House Price Crash Forum
TheCountOfNowhere

Does Anyone Believe House Prices Will Keep Going Up This Year ?

Just watching Cameron telling everyone how bad it's going to get.

Didnt agree with him when he said interest rates going up makes everyone in the country worst off. I might email him and tell him when he says everyone, he might mention "apart from the count of nowhere and several thousand other savers". I'd personally like to see a return to the days of 10%+ interest rates.

So, after his rather wet speech, does anyone in the country now believe house prices are going to keep going up ?

If so, why ?

I doubt many on here do, preaching to the coverted as it were.

There are already public sector workers squealing like pigs on the likes of Sky news comment pages.

The media habit of referring to 'everyone' and 'we all'...........as in it was our fault because 'we all borrowed too much' is insulting to the count of nowhere and everyone else with a brain...............I think house prices will go up by 0.2377% in June, and then plateau for about a decade followed by a meteoric rise in 2021.

A house just came on the market near me for 370K - it last sold in 2007 for 250K. An identical house in the same road sold for 280K in April.

Another house came on the market last Friday for 400K - last sold in Dec 2007 for 250K.

To answer you question - yep!

I am beginning to wonder what house prices will do in an hyperinflation environment? Will HPCers be able to get in and buy as they will collapse or will they, like everything else, shoot up?

There is probably a month or three left before the indexes show a convincing move back down, and most of the YoY rates may well still be showing a positive figure in December. But generally, all the indicators show that the pressure is strongly downwards.

Unless they print some more money of course...

Didnt agree with him when he said interest rates going up makes everyone in the country worst off. I might email him and tell him when he says everyone, he might mention "apart from the count of nowhere and several thousand other savers". I'd personally like to see a return to the days of 10%+ interest rates.

So, after his rather wet speech, does anyone in the country now believe house prices are going to keep going up ?

If so, why ?

There are already public sector workers squealing like pigs on the likes of Sky news comment pages.

I was thinking the same as I saw the speech - can house prices really go up in these circumstances? The question is therefore, will they go down or will they plateau. They can't go up.

I think you are preaching to the converted here though, not sure where all the bulls went??

re: 10% interest rates - this would mean high inflation so not sure it would be great for savers as their capital would get eroded away, but yes would be better if they were a bit higher.

A house just came on the market near me for 370K - it last sold in 2007 for 250K. An identical house in the same road sold for 280K in April.

Another house came on the market last Friday for 400K - last sold in Dec 2007 for 250K.

Cool, did they repaint the toilet ?

Let us know when they have sold and what they go for. Thanks.

That is laughable, but it mirrors when I see too, some people putting their houses up for way over the peak 2007 prices. I can only imagine this is either greed or stupidity. I dont even say "good luck to them", as they dont need luck, they need therapy :lol:

house prices will of course continue to rise at double digit rates due to lack of supply and nothing else to invest in - as ever they will be the safe haven of choice for canny investors

I think it will depend greatly upon where you live. Here in central London (Zone 1-2), my expectation is that prices will carry on regardless. I can't really speak for anywhere else.

Good quality properties where I am are few and far between, nothing is being built (or converted) and there is very limited quality stock.

I have many friends with very big deposits looking for FTB type places and the common complaint is that pretty much everything of quality is under offer in days and often at or above asking price.

A half decent interest rate is viewed the same way as house prices going down - apparently bad for everyone - go figure :rolleyes:

I'd say the honeymoon period is now over, which was basically the last 12 months of the Brown era where everything including the kitchen sink was thrown in to keep prices inflated.

IMO the last tools in the bag were wage inflation and more stimulus, neither of which look to be materialising now. With austerity being the new in thing then other than low interest rates there is nothing to keep this house of cards from crashing down.

I'd still like to see the base rate rise - it's high time savers saw some sort of return on their cash. STR funds need love too, especially while they sit out the housing crash :lol:

I am beginning to wonder what house prices will do in an hyperinflation environment? Will HPCers be able to get in and buy as they will collapse or will they, like everything else, shoot up?

Where is this? Unless its central London and they are looking for foreign buyer, no one will pay esp as they can see what it sold for in 2007.

The problem is that everyone expects houses prices to go up at 10% a year. Although that increase is even more!

There will not be hyperinflation for a while. Can't see pay shooting up any time soon.

Where is this?[b/] Unless its central London and they are looking for foreign buyer, no one will pay esp as they can see what it sold for in 2007.

The problem is that everyone expects houses prices to go up at 10% a year. Although that increase is even more!

There will not be hyperinflation for a while. Can't see pay shooting up any time soon.

Swansea, I think

house prices will of course continue to rise at double digit rates due to lack of supply and nothing else to invest in - as ever they will be the safe haven of choice for canny investors

By "canny investors" do you mean, investors who canny see past the end of their noses ?

:lol:

Where is this? Unless its central London and they are looking for foreign buyer, no one will pay esp as they can see what it sold for in 2007.

Swansea - heart of the global economy! :rolleyes:

I think it will depend greatly upon where you live. Here in central London (Zone 1-2), my expectation is that prices will carry on regardless. I can't really speak for anywhere else.

Good quality properties where I am are few and far between, nothing is being built (or converted) and there is very limited quality stock.

I have many friends with very big deposits looking for FTB type places and the common complaint is that pretty much everything of quality is under offer in days and often at or above asking price.

The only thing that can kill the London bubble will be a big contraction in financial sector pay. It's like putting a stake through the heart of the vampire queen. If we really are on the edge of another big plunge in the financial markets (and it feels like we are), the only thing unique about the London property market will be how much faster it falls than everywhere else.

If so, why ?

I wouldn't rule a small rise nominally jan-dec, I doubt we'll see an inflation adjusted rise, the general trend I still maintain will be down in real terms but not at the gallop.

If you asking the question regionally then I think some areas might well report a larger rise both nominally and in real terms while others will report quite large falls.

Looking at some of the london prices it's a bubble about to burst the prices are stupid and the people buying them insane...we have been here before....

I'd like to be a fly on the wall when the next insolvent financial institution goes to Number 10 to ask for a hand out....I think the answer might be not to their liking.

I have half a mind to go view them and ask them straight how they can justify their asking prices?

No doubt a pointless exercise.

I have half a mind to go view them and ask them straight how they can justify their asking prices?

No doubt a pointless exercise.

I shall be doing exactly this on Saturday. Going for time wasting, tyre kicking viewing for a laugh. Going to ask how they justify such a high price when it's been on the market a year Its a bit below 2007 prices I'd say but still probably 50% more than I would be willing to pay.

That is totally correct, London is such a popular place to live that there is a chronic shortage of properties. The population has sky rocketed over the last decade and you need to buy now before you are priced out. Quality properties such as those with a roof and not made with cardboard are highly sort after and can only go up in the current economic environment.

Sarcasm off,

The London mega bubble is going to be fun watching implode

Population of London over the last 50 years has fallen and is likely to continue to fall.

http://www.demographia.com/dm-lon31.htm

1951 8,196,807

1961 7,992,443

1971 7,368,693

1981 6,608,598

1991 6,679,699

2001 7,172,036

2008 (Non census Number) 7,56,000

London currently has a lower population than 1931.

I'd be interested in what anyone thought about prices in the South East/Essex/Chelmsford area.

I started a thread onthis in the "Regional House Prices" area of the site but got no reply.

Everywhere else seems to be going down, but not the South East.

Does anyone have any views on whether the falls are likely to move to the South East soon ? Or do you think it will remain (with london) "a region apart" ?

Is there anygood reason why it is like this ?

Especially, I am thinking, with upcoming Public Secor cuts (lots of those people must live in Essex).

Can I ask the more experienced on the site....... do you think the SE will remain different OR start moving with the rest of the country ? I'll be looking to buy over the next few years and have a reasonable 20%-25% deposit if I hold on for a while (especially if there are falls)

They can ask what they like...a seller has to have a buyer with the readies to make a sale...everything else is wishful thinking. ;)