House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tin Foil Hat

Cameron: 'difficult Decisions' On Pay And Benefits

Cameron: 'Difficult decisions' on pay and benefits

Page last updated at 15:47 GMT, Monday, 7 June 2010 16:47 UK

David Cameron: "Britain will come out stronger on the other side"

Prime Minister David Cameron has warned of "difficult decisions" on pay, pensions and benefits as he set out the case for "painful" cuts ahead.

He said dealing with the deficit would be "unavoidably tough" and affect "our whole way of life".

He said he would not cut the deficit "in a way that hurts those we most need to help" or "that divides the country".

http://news.bbc.co.u...cs/10250603.stm

It's a Tories wet dream - the perfect excuse to run rampant with an end result of putting even more cash and control into the hands of the elite.

It's a Tories wet dream - the perfect excuse to run rampant with an end result of putting even more cash and control into the hands of the elite.

You have it in a nutshell.

But Germany are making cuts too, they need to because their Debt to GDP ratio is 5% worse than ours.

We are in for a period of competitive economic repression of ordinary people.

Guest absolutezero

You have it in a nutshell.

But Germany are making cuts too, they need to because their Debt to GDP ratio is 5% worse than ours.

We are in for a period of competitive economic repression of ordinary people.

Welcomed with open arms by the working-class Tories on here who think they're not working-class.

Guest X-QUORK

I'm a leftie who's glad to see the back of the Labour government. A tricky one for some of you "black and white worlders", but there you have it.

Interesting... http://blogs.telegra...han-we-thought/

I expect to see more of this, even the CBI are getting squeaky bums. Its funny really, why couldn't they see until now that it was going to affect them as well? There would be tactical strike on 30% of the public sector that would leave demand undiminished and government contractors (e.g., 30%+ of many of our industries) completely unharmed? Posters on forums I understand, people who write black and white articles for the Mail and people who believe them, I understand, but finally the Murdoch press gets the memo? Bizarre.

Cogs, good, important find:

Cameron is wrong: the public finances are better than we thought

As you point out, this is in the Telegraph. WTF ?

Guest happy?

This is going to hurt you a lot more than it is me. The real test is whether Georgie caves in on CGT. If he does you know they're sheep.

I'm a leftie who's glad to see the back of the Labour government. A tricky one for some of you "black and white worlders", but there you have it.

Sentimentalist. You'll be back voting New Brand Lab pretty soon.

PM me your bank account number so I can make a direct transfer of my earnings, without the bother of representative taxation.

Guest X-QUORK

PM me your bank account number so I can make a direct transfer of my earnings, without the bother of representative taxation.

fd5bm0.jpg

2sbk8k8.jpg

Yes, £6bn of cuts will bring the country to its knees :rolleyes:

Unless of course Davey boy is talking from a 5 year term in parliament perspective.

I'm sorry, but I'm a bit slow.

Please could you explain to me why this is an important find?

It is important because it shows that Cameron is misrepresenting the defecit issue.

It is important because the Telegraph is running the story, rather than echoing Tory Central Office press releases.

It is important because it is one of the first criticisms of Libcon in the Press. The honeymoon is over.

It is important because it shows that Cameron is misrepresenting the defecit issue.

It is important because the Telegraph is running the story, rather than echoing Tory Central Office press releases.

It is important because it is one of the first criticisms of Libcon in the Press. The honeymoon is over.

I thought his major point was that the growth forecasts Labour had concocted were even more ridiculous than they first appeared and it has now come to light just how much Labour were relying on this fantasy growth to reduce the deficit.

How is this not the case?

Guest X-QUORK

I thought his major point was that the growth forecasts Labour had concocted were even more ridiculous than they first appeared and it has now come to light just how much Labour were relying on this fantasy growth to reduce the deficit.

How is this not the case?

Yes, that is my understanding too.

Yes, £6bn of cuts will bring the country to its knees :rolleyes:

Unless of course Davey boy is talking from a 5 year term in parliament perspective.

We've already have 6bn, its the 60bn in the budget he is talking about, 20%+ off everything.

We've already have 6bn, its the 60bn in the budget he is talking about, 20%+ off everything.

Then come 22nd June 2010, CGT will be the last thing on people's minds and pardon the pun, the cogs of HPC will be set in motion.

A few paragraphs of not very much in a blog and you think that's a gamechanger.

Pathetic.

They should be slashing local housing allowance, and couple it with a law preventing landlords from refusing the reduction offered by tenants.

Then come 22nd June 2010, CGT will be the last thing on people's minds and pardon the pun, the cogs of HPC will be set in motion.

This is why CGT. Its a staged attempt to make it look like "sharing the pain" is going on. Cameron must be at his wits end to understand why it is the right-wing press are so bloody thick they can't see it. Then again, maybe it only works if they make a HUGE FUSS and it goes through anyway.

I think that the government has quite a job on its hands.

It believes (rightly or wrongly) that we need to begin substantially reducing the deficit starting pretty much ASAP. It's hard to be qualitative, because it's all relative, but... by all accounts, the deficit is quite a biggie. It's hard to imagine a way to make serious in-roads into reducing it without it really hurting.

I imagine that Cameron is trying to prepare the public for pain; to manage expectations. I suppose that he may be thinking something along the lines of: "For every person I can get to understand where we are and to expect that things are going to get tough, maybe that's one fewer person on the streets when the riots start."

What do you think the government's approach should be?

Should they attempt to cut the deficit substantially? If so, how should they go about it? Can you think of a way of reducing public spending by, say, £100bn a year without most people in the country feeling some pain?

I'm in the position where I read what you say, but I don't really know where you're coming from. Maybe you could explain what you think should be done by the government... or what you would do differently?

Guest happy?

I think that the government has quite a job on its hands.

It believes (rightly or wrongly) that we need to begin substantially reducing the deficit starting pretty much ASAP. It's hard to be qualitative, because it's all relative, but... by all accounts, the deficit is quite a biggie. It's hard to imagine a way to make serious in-roads into reducing it without it really hurting.

I imagine that Cameron is trying to prepare the public for pain; to manage expectations. I suppose that he may be thinking something along the lines of: "For every person I can get to understand where we are and to expect that things are going to get tough, maybe that's one fewer person on the streets when the riots start."

What do you think the government's approach should be?

Should they attempt to cut the deficit substantially? If so, how should they go about it? Can you think of a way of reducing public spending by, say, £100bn a year without most people in the country feeling some pain?

I'm in the position where I read what you say, but I don't really know where you're coming from. Maybe you could explain what you think should be done by the government... or what you would do differently?

Is there something you know which we don't - or are you simply economically illiterate?

Is there something you know which we don't - or are you simply economically illiterate?

It's entirely possible that I'm economically illiterate, but perhaps you could explain precisely why you ask.