House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trampa501

Is Anyone Going Out To South Africa?

Please let us know how you find the security arrangements, general economic well-being etc. It'd be good to gather some info on the ground even though it be distorted by the event

don't go outside tourist areas , it is far too dangerous

also do not go out at night if you can help it

A fan's murder is surely going to happen ? All it will take is one drunken wayward fan to fight back against a mugger - game over.

If one happens before it even starts on Friday - it will put a bit of a downer on events.

Me !!

Flying out on the 18th...Watching 4 x games, Brazil v Ivory Coast, England v Slovenia + 2 Knockout games.... Fully briefed on the security issues...

Can't wait...... B)

I must admit, people are treating us as if we are going to the frontline in Afghanistan..... :lol:

We have secure safe places to stay....

Hotel in SA.jpg

post-12527-12758997985791_thumb.jpg

I must admit, people are treating us as if we are going to the frontline in Afghanistan..... :lol:

We have secure safe places to stay....

I had a bit of trouble with the food at the Alexandra...

fflaming arseeuer.jpg

post-12677-12759083919167_thumb.jpg

But I made a lot of good friends while using the toilet facilities...

Top up the tan whilst upon the pan......... :D

I went for 3 weeks earlier this year.

I can honestly say I never felt in any danger, we happily walked back from nights out in the dark, everyone we met was very friendly etc

The countryside is gorgeous, Cape Town is a great city, food and drink the best in the world, roads excellent, great wildlife etc

99% of crime happens in townships miles away from where you'll be as a tourist. But be sensible, just take out as much money as you'll need, not your entire wallet, and leave ludicrously expensive watches and stuff at home, but I'd say the same if you were off to New York.

I can honestly say I never felt in any danger, we happily walked back from nights out in the dark, everyone we met was very friendly etc

The countryside is gorgeous, Cape Town is a great city, food and drink the best in the world, roads excellent, great wildlife etc

99% of crime happens in townships miles away from where you'll be as a tourist. But be sensible, just take out as much money as you'll need, not your entire wallet, and leave ludicrously expensive watches and stuff at home, but I'd say the same if you were off to New York.

right, from what I hear crime can happen anywhere.... My missus was staying in a good hotel in Cape Town on business, they go upstairs put there bags away after checkin decide they will 'walk' to the shops nearby. When they get downstairs 40 mins later there is police everywhere. The hotel and everyone in reception has been robbed at gunpoint. They decide not to walk to the shops. Crime in SA can happen anywhere, never assume you are totally safe because there are other people around.

2 colleagues have been out on business. One stayed in a good tourist area and the other one didn't. Their experiences were very different. It isn't possible to say whether its safe or not as it depends greatly where you are.

I would have thought that the security arrangements during the World Cup would mean that relatively speaking it is probably safer than normal.

Or maybe you were just lucky....

Say the above to someone actually from SA and see what they have to say.