House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Noodle

Heat And Humidity And Dust

Guest Noodle

I've had to buy a Dell XFR e6400, the MIL STD 810F/IP65 laptop because of the environments I live and work in. These consumer grade PC's last less than a year, sometimes only 6 months with me.

Now.

I have a desktop that has died twice now and it's only 9 months old.

This is due to heat, humidity and dust.

Is there a PC enclosure available that filters the intake air and cools the air, also with UPS/surge protection?

So like a filtered fridge for you PC.

I've found some huge industrial ones by Rittal. More the sort of dabs.com stuff I'm looking for.

I've had to buy a Dell XFR e6400, the MIL STD 810F/IP65 laptop because of the environments I live and work in. These consumer grade PC's last less than a year, sometimes only 6 months with me.

Now.

I have a desktop that has died twice now and it's only 9 months old.

This is due to heat, humidity and dust.

Is there a PC enclosure available that filters the intake air and cools the air, also with UPS/surge protection?

So like a filtered fridge for you PC.

I've found some huge industrial ones by Rittal. More the sort of dabs.com stuff I'm looking for.

http://en.wikipedia....Air_conditioner

keeps your entire office cool, keep the doors and windows shut to keep the dust out. Most western firms in far flung places have air conditioning to keep there equipment working and there staff cool. A couple of hundred quid to buy, and you say electricty is really cheap?

How about a 'puter that runs cool and fanless? Often marketed as "silent". If you can find something with ARM processor (instead of Intel or equivalent) and solid-state storage (as used in phones, e-readers, etc) you should be in with a much better chance.

Guest Noodle

How about a 'puter that runs cool and fanless? Often marketed as "silent". If you can find something with ARM processor (instead of Intel or equivalent) and solid-state storage (as used in phones, e-readers, etc) you should be in with a much better chance.

Hence I purchased (at great fvcking cost) the XFR E6400.

Right.

Design this.

IP65

Air-coditioned

HEPA filtered

Insulated

UPS/surge protection included

Power switch for PC on the outside

Big enough to take a tower workstation.

There's a big market.

Hence I purchased (at great fvcking cost) the XFR E6400.

Right.

Design this.

IP65

Air-coditioned

HEPA filtered

Insulated

UPS/surge protection included

Power switch for PC on the outside

Big enough to take a tower workstation.

There's a big market.

Desiging a Unit to cool and filter air for a single pc is going to cost you more than buying a normal air con, there isn't a market for such a device. As before it is cheaper just to cool a single room with you in it, and your printer, telephone, laptops and any other technology are all protected at the same time with one unit. If you are set on sitting in the warmth you could aircon a small cupboard/server room and have extra long cables so you can sit in 45c humidity whilst most of your pc is cool and dry at 18c in a cupboard. But your monitor, keyboard and mouse will be subject to the heat still. Safest option is to sit in a nice cool airconed room..

Guest X-QUORK

great for the CPU, but it wont keep the PSU, HDD, memory and motherboard and all other peripherals cool and dust free...

Have a look on Youtube, I watched an entire PC being built and operated underwater. It was pretty amazing stuff.

Have a look on Youtube, I watched an entire PC being built and operated underwater. It was pretty amazing stuff.

Ahar, good thinking batman, its a pretty hard core solution for a problem that is already solved the world over...

Guest Noodle

Desiging a Unit to cool and filter air for a single pc is going to cost you more than buying an air con for the room, there isn't a market for such a device.  As before it is cheaper just to cool a single room with you in it, and your printer, telephone, laptops and any other technology are all protected at the same time with one unit.

It's a small fridge with a fan!

There is a market here where temperatures get past 45C. Also across these whole region, including the likes of India.

These people also have more money than you.

The cost of air conditioners here is 600 quid up. Then all the insulation work. Then running it.

I'm talking about an air con unit smaller than a beer fridge cooler. A filtered fan and a plastic box lined with polystyrene.

It's a small fridge with a fan!

There is a market here where temperatures get past 45C. Also across these whole region, including the likes of India.

These people also have more money than you.

The cost of air conditioners here is 600 quid up. Then all the insulation work. Then running it.

I'm talking about an air con unit smaller than a beer fridge cooler. A filtered fan and a plastic box lined with polystyrene.

Buy a cheap freezer/fridge with foam insulation, drill holes in the side for the cables fill the gaps with expanding foam, Its a totally sealed unit but that isnt going to be a problem. You would have to have a thermomiter handy and play around with the fridge/freezer settings

Hmm 600 quid is quite pricey but cheaper than replacing your pc all the time, insulation and installion costs cant be that bad, and you said elec/your bills are cheap...

I imagine the big problem would be condensation on the circuits.

Try the oil tank. http://www.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&q=oil+cooled+pc&rlz=&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=zCMOTPTUOeOP4gaT4ZmvDA&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=5&ved=0CDsQsAQwBA

Keep a reservoir in the fridge and cycle it through with a couple of lowspeed pumps. Additional benefit from not getting the components all clogged up with dust. Swap out the oil when it starts to smell...

Buy a cheap fridge/freezer with foam insulation, drill holes in the side for the cables fill the gaps with expanding foam.

Hmm 600 quid is quite pricey but cheaper than replacing your pc all the time, insulation and installion costs cant be that bad, and you say elec is cheap...

Actually that's not a bad idea. Completely closed system too so would keep the dust out :)

All for about £100

Edit to add.. do fridge freezers have vacuum cavities for insulation? might make it tricky to feed the cables

Guest Noodle

Buy a cheap fridge/freezer with foam insulation, drill holes in the side for the cables fill the gaps with expanding foam...

Has to be the only option.

Everyone here that lives in a normal house has the same problem. Dust, heat, moisture.

Must be a simple box to sort this out.

Guest Noodle

Actually that's not a bad idea. Completely closed system too so would keep the dust out :)

All for about £100

Right exactly.

Guest X-QUORK

Noodle, if you can make an effective prototype you might be able to flog 'em to the locals and make a few quid.

Noodle, if you can make an effective prototype you might be able to flog 'em to the locals and make a few quid.

Running a Freezer/Fridge in this way will overwork it and will cost more than running a normal fridge/freezer. I still think an air con solution is the best longer term solution to the problem. But I understand noodles concerns especially as it would be a big percentage cost in relation to the cost of building the house in the first place! However it think would be the most reliable and cheapest solution in the long run. In the uk you can buy very small air-conditioning units and you only need to insulate aircon the smallest room or even a wooden cupboard if you wanted to cut costs

Guest Noodle

No. I just want some little Chinamen to make the things so I can buy one online, put the PC in it and switch it on.

Guest Noodle

Running a Freezer/Fridge in this way will overwork it and will cost more than running a normal fridge/freezer.  I still think an air con solution is the best longer term solution to the problem.  But I understand noodles concerns especially as it would be a big percentage cost in relation to the cost of building the house in the first place!  However it think would be the most reliable and cheapest solution in the long run. In the uk you can buy very small air-conditioning units and you only need to insulate aircon the smallest room or even a wooden cupboard if you wanted to cut costs

This is not aeronautical engineering. Mystic Meg. Or even rectal surgery.

It's a box, slightly chilled, drawing air through an old hoover bag.