House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LuckyOne

Is Tony Woodley A Hypocrite .....

It seems that Tony Woodley has chosen to fly with EasyJet on his holidays.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/travelnews/7806783/BA-strike-union-boss-flies-off-on-holiday-to-Cyprus-with-easyJet.html

Given that their Easyjet's terms and conditions are much worse than those of BA, do you think that Woodley is a hypocrite for flying with EasyJet?

I wonder whether he is making BA's case for them having chosen to fly on a low cost airline on his holiday which reinforces BA's argument that the current terms and conditions for Heathrow crews are unsustainable.

He can fly with who he likes it's a free country, anyway they are a much better firm.

It would be nice if this were really a free country which would allow BA to pay people what they are worth on the open market rather than being tied down by historical agreements which have now expired and are completely irrelevant to the current market.

It would be nice if this were really a free country which would allow BA to pay people what they are worth on the open market rather than being tied down by historical agreements which have now expired and are completely irrelevant to the current market.

Hear, hear.

And that applies to Willie does it?

Of course.

I think that both the left and the right are sometimes guilty of setting one set of rules for the masses and one set of rules for the elites. This truly annoys me no matter which side of the political guide is guilty.

Guest absolutezero

Seems the mentalists on here want it both ways.

They want a private sector where "choice" is available to all, but when someone makes their choice that's somehow bad.

Guest theboltonfury

They want a private sector where "choice" is available to all, but when someone makes their choice that's somehow bad.

He's meant to care deeply about the trolly dollies. And in their hour of permatanned need, he's done one to the Med.

Class.

He's meant to care deeply about the trolly dollies. And in their hour of permatanned need, he's done one to the Med.

Class.

Tell me why is it the left that have to justify their every move and be accused of hypocrasy. Do the right get it so perfectly. No they don't do they? The expenses scandel has levelled the playing field a few degrees. Right, Left and Don't Know Whats, all the same.

Would be much better if this were a fair country, where BA wasn't gifted all the historic advantage like its privileges at Heathrow, and had to compete on a level playing field with superior rivals. That's a company that should've died off long ago.

I saw it differently (and I don't think that I am a mentalist).

I see Woodley as trying fully excercise the choice that he is trying to deny BA.

Guest absolutezero

Would be much better if this were a fair country, where BA wasn't gifted all the historic advantage like its privileges at Heathrow, and had to compete on a level playing field with superior rivals. That's a company that should've died off long ago.

There's your "free market" for you.

Guest theboltonfury

Tell me why is it the left that have to justify their every move and be accused of hypocrasy. Do the right get it so perfectly. No they don't do they? The expenses scandel has levelled the playing field a few degrees. Right, Left and Don't Know Whats, all the same.

Left, right, center left, rabid tory etc. It's all utter nonsense.

It probably would have.

I am in favour of a true level playing field. BA would either have had to become as good as Emirates, Singapore etc based on their fare structure on a level playing field or they would have died.

There's your "free market" for you.

I am glad to see the "quotes".

In most cases, we do not have any evidence with respect to how a truly free market might work.

At the same fare, I would much prefer to fly Emirates from LHR to LAX than BA. I don't have that option available to me. The market is not free.

Guest absolutezero

I am glad to see the "quotes".

In most cases, we do not have any evidence with respect to how a truly free market might work.

At the same fare, I would much prefer to fly Emirates from LHR to LAX than BA. I don't have that option available to me. The market is not free.

I don't think there is such as a free market in any sphere.

They're all manipulated or cartels.

Guest anorthosite

So you'd like it if employers could tear up their employee's contracts as and when they like?

I don't think there is such as a free market in any sphere.

They're all manipulated or cartels.

You are probably right.

I am sure that you have your ideals about how the world might look.

I have mine too. They are really simple. I would like to see free markets.

So you'd like it if employers could tear up their employee's contracts as and when they like?

Yes.

And vice versa too of course.

Guest absolutezero

Yes.

And vice versa too of course.

Given that contracts tend to be written in favour of the employer, having the employee tear it up is fraught with problems.

Given that contracts tend to be written in favour of the employer, having the employee tear it up is fraught with problems.

Employees need to get over their persecution complex and understand value.

If employees are creating more value than they are consuming, tearing up contracts is in their favour.

If employees are consuming more value that they are creating, tearing up contracts is not in their favour.

Guest absolutezero

Employees need to get over their persecution complex and understand value.

If employees are creating more value than they are consuming, tearing up contracts is in their favour.

If employees are consuming more value that they are creating, tearing up contracts is not in their favour.

And how do you suggest these employees take that risk given they have large mortgages and families?

It's all about control and being under the thumb.

High house prices have helped this happen.

And how do you suggest these employees take that risk given they have large mortgages and families?

It's all about control and being under the thumb.

High house prices have helped this happen.

AZ, I have enjoyed "debating" with you in a manner that I have considered to be honest and non-dogmatic even though you and I come from very different ends of the political spectrum.

For the first time, I am beginning to wonder where you actually stand.

Are you suggesting that collective action by the providers of labour is necessary to perpetuate high housing prices?

Are you suggesting that this is satisfactory?

Are you suggesting that pain for the witting and unwitting speculators in house prices is too high a price to pay for future generations to enjoy affordabale housing?

Guest absolutezero

AZ, I have enjoyed "debating" with you in a manner that I have considered to be honest and non-dogmatic even though you and I come from very different ends of the political spectrum.

Thank you. I extend the same sentiments towards you. :) I can't say that about many of the people I 'disagree' with on here.

For the first time, I am beginning to wonder where you actually stand.

Are you suggesting that collective action by the providers of labour is necessary to perpetuate high housing prices?

Are you suggesting that this is satisfactory?

Are you suggesting that pain for the witting and unwitting speculators in house prices is too high a price to pay for future generations to enjoy affordabale housing?

No.

I'm saying that high house prices have the nasty side effect of making people more compliant. They have a large mortgage and if they lose their jobs they will lose the house.

People who are scared (perhaps of losing their house) will do as they are told (by employers and Government) and not make a fuss.

I'm saying that high house prices have the nasty side effect of making people more compliant. They have a large mortgage and if they lose their jobs they will lose the house.

People who are scared (perhaps of losing their house) will do as they are told (by employers and Government) and not make a fuss.

Fair enough.

How do you imagine that the adujustment towards sustainable house prices will happen?

I cannot see how it can happen without large numbers of people being hurt.

This will include everyone from leveraged, greedy, highly paid people in the private sector who thought that they were rich to hard working people with union contracts who unwittingly over-extended themselves because they thought that improving settlements were sustainable.

I see a lot of tears and hardship ahead for everyone.