House Price Crash Forum
Analysis

Sellers Outweight Buyers By 67% Since January 2010

Measured by the number of properties available for sale on Rightmove. This has persistently risen since January 2010 and is now moving at an very fast pace (see chart). When the line goes up, sellers outnumber buyers and vice-versa. The steeper the line, the bigger the imbalance. I reported 7% in February, 30% in March, 50% in May and now 67% in June.

Other evidence:

57 properties on in the last 3 days, 30% of these were price reductions, no price increases.

Halifax HPI fell 2 months in a row (Nationwide not?).

Asking prices for newly listed properties are now noticeably lower (anecdotal watching of the local market).

Just need the press to catch on now, and we're off...

HP chart_0610.jpg

post-23968-1275942115334_thumb.jpg

here we go.........eyes of all the non techies glaze over

ha doubt it. I stuggle with creating charts in excel. It's this new fangled 2007 version. 2003 I could make excel do anything, now I feel like my Nan trying to use it!

Edit: removed incestuous typo.

Edited by Pent Up FTBer

confirms my data for Essex from march to present.

What charting software do you use?

I manually type the data into Excel, then use a scatter plot and convert to JPG for posting...a bit old fashioned.

Does anyone know how I can get a chart to appear in the main body of the text instead of as a download?

I manually type the data into Excel, then use a scatter plot and convert to JPG for posting...a bit old fashioned.

Does anyone know how I can get a chart to appear in the main body of the text instead of as a download?

that's what I do but I can't seem to plot the date along the x axis. How do you do that? I'm sure excel 2003 wasn't this complicated.

To post into the main body upload your jpg to imageshack it then gives you several HTML codes for various uses. Just copy and paste the one for forums. Then preview post to check it's the right one. Like this:

chelmsfordnew.jpg

As you can see I'm just using numbers on the x axis. Each number is a week. Week 12 being last week to Saturday.

Another vintage 24 hours on Rightmove here in Brighton and Hove with in excess of 100 properties added (or reduced) yet again.

Spotted this today :

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-10272795.html

date event

08 June 2010 09:41:48

* Detailed Description found: Tenure: Leasehold, 17 years remaining Occupying a convenient and central trading position in Montpelier Road, just south of the Western Road shopping thoroughfare with its array of shops, restaurants ...

08 June 2010 09:38:40

* Price changed: from '£275,000' to '£175,000'

21 April 2009 11:43:41

* Agent found: Graves Jenkins Residential

12 April 2008 09:23:51

* Brief Description found: MAISON MASCARA IS AN INNOVATIVE FAMILY RUN BOUTIQUE HOTEL PROVIDING EIGHT VERY COMFORTABLE THEMED ROOMS. ALL ROOMS ARE EQUIPPED WITH DVD PLAYERS, WIRELESS BROADBAND AND COURTESY TRAYS. [Found by n/a]

* Price found: £275,000 [Found by n/a]

* Status found: Available [Found by n/a]

* Subtitle found: 8 bedroom guest house [Found by n/a]

* Title found: Montpelier Road, BN1 [Found by n/a]

Fat fingers or for real?

Looks like only 17 years left on lease.

Yeah saw that yesterday. It went off the market for a bit and then came back on with 35% off what was, on face value, a very good price.

My guess is that someone is asking a lot of money (or refusing?) to extend the lease.

Spotted this 3 bed detached house with a £117,450 reduction only two days after it came on. :o Someone knows the game is up.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-15960009.html

History

date event

08 June 2010

* Price changed: from '£269,950' to '£152,500'

06 June 2010

* Initial entry found.

Full description:

A BEAUTIFULLY APPOINTED AND RECENTLY EXTENDED 3/4 BEDROOMED DETACHED HOUSE WHICH BENEFITS FROM: gas central heating, sealed unit double glazing and double car parking space. The accommodation briefly comprises: Porch, beautifully appointed Lounge, Dining Kitchen with peninsular breakfast bar and integrated dishwasher and extractor hood. Possible Bedroom 4. Upstairs: Three good sized bedrooms and Luxurious modern Bathroom. Outside: to the front of the property is a paved area with ample parking. A wall and security gates give access to the side. Security AN INTERNAL INSPECTION IS ESSENTIAL TO APPRECIATE THE QUALITY OF THIS FAMILY HOME.

Fits in with what I am seeing here in Mid Sussex. I took a look on Rightmove for the first time in a month, typed in my postcode and then thought there was some mistake. It came up with 349 properties but usually only about 40 odd. I assumed it was an error but then took a look and saw all kinds of fantastic houses that were getting snapped up before even hitting the market a few months ago. Loads and loads of family homes close to the station, it was like Xmas !!! This is a London Commuter Town were people were telling me prices would never come down due to the lack of supply.

So I have saved my favourites with a note of the price and will now wait for the fun to begin :lol:

This coincided with a friend of mine calling to say that his landlord (who happened to be an ex housemate who as a student was bought the house by his Mum and Dad) as had to reduce his price again to less than his parents paid for it in 2005. It has been up before xmas but with little interest and now Mummy and Daddy have waded in and are asking for the rent money to be paid into their own account rather than their sons (2 other people paying rent as well but looking to leave in Summer). They were there to farm it out to loads of estate agents (and university accom people) but apparently it isnt the thing this year for parents to buy houses for the new crop of freshers. This is in Brighton in an area very popular with students. The parents were telling my mate they couldn't afford to drop it any lower in price.

Fits in with what I am seeing here in Mid Sussex. I took a look on Rightmove for the first time in a month, typed in my postcode and then thought there was some mistake. It came up with 349 properties but usually only about 40 odd. I assumed it was an error but then took a look and saw all kinds of fantastic houses that were getting snapped up before even hitting the market a few months ago. Loads and loads of family homes close to the station, it was like Xmas !!! This is a London Commuter Town were people were telling me prices would never come down due to the lack of supply.

So I have saved my favourites with a note of the price and will now wait for the fun to begin :lol:

This coincided with a friend of mine calling to say that his landlord (who happened to be an ex housemate who as a student was bought the house by his Mum and Dad) as had to reduce his price again to less than his parents paid for it in 2005. It has been up before xmas but with little interest and now Mummy and Daddy have waded in and are asking for the rent money to be paid into their own account rather than their sons (2 other people paying rent as well but looking to leave in Summer). They were there to farm it out to loads of estate agents (and university accom people) but apparently it isnt the thing this year for parents to buy houses for the new crop of freshers. This is in Brighton in an area very popular with students. The parents were telling my mate they couldn't afford to drop it any lower in price.

There are student areas all over the country now which are increasingly undesirable for any families to live in basically because nearly all propoerties are now rentals.

At some stage the universities are going to have to rely of screwing money out of their students through more accommodation.

Be intersting to see what happens to these areas - benefit land I reckon - even less attractive to the main market.

Another vintage 24 hours on Rightmove here in Brighton and Hove with in excess of 100 properties added (or reduced) yet again.

A daily occurrence in London but amazed to hear that's being repeated in Brighton.