House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

K.O. Johnny

Treadmills

Quick question

I much prefer running on a treadmill than road running

I feel I can push myself harder and it's better for my lower back, but it seems kind of easier than 'proper' running. Is it cheating, why does it seem easier, is it in fact easier - I can't put my finger on it, but real running seems harder

Quick question

I much prefer running on a treadmill than road running

I feel I can push myself harder and it's better for my lower back, but it seems kind of easier than 'proper' running. Is it cheating, why does it seem easier, is it in fact easier - I can't put my finger on it, but real running seems harder

Because it is easier than real running the lack of wind resistence and the way you can bunny hop which conserves huge amounts of energy as the 'road' underyou moves at the same pace while you are in mid air.

My sister bunny hopped with the treadmill moving at top speed under her she could run for miles but didn't realise it was doing no good.

Just put a big incline on the machine, when I went to the gym I would stick it on the highest incline and at setting 8/15.

Because it is easier than real running the lack of wind resistence and the way you can bunny hop which conserves huge amounts of energy as the 'road' underyou moves at the same pace while you are in mid air.

My sister bunny hopped with the treadmill moving at top speed under her she could run for miles but didn't realise it was doing no good.

Just put a big incline on the machine, when I went to the gym I would stick it on the highest incline and at setting 8/15.

Don't know what you mean by 'bunny hop' Ken, but yeah, I do put it on an incline, and that more than makes up for wind resistance (unless you go running in Hurricane Katrina)

Don't know what you mean by 'bunny hop' Ken, but yeah, I do put it on an incline, and that more than makes up for wind resistance (unless you go running in Hurricane Katrina)

Yeah it's clearly the air resistance. I do a lot of my cardio on the ellipticals and stair machines, if there's something decent on TV or a cardio bunny ahead I can go for 90mins sometimes. B)

It's the constant flat and hard surface and the ability to run in a straight line without turning or having to slow down, combined with the lack of air resistance and the psycological advantage of knowing you can stop at any time.

I feel it is easier than outside running. Whether this is due to it actually being easier or not is hard to be sure. I can't believe wind resistance adds that much, unless you're running in a force 9 gale every day. If you are running a circuit, won't you have the wind behind you as much as in front (unless the wind changes half way through).

One thing I've found is that when you run outside, it's much harder to pace yourself. So you tend to go faster at the beginning, then slow down when you're knackered. On a treadmill its easier to keep the speed uniform, so you are less likley to get out of breath.

I think that treadmills are harder to run on in terms of impact. Someone on the other thread suggested 1.5x as bad.

Doesn't the fact that your foot is meeting a moving surface make it less effort than having to gain traction off a normal road surface? :huh:

Doesn't the fact that your foot is meeting a moving surface make it less effort than having to gain traction off a normal road surface? :huh:

When you run outside, the road surface is moving, relative to yourself.

When you run outside, the road surface is moving, relative to yourself.

How do you move relative to the road? There is traction between your shoe and the road. On the treadmill your foot is simply carried back underneath you, no traction required.

It's the constant flat and hard surface and the ability to run in a straight line without turning or having to slow down, combined with the lack of air resistance and the psycological advantage of knowing you can stop at any time.

:o

Do you run outside with a man chasing you with a gun or something........

:o

Do you run outside with a man chasing you with a gun or something........

You know what I mean. However far you run, you know you have to travel back the same distance.

:lol:;)

I was going to say that but declined.

treadmill running pros and cons

I have no shame !!

You know what I mean. However far you run, you know you have to travel back the same distance.

Run round in a very small circle ? Although you could get pretty dizzy.

How do you move relative to the road? There is traction between your shoe and the road. On the treadmill your foot is simply carried back underneath you, no traction required.

I'm guessing you have never run on a treadmill?

I think that treadmills are harder to run on in terms of impact. Someone on the other thread suggested 1.5x as bad.

Treadmills feel softer to me, most places available to run are tarmac or pavement but grass could be better than a treadmill.

My mum was a veteran marathon runner for years and she always said that treadmills trained her up faster than road running -- they force you to be consistent in your tread, breathing and pace.

She found that just 30 mins three times a week on a treadmill gave her better times than an equivalent one hour road run three times a week.

Guest theboltonfury

Not if you do a loop run.

Yes, I have. But it turns out I was talking crap. I now believe running on a treadmill is kinematically identical to running on a road, all other things being as equal as possible. My perception of differences probably arose from variations in grip on road surfaces as compared to a treadmill mat.

This guy seems to have the answers:

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=JackNirenstein#p/u/0/3g-V4N1Z2sQ

Makes perfect sense. Your friend gravity is the only propulsive force, vectored by rotating the legs in relation to the body's CoG.

My mum was a veteran marathon runner for years and she always said that treadmills trained her up faster than road running -- they force you to be consistent in your tread, breathing and pace.

She found that just 30 mins three times a week on a treadmill gave her better times than an equivalent one hour road run three times a week.

I agree with this. I do most of my running on the treadmill as its convenient on my lunch break whilst I do other stuff int he gym. Also, it seems much easier on my knees. I have run a fair few half marathons (best time 1hrs 30) and have always done most training on a treadmill, so it must have been helping.

I prefer treadmills and exercise bikes in the gym and the large LCD screens with football or cricket!! Helps focus the mind and take it off the toil of the exercise!!

I think if you can stand the monotony of a treadmill then using one as part of one's running training is very beneficial. I find it much easier to run faster on a treadmill (i.e. not being shot out the back) than trying to push myself on the pavement.

It's a myth about treadmills being easier, the energy one expends is being used to prevent being shot out the back rather than propelling oneself forward.

I set the incline on 1%, which appears to be consistent with the loss of wind resistance when running outside. For a given distance and speed my inside and outside heart rates are similar. The inside HR does rise more towards the end of an inside run but I read somewhere that this was due to a lack of dissipation of heat.

I now only use my treadmill once a week maximum, I much prefer my Concept2. Easier on the leccy bills.