House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

the coming storm

The Internet And Our Brains

How the Internet is rewiring our Brains

Interest Article - Not sure how much you guys spend on the net - but judging by how much you post - I'd says it most of the time. I know I don't watch TV these days. It interesting that having all this knowledge at our fingertips is a brilliant and makes us a little smarter where as before you have to spend a long time searching for information we can find it so quickly - I always think about just cutting out the net to say a few times a week - as it can be a huge time waster - however its so addictive and TV is crap - so why not. There is always the chance you will find that gem of a website - but sometimes its better just to read a review of the websites - that way you get a summary without the constant searching.

but the downside being all the readily available information at least for me - means you read reams and reams of the same crap - You tend to read more easily understandable information like newspapers, and quick surfing of info rather than sitting down, and really taking the time to understand something complex ... What you do you guys think, does the internet make us smarter to more stupid, or just the same with more info on hands - and just eats up into our time when it be bettter spend maybe with work or family stuff, or just doing something practical? Maybe its just a case of getting the balance. I think its good sometimes to just aimlessly search the net - its almost like day dream, just letting your mind wander.

Definitley something in that.

I've always had a short attention span and it's got worse since tinternet took off.

It's why I hardly ever drive or travel by car. I get bored shitless in a car within seconds.

I wonder if this has anything to do with increased rail usage? people prefer to multi-task while travelling.

More msm references to the body as a machine being 'rewired'. Yeah, and the heart is just a pump and my eyes are just lenses. ffs

I would say the correct word is deprogrammed. The people that turn off the tv and look on the internet are reversing the programming received from the tv.

More msm references to the body as a machine being 'rewired'. Yeah, and the heart is just a pump and my eyes are just lenses. ffs

I would say the correct word is deprogrammed. The people that turn off the tv and look on the internet are reversing the programming received from the tv.

I notice David Cameron description of Bird as having a switch triggering in his brain.

Do they still prreach the finding of 150 years old French philosophy in public schools?

Paragraph removed

Definitley something in that.

I've always had a short attention span and it's got worse since tinternet took off.

It's why I hardly ever drive or travel by car. I get bored shitless in a car within seconds.

I wonder if this has anything to do with increased rail usage? people prefer to multi-task while travelling.

I spend most of my spare time on the internet but I can quite happily sit for hours on a long journey with only my thoughts for entertainment.

Whichever angle I look at it from, I'm split 50:50 on whether the internet has been good or bad for the world.

Yes, vast databanks of cultural and scientific information is available online but I'll bet barely an individual has turned from Eastenders and Big Brother to this vast resource of cerebral goodies. The people reading it are those who liked that stuff anyway, expect now they don't have to bother digging for information using old school methods but merely cut and paste what's previously been put online. Thus, paradoxically, more information has merely dumbed down those who would have previously had the will and desire to pursue it.

Yes, I can now know insane amounts of info about my favourite films, directors and bands in minutes. However, the magic of waiting for that magazine or fanzine to come, or scouring library or bookshop shelves for morsels of information seemed somehow more satisfying.

Yes, it's cool that I can hear pretty much any tune on a whim - tunes from my childhood, tunes from bands I only knew by name. On the flipside, there's no way for new young bands to monetize what they do. Spending a fun couple of years on the toilet tour, peddling a £15 album has gone. Myspace culture just means giving your best stuff away for free in a futile scramble to be noticed by nobodies that aren't going to give you a cent.

It's not just the net but tech in general.Falling prices have put better cameras, musical instruments, recording gear, and the like into more hands than ever before (good) but still no one can write a better album than Forever Changes, it's all to-the-grid, clicktracked for Cubase. Photography seems to have regressed into sterile photoshoppy noodling - most of it is just horrible. Where are the amazing low-budget films shot on HD? One passable effort is made for every zillion semi-pro camcorders sold.

Guest happy?

How the Internet is rewiring our Brains

Interest Article - Not sure how much you guys spend on the net - but judging by how much you post - I'd says it most of the time. I know I don't watch TV these days. It interesting that having all this knowledge at our fingertips is a brilliant and makes us a little smarter where as before you have to spend a long time searching for information we can find it so quickly - I always think about just cutting out the net to say a few times a week - as it can be a huge time waster - however its so addictive and TV is crap - so why not. There is always the chance you will find that gem of a website - but sometimes its better just to read a review of the websites - that way you get a summary without the constant searching.

but the downside being all the readily available information at least for me - means you read reams and reams of the same crap - You tend to read more easily understandable information like newspapers, and quick surfing of info rather than sitting down, and really taking the time to understand something complex ... What you do you guys think, does the internet make us smarter to more stupid, or just the same with more info on hands - and just eats up into our time when it be bettter spend maybe with work or family stuff, or just doing something practical? Maybe its just a case of getting the balance. I think its good sometimes to just aimlessly search the net - its almost like day dream, just letting your mind wander.

I started scan-reading it and gave up, bored.

What was it about?