House Price Crash Forum

No Food Shall Be Grown That We Don't Own

Dubai

HOLA441

When the food and water supply is "owned" by a company, we really are in the doodoo

GM lobby helped draw up crucial report on Britain's food supplies

Email trail shows how biotech group helped watchdog to draw up analysis of GM crops ... and prompted two advisers to quit

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2010/jun/06/gm-crops-biotech-lobbyists-fsa

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

R4 reports this morning of a GM potato trial near Norwich.

Yes I heard that and the anti-GM lady they had on made some excellent points. Her main one was that we DON'T NEED this new GM potato as the blight resistance properties they are trumpeting are already possessed by many traditionally bred potatoes, for example Sarpo Mira and Sarpo Axona, both of which I grow on my allotment.

HOLA446

R4 reports this morning of a GM potato trial near Norwich.

Once they start, they're difficult to stop. Here in Canada it's (apparently) illegal to label products as "GM Free". I was told that there is so much cross fertilisation that it's impossible to be sure that a product doesn't contain GM product. I personally think that's bolleaux and it's more a way of keeping GM out of the headlines. As such, we buy British food whenever we can..... at least we know (for now) that it's GM free....

HOLA447
HOLA448

Yes I heard that and the anti-GM lady they had on made some excellent points.

I am afraid the anti-GM lady was so out of her depth it was embarrassing to listen to the interview. She made mistake after mistake and if she was there to serve the anti-GM lobby she was ineffective. I even think the interviewer was feeling quite frustrated as he gave her chance after chance but she did not do well.

HOLA449

I am afraid the anti-GM lady was so out of her depth it was embarrassing to listen to the interview. She made mistake after mistake and if she was there to serve the anti-GM lobby she was ineffective. I even think the interviewer was feeling quite frustrated as he gave her chance after chance but she did not do well.

I didn't hear all of her pitch as I was just entering an underground car park and the signal was breaking up somewhat but I did get the gist of what she was saying. Her main point was that they had produced a pointless thing since existing non-GM potatoes perform just as well, if not better and they are cheaper.

HOLA4410

GM is great.

Until you realise that it's illegal for you to save any seeds / seed potatoes,etc from this years crop, because the supplier legally owns them. And that the GM companies prosecute anyone suspected of doing this because they didn't buy enough from them in the following year.

So the very people who should benefit from more consistent yields end up paying more to grow their crops. And once you go GM, it's pretty much impossible to convince the company you bought the seed from that you are going back to non-GM seeds.

But, it's ok, we don't need small farmers in the UK anyway.

HOLA4411

I get the feeling we'll be getting GM, whether we want them or not...

EU to overhaul GM crop approval system - sources

* EU exec tables plan to unblock GM approvals in Europe

* Countries to be free to choose whether to grow or ban GM

* Proposals likely to spark sharp growth in EU plantings

* New rules expected in place by mid-July, but face hurdles

Environment secretary Caroline Spelman backs GM crops

The wider growing and selling of genetically modified crops has received its strongest government backing to date from the new environment secretary, Caroline Spelman.

At present no GM crops are commercially grown in the UK, and the previous Labour government was nervous of promoting GM foods because of fear of a renewed public backlash against "Frankenstein foods". But in her first interview in charge of the department of environment food and rural affairs, the minister committed the new coalition to becoming the most pro-GM government yet, saying she was in favour of GM foods "in the right circumstances".

"GM can bring benefits in food to the marketplace. The sale should not be promoted by the taxpayer. [New Environment minister] Lord Henley has approved a trial of a potato blight-resistant variety. That's the kind of modification that can reduce the amount of agro-chemicals which need to be applied," said Spelman, who spent 15 years in the agriculture industry and worked as director of a biotechnology lobbying firm.

HOLA4412
Guest X-QUORK

GM is the right-wingers' wet dream. Removing choice from the people and placing power in the hands of MegaCorps.

Job done.

HOLA4413

GM is the right-wingers' wet dream. Removing choice from the people and placing power in the hands of MegaCorps.

Job done.

Hardly. Monsanto is Evil.

I'm not a fan of IP in general. Plenty of libertarians are not. Lawyers = State = Evil.

HOLA4414

Job done.

And since when is having 'megaCorps' anything to do with right wing? Far right is a libertarianism, that believes in individual power and rights, with small governement, in effect just an administration. Very similar to the idea of the original founding fathers of the USA. In other words the opposite of communism, which is far left.

So far left = communism (big state all powerful), far right = libertarianism (small state, power in the hand of the individuals).

I think what you mean is fascism, which is a merger of state and corporations into a highly authoritarian control system. Fascists are not necessarily right wing, but could be. Fascism isnt on the left right axis, but a different up down axis of how authoritarian a system is. The opposite of fascim being anachism, which comes from the Greek meaning 'no ruler' and means that there is all the authority in the hands of individuals.

I think you perhaps need to do some reading. Fascist are not 'far right', and it is not the opposite of communism. Libertarianism is.

HOLA4415
Guest anorthosite

Once they start, they're difficult to stop. Here in Canada it's (apparently) illegal to label products as "GM Free". I was told that there is so much cross fertilisation that it's impossible to be sure that a product doesn't contain GM product.

I suspect that won't be a problem with potatoes.

Archived