House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
tonytramcar

Choice Cuts

All this talk about cuts, but so far I don't think I've seen anything specific.

The government has asked for suggestions, here's mine :

"All government or local government functions, departments, or jobs containing the word "diversity" in the title."

What are your suggestions ?

"All government or local government functions, departments, and jobs containing the word "diversity" in the title."

Get rid of all tax credits for everyone.

Means test things like the winter fuel allowance

Reduce all public sector salaries above 20k by 30%

Reduce housing benefit by 30%

Cease all public sector final salary pensions from now and replace them with funded schemes as per the private sector

That should do for starters, and i havent even sacked anyone yet

Cease all public sector final salary pensions from now and replace them with funded schemes as per the private sector

get rid of tax credits for all but the poorest

cut back on housing benefit so that no one gets more than someone earning the minimum wage could afford

cease public sector final salaries, and change retirement age.

reduce public sector salaries and cut back number of jobs

axe almost all the quangos

only let those who have worked in this country (whether born here or otherwise) for more than 3 years claim JSA

only let very disabled people claim incapacity benefit, those who really could never work

make sure initiatives like surestart can only be accessed by the poorest, charge the middle classes for use of the services

means test statutory maternity pay against pay for the prior year

means test all other benefits

All this talk about cuts, but so far I don't think I've seen anything specific.

"All government or local government functions, departments, or jobs containing the word "diversity" in the title."

What are your suggestions ?

For starters:

Or equality or outreach. In fact, go through the Guardian's Social & Public Jobs page (Wednesdays, is it?) and nuke any job title where it's not obvious to a layman what this person would DO all day

Remove the ability of anyone single & unemployed and receiving Housing benefit to get the one-bed flat rate as soon as they turn 25. Make it 30 at least. If you had already been occupying a flat you get 6 months grace before dropping to the lower rate.

Remove the requirement that councils house people in the area where they happen to live now. If you're on benefits for two years you move to an area of cheap housing unless you can produce a very good reason why not (e.g. very disabled child, grandparents living locally help out so child doesn't have to be taken into care)

Means test winter fuel allowance & child benefit

No child benefit for third or subsequent children ( unless you get hit with accidental [not IVF] twins

Increase road tax massively on RangeRovers and the like - genuine farmers can get a rebate.

Legalise, organise & tax pretty well all drugs thereby removing massive numbers from the criminal system

Tighten up the rules on no-win no-fee lawyers4you to try to stem the compensation culture

Cut paperwork in Gov't depts to free up front-line staff (Did anyone see last night's "Dispatches"??)

Edited by cartimandua51

Yesterday The Independent ran an article on how filthy dirty Britain's streets have become.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/nations-streets-are-dangerously-dirty-1993284.html

Is it too much to ask that those that have been claiming certain benefits on a long term basis (such as unemployment benefit) are asked to contribute x hours a week helping to smarten up Britain in return? In other words can't the state offer ostensibly employ the unemployed as maintenance men and gardeners?

Remember this?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3158298.stm

So how about this?

And this?

And this?

Edited by Dave Spart

Get rid of tax credits ..

Get rid of the winter fuel allowance ..

Get rid of housing benefit .. Change the system so that if you are a family and made homeless you can rent a suitable house for £100 a week for six months. If you are unable to find accommodation at market rates in six months then you have to reapply. If you reapply you have to move. The law would be amended so that the local authority does not have to house you within the Borough.

Get rid of council Tax .. A flat percentage of the "value" (nominal value like the old rates) paid by the owner.

Quite possibly that would be enough ..

Prince 2 - major Govt projects would, at a stroke, lose thousands of well-paid jobsworths and the projects would then come in on time and on budget.

Prince 2 is simply designed to make work for idle jobsworths and to make everything take longer than is required.

Do not 'ring-fence' any area of the budget, i.e. get rid of the ridiculous multi-level bureaucracy that blights the NHS and many of their "no purpose" jobs. I think this would actually improve front-line services.

Means test all retirement benefits.

Labours unfairness isnt at its worst between rich and poor (though that gulf has grown in the last 13 years) its between generations, between young and poor,

Why are multi-millionaire pensioners entitled to handouts to pay for heating their mansions (even if they live in the south of spain) and given around £6k state pension, regardless of whether they need it.

The poverty level is about £16k. For every £4 of income above that level i'd take away £1 of state pension. So a pensioner with an income of around £40k would recieve no basic state pension.

Given pensions cost £70+ billion id guess that would save a double digit billions figure.

Id apply the same rationale to give a 25% pay cut to most non front line (ie back office) public sector staff earning above £16k.

Id also want to eventally put the personal allowance up to £16k.

Do not 'ring-fence' any area of the budget, i.e. get rid of the ridiculous multi-level bureaucracy that blights the NHS and many of their "no purpose" jobs. I think this would actually improve front-line services.

+1

Removal of government imposed targets and box ticking requirements followed by firing everyone who is left twiddling their thumbs.

Stop using agency staff/outsourcing schemes to the 'private' sector.

Labours unfairness isnt at its worst between rich and poor (though that gulf has grown in the last 13 years) its between generations, between young and poor,

Why are multi-millionaire pensioners entitled to handouts to pay for heating their mansions (even if they live in the south of spain) and given around £6k state pension, regardless of whether they need it.

The poverty level is about £16k. For every £4 of income above that level i'd take away £1 of state pension. So a pensioner with an income of around £40k would recieve no basic state pension.

Given pensions cost £70+ billion id guess that would save a double digit billions figure.

Id apply the same rationale to give a 25% pay cut to most non front line (ie back office) public sector staff earning above £16k.

In order to have a private sector pension income of 40k you would have worked extremely hard. These are the very people who deserve the state pension. Brown already stole from their pensions by way of dividend taxation. How many more times do you want to screw the same people? The state is obliged to pay these people. Keep messing with the pensions and everyone will emigrate. Why shouldn't people in Spain get a heating allowance? Are you going to reduce the heating allowance for people in Devon because it's warmer than up North?

I'm all for reducing public pensions contributions which in turn would reduce council taxes.

All repo'd houses to be taken on as government council housing.

banks to be encouraged to repo.

There's a big elephant of taxpayer owned mortgage debt otherwise.

Probably better to rent the houses as government stock than sell them for less than the loan. Right to buy exists only when rent paid has repaid the debt on that property...

NI, W and S will leave and fund themselves/

W has 40% jobs from the public sector which is insane.

I'd cut wages in councils over 20k by a sliding scale so the more you earn the bigger the cut.

Cut expenses in councils down to same level as the rest of us can get. (ie: 40p a mile)

If you deal on frontline with real people on a daily basis you job probably safe else maybe not.

NHS cut out layers of management. Who was it said they worked in a building somewhere doing something that was nothing?

Right to pick what hospital gone. Ditto school.

You go to nearest one to you.

Private schools employing state school teachers (robbing the good ones) have to pay the state school a £££

All teachers tied to teach in state schools for 20 years of their teaching life minimum. Ditto nurses in state hospitals.

University. Only the top 5% go.

benefits. 2 kids max benefits paid only. LHA lowered to that of council properties.

Private schools employing state school teachers (robbing the good ones) have to pay the state school a £££

All teachers tied to teach in state schools for 20 years of their teaching life minimum. Ditto nurses in state hospitals.

Private schools already pay the state in the form of rates, NI, employer's NI and other taxes. Are you going to make a restaurant pay the state when a school dinner lady changes job? Nurses will just work in the USA where the pay is better, then the UK just loses tax. Why does the private sector have to pay for everything anyway? What about cutting the NHS management by three quarters?

Perhaps it would be more effective to encourage discipline back into comprehensive school so the teachers might want to stay? Perhaps they could dispense with the unnecessary IT spending? Why is it not possible for a child to perform simple arithmetic without a laptop?

Why don't they just stop whining about how difficult it's going to be to shave off £6bn and just roll back each department's budget to 2008 levels, saving £50bn, then take the rest of the year off, saving us all an earful in the process?

I think that the reason for certain benefits being "universal" (not means-tested) is or was to make everyone feel that their NI contributions benefitted them and not just "other people".

Once people feel that they are purely paying for "losers" while they have to provide entirely for themselves, the consensus about the need to pay for universal services goes out of the window.

A rant.

At last!

I really don't care where they cut. I get 3/10th's of sod all from the state and always got 3/10th's of sod all. My parents got 3/10ths of sod all and my grandfather was before the welfare state and was a orphen living rough until he was old enough to join the army at 14 so he got sod all too. My family ususally die at home after short illnesses so we don't even really use the NHS and don't really call on the quacks before that. I got no money from the state to go to study and took part time jobs to suppliment the £1,000 pa I got from Dad in the mid 80s to buy food and accomodation.I have to pay for a private dentist as state ones don't seem to exist any more. I've had four thefts in my life and four forms sent to me by the police (I didn't even warrent a visit), I've never claimed benefits of any sort and never will. I've actually gone hungry through having no money but that just sharpened me up and encouraged me to work harder. Our roads couldn't get any worse, I generally end up taking our rubbish to the local recycling centre and we sort of live in the country so there are no street lamps.

You can cut any and all of it.

Okay moderating that, I've benefited from education (although I went to a lousy school) including polytechnic so I'll stick with educating kids through to degree if they want it and ,caring for the disabled. Its probably a bit tight to cut state pensions given those who cannot work through age need something.

Don't like it. What makes me so special - well nothing, and thats the point. I've had no special favour's, no silver spoon. I try and think ahead like my father and grandfather before me and take pride in working for everything I have.

We can make massive cuts - and you know what - it will have no effect on me at all. What I do for work is absolutely not reliant directly or indirectly on public money. And no I'm not a banker of any sort.

Cut and make people work. From personal experience no food for a few days tends to focus the mind.

Put the qualifying age for free bus passes up from 60 to 70.

Cut Royal civil list payments drastically

Postpone the Trident replacement until we can decide if we really need it.

Cut the pay of bank employees working for the rescued banks, like RBS.

Ah perfect thread for my idea - Unless we get the unemployed to do it lets stop repairing 30 mph roads. As it is we speed shed loads making them dead flat then install speed bumps to slow people down :blink:

Not strictly a cut perhaps but for starters, sell off the BBC. No more licence fee would cheer everyone up a bit.

Edited by Minos