House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
ralphmalph

Nurses Talking On R5 About Cuts

Live on R% now.

Common themes seem to be get ricd of loads of managers and admins, technology in hospitals is advancing far too quickly and they can not keep up. Divert cash saved to proper life saving drugs and hiospital beds.

Live on R% now.

Common themes seem to be get ricd of loads of managers and admins, technology in hospitals is advancing far too quickly and they can not keep up. Divert cash saved to proper life saving drugs and hiospital beds.

That's far too sensible and obvious...this is why these people arent managers :lol:

Live on R% now.

what technology cant they keep up with??

technology that cant be used by workers is useless technology in a working environment.

what technology cant they keep up with??

technology that cant be used by workers is useless technology in a working environment.

The nurse just said medical technology and gave no examples.

The nurse just said medical technology and gave no examples.

Im sure thats the case...its what people who feel they need ammo to make a case resort to...they try to put a fear in the observers mind...

Ooh, we need more pay because this machine has got lights on it...I dont know what they mean.

The Daily Hate and the excess both use these for news.....for example, council spends £50k on electric recliners for firestations, but ban their use until the user has been trained....thats one I remember from a couple of years ago, particularly as the recliners were the self same ones I had been using at a clients which are sold to disabled and elderly members of the public...no training required....press button UP or button DOWN.

Hospital Boss on now. He has just said that Landsley has told the NHS 1/3rd of managers have to go.

The ball is rolling.

top news, one third gone and salary cuts for the rest....a good start.

house prices are doomed.oh except, each and every one laid off will get a multi year payout...another scandal in the making.

Edited by Bloo Loo

Why is it that it's taken as a given that - Hospital administrators are an unproductive overhead and nurses are all hard working and wonderful?

Is there any proof of this? Every organisation needs administration staff to schedule work and control costs. I'm not saying Nurses are not hard working and wonderful but show me the evidence - apart from anecdotal - "they looked after my Dad when he went in for his hernia operation last week".

Where's the evidence that there's too many administrators and too few nurses?

top news, one third gone and salary cuts for the rest....a good start.

house prices are doomed.oh except, each and every one laid off will get a multi year payout...another scandal in the making.

maidstone should hold up though

My mum, before she retired, worked for a PCT in Somerset on a PT basis. She was still included in the 'performance appraisal', and due to the management structure, her appraisal was carried out by a vascular nurse - is that a good use of a, presumably, very well-trained and important nurse?

Also, the PCT moved offices and gained all-new desks, chairs etc in the new building - even though the previous offices that they vacated had had new office furniture the year before...

Even without management cuts, equipment changes should not just happen - you only get a new chair when the old one is broken, not because you feel like a new chair. Imagine how much even, say, 100 new desks and chairs came to? Viking show a basic desk with one 2-drawer pedestal is £139.99, so that's £13,999+ on desks alone, Operator chairs without arms start at £34.99, so £3,499+. Grand total of a minimum of £17,500 on new desks and chairs - and probably more when you add in chairs with arms for some, two pedestal desks, privacy screens, etc

Because up until around 1990, most of the admin was done by the nurses and the medical staff?

Maybe they did it badly or mostly to their benefit - perhaps that why professional administrators were brought in.

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable

Why is it that it's taken as a given that - Hospital administrators are an unproductive overhead and nurses are all hard working and wonderful?

Is there any proof of this? Every organisation needs administration staff to schedule work and control costs. I'm not saying Nurses are not hard working and wonderful but show me the evidence - apart from anecdotal - "they looked after my Dad when he went in for his hernia operation last week".

Looks like we'll find out.

Walk into any ward at any major hospital and ask the staff

Walk into any ward at any major hospital and ask the staff

I'm sure if you went into any business and asked the front line staff they'd say much the same

Because up until around 1990, most of the admin was done by the nurses and the medical staff?

In fact there were low paid records clerks who sat on the wards who did 90% of the work.

The hospital I worked in for a year in the 1970s only had two non medical managers. The rest were basically clerical staff and there were not that many of them.

Nurses were controlled by the matrons. The doctors ran the medical side.

I'm sure if you went into any business and asked the front line staff they'd say much the same

For a lot of businesses - at least large ones with >1000 employees - they would probably be right..

For a lot of businesses - at least large ones with >1000 employees - they would probably be right..

Don't exclude small businesses. The mantra that small businesses = good is flawed. The good ones disguise the many morons who've somehow created a small business they are not competent to run effectively.

That's far too sensible and obvious...this is why these people arent managers :lol:

having worked for the NHS myself i'm guessing you have too. No one with any sense would want to be an NHS manager. Now i hear the hospitals will be fined for anyone who leaves hospital and is readmitted within a month. Great. Now there will be fear of discharging people and clearing beds. Just cut the management, no more bloody targets and audits and stats for a while at least and let people get on with their jobs to the best of their ability.

In fact there were low paid records clerks who sat on the wards who did 90% of the work.

The hospital I worked in for a year in the 1970s only had two non medical managers. The rest were basically clerical staff and there were not that many of them.

Nurses were controlled by the matrons. The doctors ran the medical side.

Last time I was in hospital it was the clerical staff at fault.

Specifically the records were wrong. They proved incapable of correcting my records since I had to tell them the same changes every repeat visit. They 'lost' my file the day I went in, so had to delay my op - sending the surgeons away, then recalling them from other duties hours later when the files were found.

Huge waste of time and resources. But would fewer administrators (or clerical staff) make this better or worse?

IMO the important thing is effective administration, Good administration seems necessary for the efficient running of the large hospitals we have nowadays. Too simplistic a cull of administration seems likely to cause serious problems.

My dad was in hospital a few years back. I used to visit him in the evenings and weekend.

The thing that struck me was the place was deserted! I couldn't understand. All the time i was reading about the

NHS not having enough equipment, theatres, hospitals, wards etc etc and here they were empty, not being used.

Even the beds, sending some patients home for the weekend.

I run a business at the time and I couldn't believe how poorly the resources they had were being uitilised.

Why not have clinics and theatres operating through the night?

Don't exclude small businesses. The mantra that small businesses = good is flawed. The good ones disguise the many morons who've somehow created a small business they are not competent to run effectively.

I was thinking more about manager proliferation - i.e. the tendency of big organizations to generate layers of management; and the fact that these layers invariably manage to find more work to do, and more work for 'lower layers' to do. And the more protected the revenue stream the greater the tendency; it does not matter if the organization is public, private or charitable.

Small businesses are always a gamble to work for, but in different ways..

My mum, before she retired, worked for a PCT in Somerset on a PT basis. She was still included in the 'performance appraisal', and due to the management structure, her appraisal was carried out by a vascular nurse - is that a good use of a, presumably, very well-trained and important nurse?

Also, the PCT moved offices and gained all-new desks, chairs etc in the new building - even though the previous offices that they vacated had had new office furniture the year before...

Even without management cuts, equipment changes should not just happen - you only get a new chair when the old one is broken, not because you feel like a new chair. Imagine how much even, say, 100 new desks and chairs came to? Viking show a basic desk with one 2-drawer pedestal is £139.99, so that's £13,999+ on desks alone, Operator chairs without arms start at £34.99, so £3,499+. Grand total of a minimum of £17,500 on new desks and chairs - and probably more when you add in chairs with arms for some, two pedestal desks, privacy screens, etc

no, viking its £139.99, but for the NHS purchasing, thats a £950.00 Executive workstation.

same kit, poor buyers, fleecing salesmen.