House Price Crash Forum

Where Does The Government Spend Our Money?

HOLA441

Yeah, let the Irish have Scotland and Wales B)

Scotland will have a referendum soon, on independence.

And if Salmond get the timing right, and calls it in 2 or 3 years, during the most painful phase of the economic correction, "brought to Scotland by that evil English Tory Toff London Government", he may even win it! :)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

+ 1

After all, it is not like they are children. They are old enough to take care of themselves. Why do they need English tax-payers help?!

So they were children and in need of (ahem) guidance when England was busy forging (by force of arms and Westminster Acts) these nations into a United Kingdom?

Fair-weather nation-building = moral hazard on an epic scale.

HOLA445

So they were children and in need of (ahem) guidance when England was busy forging (by force of arms and Westminster Acts) these nations into a United Kingdom?

Sorry? I really didn't understand your post.

And, I did say they are not children.

Fair-weather nation-building = moral hazard on an epic scale.

What do you mean?

Edited by Tired of Waiting

HOLA446

Sorry? I really didn't understand your post.

And, I did say they are not children.

What do you mean?

What's being proposed is that the United Kingdom should be a partnership that exists only as long as it suits the stronger partner (who imposed the arrangement by force in the first place, in order to gain resources, manpower, whatever).

That reeks of moral hazard.

This would probably be recognised by means of "transitional" arrangements that would be made to fund moves by Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland toward independence.

HOLA447
HOLA448

Tax credits are just a way of returning money that has already been taken; instead lower the tax rate, to simplify revenue management. They were a purely political exercise. Also same could apply with pensions. Disabled living allowance isn’t means tested in anyway maybe it should be. Why don’t we reduce our contributions to the EU then they could scrap the rebate, again reducing costs.

On the BBC today they had a story regarding the Border Agency splashing out £4M in Afghanistan.

Linky

This story highlights the complexity of trying to reduce the deficit. £4m is a lot on one hand but if Afgans see these countrymen returned they’d maybe think twice about choosing the UK as their destination of choice. Morally we don’t know how many never arrive in the UK and what the hell happens to them on the way. I don’t like the thought of all those kids taking that risk.

Alex Salmond likes to imply that Scotland is a net contributor to Westminster’s funds, maybe after devolution he’ll be a net contributor to the EU, I think not. He probably he still thinks that the EU will have deep pockets. Someone on here must know Scotland’s balance of state funding stands.

HOLA449

a bit harsh.

they might try something like:

• earnings up to £20k - no cut

• earnings £20k-£30k - 2% cut

• earnings £30k-£40k - 4% cut

• etc

• earnings £50k-£100k - 5% cut

• earnings over £100k [mostly GPs I guess] - 10% cut

Another thing to bear in mind is the true effect on take home salary...

A 5% cut on 60k salary would mean a take home reduction of 1200 (lost amount of 3000 would have been taxed at 40%).

A 4% cut on 30k salary would mean a take home reduction of 936 (lost amount of 1200 would have been taxed at 22%).

I would suggest something with gives level percentages losses on take home for all salaries, so it would step up at the tax brackets. That would be a minimum. It would be fair to put a additional cuts on top of that which are exponentislly proportional to salary, to get some real savings from the 100k+ earners.

HOLA4410

So, out of a budget of £620bn, your first cut would be that £1.3bn of aid to Sub-Saharan Africa?

Maybe not the very first cut, but certainly a justifiable early cut. It's like someone who's heavily in debt getting another credit card to fund their neighbour's hedonistic lifestyle.

We give money to China too. Madness, isn't it? We give them cash, and in return they give us mephedrone.

HOLA4411

Maybe not the very first cut, but certainly a justifiable early cut. It's like someone who's heavily in debt getting another credit card to fund their neighbour's hedonistic lifestyle.

OK, if you were heavily in debt, would you give£10 to stop diarrhoea killing your neighbour's child?

This scenario is closer to the truth than yours.

Of course international aid is not perfect, and there are leaks, but it still saves thousands of lives everyday there.

We give money to China too. Madness, isn't it? We give them cash, and in return they give us mephedrone.

We don't give money to China's government general budget, nor to mephedrone companies. We give to specific charitable causes.

But I agree that as china now has a GDP per head of around YS$6,000 per year, it may no longer be a priority. Afghanistan may be a better project, particularly now, as it can help "pacify" the locals. It appears that this is indeed the new government intentions.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
  • 2 weeks later...
HOLA4414