House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Darkman

Tv License Update

I've decided I'm not going to pay for something I don't use. I don't watch the BBC because I don't like i. Why pay to support such a biased corporation? I don't own a TV actually, and make a point of avoiding BBC news online. I wouldn't pay that much money for any subscription cable company.

I've received the "pay up or we'll come over and intimidate you" letter. I could just wait for their visit, but I'd rather be pro-active in this.

Any advice on what to say in a letter? I'd rather demotivate them and prevent a visit, though I wouldn't let them in anyway. Where exactly do I stand in all this?

Guest UK Debt Slave

I've decided I'm not going to pay for something I don't use. I don't watch the BBC because I don't like i. Why pay to support such a biased corporation? I don't own a TV actually, and make a point of avoiding BBC news online. I wouldn't pay that much money for any subscription cable company.

I've received the "pay up or we'll come over and intimidate you" letter. I could just wait for their visit, but I'd rather be pro-active in this.

Any advice on what to say in a letter? I'd rather demotivate them and prevent a visit, though I wouldn't let them in anyway. Where exactly do I stand in all this?

Don't bother to communicate with them

Just ignore them and bin any threatening letters they send you. They'll get fed up and go away after 6 months or so. They have no power to enter your property either, so if they turn up on your doorstep, just ignore them. Don't enter into conversation with them

and do not let them enter your home.

Toss the letter away and forget about it, they threaten all they want but if an inspector comes round they aren't allowed entry without a warrant which they will never have. They only have limited powers and thats if they see you through the window watching TV. More threatening letters will come and you can toss those in the bin too. Eventually they will get bored and forget about it.

ok. I won't write to them then. It'll be interesting to see who shows up, if anyone.

We had an odd caller the other night actually, around 9pm. I answered the buzzer and this guy asked "does a lady live there?" WTF? What kind of question is that? :lol: I didn't let him in of course.

I recently rigged up a simple security camera, following an incident with local chavs. I could see this guy had an unmarked new white van.

Anyway, we'll see.

ok. I won't write to them then. It'll be interesting to see who shows up, if anyone.

We had an odd caller the other night actually, around 9pm. I answered the buzzer and this guy asked "does a lady live there?" WTF? What kind of question is that? :lol: I didn't let him in of course.

I recently rigged up a simple security camera, following an incident with local chavs. I could see this guy had an unmarked new white van.

Anyway, we'll see.

Was it an IP Cam with LED's for night vision? I'm thinking of getting one of these although I think they are £100ish?

How come you hear about single mums on benefits in jail for non-payment of tv license then? Or do they just have it blaring loud when the "inspector" comes a calling?

Also, I'm so surprised no one has come up with a device that prevent's your TV from receiving BBC programs, could this be used to circumvent TV license? Surely a log file on your Internet usage could show you don't access BBC.co.uk.

Best advice is not to write to them. You do not have to prove to the state that you are not breaking the law and they have absolutely to right to be intimidation people into doing their job for them.

Was it an IP Cam with LED's for night vision? I'm thinking of getting one of these although I think they are £100ish?

How come you hear about single mums on benefits in jail for non-payment of tv license then? Or do they just have it blaring loud when the "inspector" comes a calling?

Also, I'm so surprised no one has come up with a device that prevent's your TV from receiving BBC programs, could this be used to circumvent TV license? Surely a log file on your Internet usage could show you don't access BBC.co.uk.

People get done for not paying the TV tax because they are either stupid or unlucky - mostly the former, I imagine.

It's easy to prevent people getting BBC channels - just encrypt them and make people pay a subscription. They'll never do this though because loads of people just wouldn't bother.

The BBC is far too big - much bigger than it needs to be. It's nice to see that they are looking at axing a few radio channels. Pity the renovation of their building in london as £100M over budget though.

Sadly no, the license is to receive *any* live broadcast programs. So even if you only ever watched Sky1 you would still have to pay for programs you dont watch. Clever isnt it?

It made sense when TV was first invented and there was only the bbc. But it has not kept up with the times, or seems to understand that someone might want to watch non bbc programs. Or maybe they understand but dont care.

Don't bother to communicate with them

They'll get fed up and go away after 6 months or so.

No so in my case, after about six months they stopped addressing them to me and changed to 'The Occupier'. Then after six months of this they started addressing them to me again. I really wished I hadn't thrown them all away as I must have seen about a dozen different variations of thier threatening letters.

and do not let them enter your home.

I've found the best way to get shot of them is just to listen to their speel, stare blankly at them once they've finished and then close the door without uttering a word. I have not had one of them knock on again as they know you know that there is sweet FA they can do.

As someone else said they rely on the unlucky and stupid.

Sadly no, the license is to receive *any* live broadcast programs. So even if you only ever watched Sky1 you would still have to pay for programs you dont watch. Clever isnt it?

It made sense when TV was first invented and there was only the bbc. But it has not kept up with the times, or seems to understand that someone might want to watch non bbc programs. Or maybe they understand but dont care.

Correct, any live television or internet broardcast. So if your watching live web feeds on any website you need a TV licence, although I am not aware of any private individual being prosecuted for this.

Your address

Customer Relations

TV Licensing

Bristol

BS98 1TL

To whom it may concern

Withdrawl of Implied Right of Access

I am writing to inform you that I am withdrawing impied right of access to my house (address above) with immediate effect for all empolyees of the BBC, TV Licensing or any other organisation affiliated with said companies. Please be advised that any person or persons attempting to visit my house or setting foot on any part of my property in relation to any matter related to TV licensing will henceforth be treated as tresspassers and will be dealt with accordingly.

Sincerely

Your name here

Send a copy via recorded delivery. Keep a copy somewhere and brandish it at any of the cretins that show up. On no account should you attempt to have a conversation beyond showing them this letter and telling them that if they do not leave you will be calling the police. Under no circumstances sign anything they brandish in front of you. They have as many legal powers as a door to door salesman which is what they are anyway.

I have received a letter a month(nearly two years) since moving here & three 'inspector visits'.

Would Lawyers call that "Harrassment"?

Most letters are the intimidating "threatening you with court action" or "We are sending the inspector around" type and the inspectors I just tell to turn around, off the property, go away.

Don't let them in your house, don't say anything to them or even admit your name. Don't WRITE or reply to anything to them!

No TV = Not guilty of any crime and they should not be allowed to treat British Citizens in this manner. ie Guilty before proof = allowed to harrass people thru intimidation in their own homes!

Inspectors/letters will come back and do the same thing to you after 9-12mnths if you do not get a license(even if you let them into your house) - so let them waste their time and money!

PS The cheeky "Inspector" walla's even dress up in "police black trousers/uniform 'impersonating' real 'officials' to throw you off-balance!

(to put over a visual brain advantage to them thru your 'conditioning' to black suited law officials)

Correct, any live television or internet broardcast. So if your watching live web feeds on any website you need a TV licence, although I am not aware of any private individual being prosecuted for this.

One lunatic politician mentioned a few months ago that 'they' want to put through a new law, saying that anyone with a 'monitor'/screen has to pay a T.V. licence.

It's like saying "your car is a bus" because it has an engine and carries passengers and forcing you to pay for an expensive bus licence"

What depths will they drop to?

A population forced to pay Xtra for their own brainwashing/conditioning is the pits!

As said. Don't write to them. Just do nothing. I havn't have never had one. Ive beeen living in my current house for 8 years now and they dont even bother me with letters any more.

I think they get the message after a while and just pray you dont go telling your friends how easy it is to not pay.

Guest happy?

One lunatic politician mentioned a few months ago that 'they' want to put through a new law, saying that anyone with a 'monitor'/screen has to pay a T.V. licence.

It's like saying "your car is a bus" because it has an engine and carries passengers and forcing you to pay for an expensive bus licence"

What depths will they drop to?

A population forced to pay Xtra for their own brainwashing/conditioning is the pits!

And yet the Daily Mail has a successful business model

Dear Mr X

I have received your letter dated [date] in which you claim that I am using unlicenced television receiving equipment at the above address.

In order for your prosecution to be successful, the court will require you to present evidence to prove beyond reasonable doubt that such an offence has taken place. Also, you must present this evidence to me before the trial takes place, otherwise it will not be considered by the court. To obtain a warrant to enter my property, you must be able to show reasonable grounds that such activity is taking place.

The fact that other people may be using unlicenced television equipment is not evidence that I am, and will not be accepted as such by the court. I would also remind you that the burden of proof is on you to show that an offence has taken place, and not on me to show that it has not.

I look forward to receiving an immediate reply giving details of the evidence you intend to rely upon in your court case. I do not intend to call you on you your premium rate telephone number to discuss this case or to provide your staff with any assistance in gathering evidence to support your case.

This letter gives notice that any implied right of access your employees may have to my property has been revoked, and entry will only be permitted if they are in possession of a valid search warrant, and any correspondence, other than to reply to the points raised in this letter will be treated as harassment.

Yours sincerely

The Legal Occupier

[only give them your real name if they have addressed you by name in your letter]

You don't have to tell TV licencing aka the BBC you don't need a TV licence.

I wrote to them a year ago when I got rid of my freeview box go get a refund. They said they would visit me to "confirm" I didn't need a licence and I replied withdrawing "presumed right of access" as suggested above.

Haven't heard a peep out of them since.

Getting rid of my freeview box has been liberating btw and I would highly recommend it to anyone.

You don't have to tell TV licencing aka the BBC you don't need a TV licence.

I wrote to them a year ago when I got rid of my freeview box go get a refund. They said they would visit me to "confirm" I didn't need a licence and I replied withdrawing "presumed right of access" as suggested above.

Haven't heard a peep out of them since.

Getting rid of my freeview box has been liberating btw and I would highly recommend it to anyone.

Well this is the crux isn't it? Getting rid of your unproductive television will probably be the best thing you could ever do, it's almost a cliché now to ask Why Dont You? style, how much time you waste watching the frackin' thing:

[quote name='erranta' date='28 February 2010 - 06:23 PM' timestamp='1267381430' post='240675

Would Lawyers call that "Harrassment"?

Probably. To be honest, they should either put up, or shut up! Leave you alone or presecute you.

They are like the worse type of bottom-feeding debt collection firms; pester you like hell but the bottom libe is that they never actually do anything official because they know they won't win!

Yes, the old "I'm not gonna pay the TV Licence" routine ..... regularly peddled out by wannabe rebels/anarchists ..... and people who think saving about a tenner a month will change their lives and make the world a better place :rolleyes:

If you can't afford to pay a measly £140 squid a year - maybe you need to get a paper round !! :lol:

Yes, the old "I'm not gonna pay the TV Licence" routine ..... regularly peddled out by wannabe rebels/anarchists ..... and people who think saving about a tenner a month will change their lives and make the world a better place :rolleyes:

If you can't afford to pay a measly £140 squid a year - maybe you need to get a paper round !! :lol:

Have you no worthwhile input of your own to add to ANY THREADS ?

Anything other than juvenile insults ? Anything productive ???

Any links, or anecdotes even ?!!

ANYTHING ???

:rolleyes:

I dont like having to pay for my TV licence any more than I like having to pay for my car licence or tax or NI etc ect but I have to, so do you. Stop being a plonker and pay up