House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
xps

Reinstatement Value Question

Hi All,

Sorry newbie here and 1st time house buyer. We're buying a flat. It's in a flat conversion in central London. It's a basement flat the offer is 345K. The Survey & Valuation came back and it mentioned the reinstatement value is 145K/flat.

There are 2 other flats in the house, the ground flat and the top level flat which is a maisonette floor 1 and floor 2.

Is reinstatement value of 145K/flat something that I need to worry about? When insuring the house should I insure 145K for the building or the entire building? I called the valuation guys but they are pretty useless, it's one of the company appointed by the bank.

Thanks!

xps

Hi XPS.

You will no doubt find that the whole building is insured with one insurance company already. If you are buying a long lease then the freeholder will be insuring the property in its entirity. If you are buying a share of the freehold then you will prob find the other freeholders have set up a management company and this company insures the whole flat. You will be charged a monthsly fee for the insurance and other maintenance costs if you are a leaseholder or they will spilt the insurance cost equally if you own a share of the freehold.

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks

You will no doubt find that the whole building is insured with one insurance company already. If you are buying a long lease then the freeholder will be insuring the property in its entirity. If you are buying a share of the freehold then you will prob find the other freeholders have set up a management company and this company insures the whole flat. You will be charged a monthsly fee for the insurance and other maintenance costs if you are a leaseholder or they will spilt the insurance cost equally if you own a share of the freehold.

I see thanks for the clarification, I guess it's now back to solicitor to find out if the building is already insured fully.