people from places like Halifax and Liverpool.

What happens if the blushing bride speaks like they do?

And as for the Thai bride scene .... calamity.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

What if these people can't speak English, but can speak Welsh fluently? There are a lot of Welsh-speakers in Patagonia (honest).
Indeed, but they'd still need to be able to speak English to get to Wales.

HOLA4420
Guest X-QUORK

What if these people can't speak English, but can speak Welsh fluently? There are a lot of Welsh-speakers in Patagonia (honest).

Purely hypothetical, nobody wants to live in Wales voluntarily.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Learn the language first

What is the forums take on this?

I am f**king outraged! :angry:

My wife is Brazilian and doesn't speak English though she understands a lot, she speaks Portuguese, Spanish, French and Italian which is more than most pig-ignorant Brits speak, we speak French together. Naturally she would learn English should we be stupid or unlucky enough to have to return to the UK, but I find it f**king outrageous that she may have difficulty getting a visa in those circumstances. She'd want to learn the English in England, not at some useless overpriced course in Geneva.

HOLA4423
Guest X-QUORK

My wife is Brazilian and doesn't speak English though she understands a lot, she speaks Portuguese, Spanish, French and Italian which is more than most pig-ignorant Brits speak, we speak French together. Naturally she would learn English should we be stupid or unlucky enough to have to return to the UK, but I find it f**king outrageous that she may have difficulty getting a visa in those circumstances. She'd want to learn the English in England, not at some useless overpriced course in Geneva.

Surely it only applies to people with dark skin?

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

I would imagine it would take her about two weeks with a CD course to get to the level they will require. I imagine part of the agenda is to force would-be immigrants to learn the language at their own expense, rather than rely on the current situation where public bodies are so terrified of being accused of discrimination that they fall over themselves to translate everything into 20 different languages. If there are going to be cuts, this is one I support.

Archived