House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

the coming storm

The Free Market

1) Right wingers run around shouting about saying the "Free Market" provides a fair system where the most hard working and efficient are rewarded. How do you apply that to the Banks that got bailed out? In fact how do you apply that many businesses areas which are they effectively run by cartels of businesses - the amounts a capital for any small business to generate to startup is just too large - it is just out of their reach and our crushed by the companies already in it. i can think of some examples where free markets have worked well like supermarkets, budget airlines and telephone/broadband companies. How do you apply free market to housing market that is propped up with quantative easing - hardly a free market. If there was a true free market - house prices would plummet.

2) I assume most of you lot are employed - how the do you apply your free market principles in corporate environments where many us work which are rife with office politics, nepotism, middle management incompetance, systems and procedures out of date and not working, lack of leadership, backstabbers and lots of hangers on bascially doing the minimum - but just enough to keep their job- and even lack of opportunities and promotion if you don't get on with right people - Hardly a free market at work? Its not just the simple answer of going and getting another job or just keeping your head down and doing a good job - its a niave answer and not based in the real world. Anyone with a half decent career knows you can't just job hop every six months if you don't like it -

Plus getting a good job is hard work and they can few and far between in your field. Employees have to go to their next interview and say everything was perfect at their last job - your not supposed to be negative. Depends on the job you do of course, you might be so skilled that employers will throw money at you and beg you to work for them - but you can't really apply that significant percentage of people. Another niave answer to get some new skills - those new skills require real world experience you don't have - are not likely to get - so learning new skills like let say going on a course - any employer will just sorry no chance unless you have some real world experience. Another point pay rates are pretty much based on the sector you in, and might be seen as employer as cheeky if you keep demanding rate rises.

It feels like there is a free market for employers and you can be removed at any time with minimum commitment from your employer- but can anyone honestly say in corporate world they feel like they can choose they job they want - or does anyone in the corporate world have any sources income beyond their 9 5, if there was free market for employees we could build up an income from freelance working - Try telling your boss you have a second job!

1) Right wingers run around shouting about saying the "Free Market" provides a fair system where the most hard working and efficient are rewarded....

SNIP

...It feels like there is a free market for employers and you can be removed at any time with minimum commitment from your employer- but can anyone honestly say in corporate world they feel like they can choose they job they want - or does anyone in the corporate world have any sources income beyond their 9 5, if there was free market for employees we could build up an income from freelance working - Try telling your boss you have a second job!

Is someone stopping you starting your own business?

It's a rigged, gamed market. Either toughen up, psyche up and learn the rules or stay true to yourself and find some other path - plenty have.

Good post - a bit too stream-of-consciousness perhaps, but I understand where you are coming from.

I don't think truly free markets happen often (and maybe not at all) because people in a position to meddle with them generally can't seem to help themselves.

The housing bubble, for example, was more likely to be as a result of central banks keeping interest rates low (i.e. meddling), where a free market would probably have responded to the increased demand for credit by increasing the cost of borrowing, thereby tempering demand.

Free markets are a bit like natural selection: both 'mindlessly' wander around a space of possibilities. Neither are 'perfect'. Both can wander into dead-ends. In free markets, for example, monopolies tend to mark the end of the line, or at least a little cul-de-sac in the space of possibilities.

In a way, the mindlessness of free markets is a strength, though -- rather than serving some vested interest (the whims of those most tempted to meddle), they just go where they go.

The so-called Law of Unintended Consequences seems to be a hallmark of pretty much all meddling, and, in contrast, with a minimal amount of nudging once in a while to avoid the dead-ends, I would probably trust the free market to find a relatively efficient path more than an economist or a bureaucrat who wants to micro-manage where the market goes.

I would guess that most advocates of free markets are of the view that, if you want to build a town, let the river flow where it flows, then build it on the river, rather than build the town, then try to work out how to get the river to flow through it.

Liked this bit. :)

2) I assume most of you lot are employed - how the do you apply your free market principles in corporate environments where many us work which are rife with office politics, nepotism, middle management incompetance, systems and procedures out of date and not working, lack of leadership, backstabbers and lots of hangers on bascially doing the minimum - but just enough to keep their job- and even lack of opportunities and promotion if you don't get on with right people - Hardly a free market at work? Its not just the simple answer of going and getting another job or just keeping your head down and doing a good job - its a niave answer and not based in the real world. Anyone with a half decent career knows you can't just job hop every six months if you don't like it -

Forget what you learned at school....doing well is about playing the game....looking back could write a book. ;)

Rant over? I used to be more annoyed with the world, how it didn't work and the struggle. But everyone country in the world is competing with each other, and every person in every country is competing with each other. You can opt out and fail, or learn to play the game. The game isn't going to change and moaning about it wont help, and what is the alternative, communism (that still has politics and bigger problems).

Yes the bigger the organisation more politics there is, the smaller the organisation the less politics but the more risk, and your job is always on a knife edge. Make your choice, if you don't like a big org, start your own company and compete with chindia directly

Guest X-QUORK

With a pure free market, or pure capitalism, we would logically end up one MegaCorp. Capitalism wants monopolies and doesn't work without regulation.

Is someone stopping you starting your own business?

Thats true - but I suppose were almost taught that corporate world is the only way to success and that to want to start a business is just niave - now thats an idea try starting a business, and if it fails then live with it - seems more and more i'd like to try and fail. Rather than live in the corporate world.

But the question is what, and how? The statement "start a business" does not mean anything - you need something more concrete.

The OP is quite right in that you really can't choose a job, however educated or skilled you make yourself. My post-Uni career stalled in my mid twenties - I just never landed the better jobs for which I applied, ones I would have been truly enthusiastic about, even though I've no doubt I could have done them in my sleep. There was doubtless always that someone a little bit better, or simply preferred at interview. After a while you're just stuck. You're not a fresh grad anymore. The experience you've gained isn't glamorous enough to impress. So I never really wanted to do any of the jobs I've done at all, the day basically a waste until 5pm.

A modestly paid job and a couple of sidelines to boost my income is the best I could do.

In the Soviet Union at least I'd have probably been given a pretty prestigious job based on my level of education. In the cut-throat world of modern advanced capitalism, you're just a cow on some Stalinist Co-op, milked for ever more productivity, labeled a 'human resource'.

1) Right wingers run around shouting about saying the "Free Market" provides a fair system where the most hard working and efficient are rewarded. ....

Its a lie. Don't fall for it.

House prices only ever go up as well don't you know. That's why you need a mortgage and pay back twice what you borrowed ;)