House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
GordonBrownSpentMyFuture

Radio 2 Discussion: Garden Grabbing

Radio 2 Discussion: Garden Grabbing

Jeremy Vine from 12pm today

Garden Grabbing

The government is going to crackdown on people building homes in their gardens which is known as "garden-grabbing".

Web: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/radio2

Radio: 88-91 FM

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/shows/jeremy-vine/

Call: 0500 288291

Text: 88291

- - - - -

HPC Discussion: Garden Grabbing To End? | Tories hit the building trade where it hurts

An amazing amount of this has gone on, it seems most people don't want gardens. I do.

It gets up my nose big time. Modest houses which happen to "benefit" from a proper sized garden, i.e. big enough for some kids to sling a badminton net and grow a few veg, are sold on the basis of demolition and the building of two 5-bed McMansions round here. That forces the price of both land and property much higher. Instead of one house sold at a modest (?) 5x average income, two now get sold for maybe 10x income.

The reason two houses get built is that it avoids the need for "affordable" housing on the part of the developer, if he were to build three more modest units.

There's one in my village now. Victorian house 3 bed/2 reception rooms, detached in excellent order, big garden maybe half an acre. Being sold with planning permission for two dwellings.

It gets up my nose big time. Modest houses which happen to "benefit" from a proper sized garden, i.e. big enough for some kids to sling a badminton net and grow a few veg, are sold on the basis of demolition and the building of two 5-bed McMansions round here. That forces the price of both land and property much higher. Instead of one house sold at a modest (?) 5x average income, two now get sold for maybe 10x income.

The reason two houses get built is that it avoids the need for "affordable" housing on the part of the developer, if he were to build three more modest units.

There's one in my village now. Victorian house 3 bed/2 reception rooms, detached in excellent order, big garden maybe half an acre. Being sold with planning permission for two dwellings.

Happening loads around my way too. I've seen so many big old Victorian houses with a decent bit of ground knocked down and replaced with up to 5 McMansions with no gardens.

Also plenty are being replaced with retirement apartments. I've never seen so many in one area!

More worryingly the local Cricket ground was sold last year for development (supposedly 1000 houses going on here) and the local Rugby club has recently sold it's ground and is moving away from the town center. Yet at the same time local services are being reduced (maternity and A&E have now been stopped in the local hospital).

Genius.