House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

Number Of Staff 'throwing Sickies' From Work Falls To A 23-Year Low

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/number-of-staff-throwing-sickies-from-work-falls--to-a-23year-low-1993392.html

British workers collectively took 180 million days off work last year, costing the economy almost £17bn – but the figure was the lowest for 23 years.

Research published today by the Confederation of British Industry (CBI) and Pfizer shows the average employee took 6.4 days off sick in 2009, down from 6.7 days in 2007, the last time the survey was conducted. The average was the lowest since 1987, when the research was first undertaken.

The CBI said reductions in sickness leave in the public sector accounted for the fall, though the absence rate in the private sector remained significantly lower. Overall, the cost of staff absence to the economy was £16.8bn.

The business group also said that surveys of senior human resources staff suggested that about 15 per cent of the days workers took off last year were not genuine, suggesting that Britons took 27 million "sickies" between them, costing £2.5bn in 2009.

Larger organisations tend to have higher levels of absenteeism than smaller ones, and there is evidence that employers which have introduced policies to encourage staff off sick for the long-term to return to work are beginning to reap the benefits.

Surely job losses would account for some of the decline? However surely a lot of people must be wondering about their jobs and when the cuts come those who are ill a lot may be picked to leave.

nah it's because of global warming = people get less colds

next you'll have world leaders trying to increase CO2 more to increase global productivity and health :lol:

mate o mine,public sector,says things have got really bitchy in his dept since about march when they were warned about job losses,says all of a sudden everythings getting done yesterday.

coffee,wake up,the,smell,

It is starting to turn Lord Of The Flies, beggar thy neighbour. I've heard this too.

What measurement/attributes do you think these "senior HR bods" use to determine a day off is a sickie? I can think of obvious ones like someone always having Mondays off; any others? Surely you can discipline these people or dock their salary so the cost is reduced or eliminated.

Edited by pl1

It is starting to turn Lord Of The Flies, beggar thy neighbour. I've heard this too.

What measurement/attributes do you think these "senior HR bods" use to determine a day off is a sickie? I can think of obvious ones like someone always having Mondays off; any others? Surely you can discipline these people or dock their salary so the cost is reduced or eliminated.

I refer you to the "Bradford Factor",

All that walking on Ilkley Moor, bar tat I guess.