House Price Crash Forum
Realistbear

I M F Have A Solution: Surrender Your Sovereignty

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/eurozone-needs-fundamental-reforms-imf-afp-8247f95210e9.html?x=0

Eurozone needs 'fundamental' reforms: IMF
18:04, Monday 7 June 2010
Eurozone countries should cede more control over national budgets to Brussels, the IMF said Monday, warning Europe's currency bloc must "complete the project of monetary union."

History demonstrates that political union was always impossible. Economically speaking the Union was going to last as long as the good times rolled but as soon as things got tough nationalism trumps everything else.

Can anyone on here see Cameron ceding more control to Brussels (Germany)? No, neither can I. The EU experiment is doomed.

[Can anyone on here see Cameron ceding more control to Brussels (Germany)? No, neither can I. The EU experiment is doomed.

I wish it was as clear as that! Experiment is too kind a word - torture perhaps? It should be relabelled the 'Eerweuro again club.' If I were PM, not a single power would leave these isles and I would be going for the Norweigian solution.

Can anyone on here see Cameron ceding more control to Brussels (Germany)? No, neither can I. The EU experiment is doomed.
Hang on a minute.....this comes from the IMF, not from the EU itself. Take with a large pinch of salt.

I think the EU is too valuable a thing to lose, it just needs to adapt. We're all EU citizens with certain freedoms that we can exercise throughout the EU. As soon as people start to realise they could lose those freedoms, the tide of public opinion will turn in favour of the EU.

A large number of people have, over the years, taken advantage of their right to live, work and travel freely within the EU.

If I were PM, not a single power would leave these isles and I would be going for the Norweigian solution.
......Known in Norway as 'government by fax'. In other words, since most of Norway's foreign trade is with the EU, it has to abide by a lot of EU regulations, but it has no say in making those regulations. They just have to obey faxes from Brussels (or maybe it's government by e-mail these days) Edited by blankster

Hang on a minute.....this comes from the IMF, not from the EU itself. Take with a large pinch of salt.

I think the EU is too valuable a thing to lose, it just needs to adapt. We're all EU citizens with certain freedoms that we can exercise throughout the EU. As soon as people start to realise they could lose those freedoms, the tide of public opinion will turn in favour of the EU.

Huh? I'm British with certain freedoms I can exercise in the place that matters, ie where I live, ie Britain.

The EU can sod off.

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/eurozone-needs-fundamental-reforms-imf-afp-8247f95210e9.html?x=0

Eurozone countries should cede more control over national budgets to Brussels, the IMF said Monday, warning Europe's currency bloc must "complete the project of monetary union."

History demonstrates that political union was always impossible. Economically speaking the Union was going to last as long as the good times rolled but as soon as things got tough nationalism trumps everything else.

yeah yeah yeah.

...no

now THAT I agree with.

this should not be about complete centralisation of power.....it's been proven to be a complete disaster.

the nature of the EU needs to change.

the project itself is noble enough.

The EU?

Hmm, is that where Germany pays to build really good roads throughout Europe?

you've never driven in Belgium I take it ?

One nice upside to the Euro dream is now that Greece has gone belly up, the UK public are aware of the dangers of monetary union.

Monetary union, will not work without tax/legislative union.....Given the expenses scandal back home from MP's mugging the state! We are in no need now of a more centralised/corrupt body of out of touch representatives.

A large number of people have, over the years, taken advantage of their right to live, work and travel freely within the EU.

......Known in Norway as 'government by fax'. In other words, since most of Norway's foreign trade is with the EU, it has to abide by a lot of EU regulations, but it has no say in making those regulations. They just have to obey faxes from Brussels (or maybe it's government by e-mail these days)

The quote says Eurozone - not EU. I think it is an important distinction.

That's good - you can see that political and currency unions work then.

Why don't you form a political and currency union with Liberia?

After all, political and currency unions are always a good thing right.

10 asinine points for the eurofanatic.

Edited by EUBanana

That's good - you can see that political and currency unions work then.

Erm...

AFAIK the union of the United Kingdom only worked because the English appear not to mind shovelling vast sums of their money to look after the Welsh, Scottish and Northern Irish.

The precise problem with the Eurozone is that the Germans (and Dutch etc.) DO MIND about about giving large amounts of money year after year to southern Europe.

In other words, unbalanced single-currency zones only work with political unity and the willingness to provide permanent fiscal transfers to "weaker" regions ("weaker" = lazier/feckless). Which is precisely why many people said that the Euro would fail, right from the start.

Huh? I'm British with certain freedoms I can exercise in the place that matters, ie where I live, ie Britain.

The EU can sod off.

+10

Well said, Sir.

......Known in Norway as 'government by fax'. In other words, since most of Norway's foreign trade is with the EU, it has to abide by a lot of EU regulations, but it has no say in making those regulations. They just have to obey faxes from Brussels (or maybe it's government by e-mail these days)

I do not know of one single person that has gone to live or work in another EU country, none has even considered it.

It costs every man woman and child £1000 per year to be in the EU. I would rather have my £1000 thanks. Actually I'd rather have a fiver.

"the tide of public opinion will turn in favour of the EU" What utter b0II0cks. You must be from a differant country than the one I'm in.

Edited by Papa Serf