House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gruffydd

Northern Ireland On The Precipice?

http://www.nuzhound.com/articles/Sunday_Times/arts2010/jun6_paramilitaries_new_energy__LClarke.php

Looks like the old Belfast battlegrounds are hotting up. Some of the most deprived places in Europe, no doubt hid hard by the banksters - was reading recently about some estates in Belfast suffering over 40% unemployment.

More important things to worry about than the house price crash - though I doubt house prices will be helped on by this one little bit!

I offten wondered over the years if the "Troubles" had more to do with no jobs then politcal.....................i spent the last 10 years making architectural bits for a number of firms in NI. Everyone i spoke to was worried sick what would happen when the cash ran out!

I think we are about to find out..........BTW 18moths ago i discussed this very subject with Jonny O'dare (Mad dog killer UDF) whom i found stood next to me in the "Q" at Tesco in Formby one nite.

Mike

http://www.nuzhound.com/articles/Sunday_Times/arts2010/jun6_paramilitaries_new_energy__LClarke.php

Looks like the old Belfast battlegrounds are hotting up. Some of the most deprived places in Europe, no doubt hid hard by the banksters - was reading recently about some estates in Belfast suffering over 40% unemployment.

More important things to worry about than the house price crash - though I doubt house prices will be helped on by this one little bit!

The other 60% are employed directly or indirectly by the government,

The other 60% are employed directly or indirectly by the government,

... I expect we will be proportionally hit by the coming public sector spending cuts.

Sadly, I suspect that the 'peace process' was only possible because of an economic boom north and south of the boarder.

This too is something I fear. A reduction in living standards and cash flow is likely to encourge bored young men to join up with the paramilitaries and earn a living that way, as well as commanding "power" in their community.

I hope this doesn't come to pass, as everyone I know wants their children to grow up in normality.

BTW 18moths ago i discussed this very subject with Jonny O'dare (Mad dog killer UDF) whom i found stood next to me in the "Q" at Tesco in Formby one nite.

Mike

Was he buying any Parma Ham by chance ?

... I expect we will be proportionally hit by the coming public sector spending cuts.

Sadly, I suspect that the 'peace process' was only possible because of an economic boom north and south of the boarder.

It was, to be fair, greatly helped by "9/11", and consequent loss of appetite for funding the IRA in the world's biggest sponsor of terror. Wonder if BP-anger might have an effect on that?

But yes, lots of English and EU money was clearly important.

Guest X-QUORK

This may sound bad but I am quite happy for a bit of 'trouble' - makes NI an easier place to afford for normal people!

No doubt the families of the 3000 or so who lost their lives would agree that it sounds bad. :rolleyes:

No doubt the families of the 3000 or so who lost their lives would agree that it sounds bad. :rolleyes:

The most interesting factor that many commentators overlook is the rapid change in Demographics in NI. According to most recent data the Catholic population is now well over 40%. It was less than 30% when NI was first established. Although religious grouping is never an exact indicator of voting or ideolgical preference, most Catholics still vote nationalist, hence Sinn Fein recording the highest amount of votes than any other party in recent elections and the nationalist vote in total well above 40%. Because of this, I suspect many RC's are happy to sit tight and wait for the inevitable day when they finally pull ahead in the sectarian headcount. Many Rc's availed of free university education in the sixties, probably disproportionately more so than Protestants who tended to dominate the old skilled manufacturing jobs which as in every other major Western country are now long gone due to decades of political stupidity. Many Protestants who did avail of university education have emigrated. There is now a power vacuum in Protestant working class areas with no decent leaders coming forward. Those who posed as leaders of the Protestant working class have long being exposed as opportunists;- witness the recent shenanigans of the "Swish" family Robinson and the bizarre spectacle of Ian Paisley being feted in the Dublin parliament. One should therefore start to listen to Nationalist opinion as they head towards a majority; will they remain in the UK or opt for unification with the South. But of more pressing concern is the real risk of implosion in Protestant working areas as the economy continues to decline. Already, inter loyalist turf wars are leading to bloodshed.