House Price Crash Forum

Oil Discovery In Falklands Hailed As Biggest Of Its Kind

HOLA441
Oil discovery in Falklands hailed as biggest of its kind since North Sea oil

An oil field discovery in the Falklands was hailed yesterday as potentially the biggest discovery of its kind since North Sea Oil.

Shares in Rockhopper exploration soared 52 per cent yesterday as the company said it expected to pump out at least 242 million barrels of oil from the 'Sea Lion' well - the expedition's first major oil find.

And some predicted there could be millions more barrels of oil lying untapped in the area - sparking hopes that the region could hold as much oil as the North Sea.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1284171/Oil-discovery-Falklands-hailed-biggest-kind-North-Sea-Oil.html

Apparently Argentina relinquished any rights to a share of the oil in 2007.

They will not be happy.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

Being in the industry I know that it will see the majors cutting back up here in the North East big time.

But we are talking a decade or two to put the infrastructure in place to safely and cheaply haul crude oil and gas back to the UK for consumption.

A lot can happen between now and then, such as the Americans stake a new claim and take over the fields.

We in the UK don't have the money for massive new investment in subsea and large scale extraction.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

A lot can happen between now and then, such as the Americans stake a new claim and take over the fields.

We in the UK don't have the money for massive new investment in subsea and large scale extraction.

I think the Argentinians would have more of an issue, the Americans won't start a nuclear war.

The oil is just in the ground, you can borrow against it

HOLA448
HOLA449

I think the Argentinians would have more of an issue, the Americans won't start a nuclear war.

The oil is just in the ground, you can borrow against it

The Argentinians will do as they are told, by the US State Department.

Britain is a 3rd rate military power, with ageing Nukes, which are reliant on US military satellites, and a whole lot more American intervention as well. Don't get it into your head that we are on par with any major military power around the globe.

The Monroe Doctrine is every bit as relevant today as it was in 18 something something.

USSOUTHCOM is part of the enduring legacy of this.

HOLA4410

The Argentinians will do as they are told, by the US State Department.

Britain is a 3rd rate military power, with ageing Nukes, which are reliant on US military satellites, and a whole lot more American intervention as well. Don't get it into your head that we are on par with any major military power around the globe.

The Monroe Doctrine is every bit as relevant today as it was in 18 something something.

USSOUTHCOM is part of the enduring legacy of this.

Sorry but no, you are exaggerating. I know its the mood of the times but by any objective standard we are a major power for a nation state that isn't a super-power. We used to be the pre-eminent superpower so this is a colossal fall from grace but "3rd rate" is ridiculous, our ability to project force is significant. Don't misinterpret this as jingoism or complacency but your post is the sort of thing that only a Briton (or an American in a boasting mood) could write, start subscribing to Jane's if you don't believe me.

Edited by Cogs

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

The other thing to consider is that Falklands War I was just a naked land-grab by some deeply unpleasant generals.

This time round - rightly or wrongly - the entire continent of S America sees it as a naked grab of continental resources.

There won't be any quiet backing of the UK.

HOLA4413

They can still strike targets without the satellites.

Ok, hypothetically speaking, as this nuke talk is crossing into the realm of Oompa Loopas and the sasquatch..,.

Stop talking complete and utter pants.

Trident; who builds them...

If they (yanks) choose to change the GPS cypher, or jam our network, or a myriad of things they can do to our system, we are 100% in the dark.

But anyway, enough c0ck waving:

If the Yanks want, they will take it.

HOLA4414

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1284171/Oil-discovery-Falklands-hailed-biggest-kind-North-Sea-Oil.html

They will not be happy.

What constantly seems to be found in the Falklands is an endless supply of oil share ramping.

This circus has been going on for decades now.

I know someone who lost a shed load of redundancy money investing in an earlier round of Falkland oil bonanza madness.

HOLA4415

Sorry but no, you are exaggerating. I know its the mood of the times but by any objective standard we are a major power for a nation state that isn't a super-power. We used to be the pre-eminent superpower so this is a colossal fall from grace but "3rd rate" is ridiculous, our ability to project force is significant. Don't misinterpret this as jingoism or complacency but your post is the sort of thing that only a Briton (or an American in a boasting mood) could write, start subscribing to Jane's if you don't believe me.

Whatever.

Why Janes when I've played with a lot of the toys myself.

Our ability to project force is dependent on America giving us the permission to do so.

We couldn't even take our own hardware to the Gulf FFS.

What are you all smoking? Give me some!

HOLA4416

Ok, hypothetically speaking, as this nuke talk is crossing into the realm of Oompa Loopas and the sasquatch..,.

Stop talking complete and utter pants.

Trident; who builds them...

If they (yanks) choose to change the GPS cypher, or jam our network, or a myriad of things they can do to our system, we are 100% in the dark.

But anyway, enough c0ck waving:

If the Yanks want, they will take it.

I know someone who built the warheads - I'll drop him an email and get back to you.

HOLA4417

The other thing to consider is that Falklands War I was just a naked land-grab by some deeply unpleasant generals.

This time round - rightly or wrongly - the entire continent of S America sees it as a naked grab of continental resources.

There won't be any quiet backing of the UK.

It's just energy, and it really won't be up to our government as to how it is extracted, refined, or distributed.

All we have so far is a wildcat well or two that has shown promise.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

It's just energy, and it really won't be up to our government as to how it is extracted, refined, or distributed.

All we have so far is a wildcat well or two that has shown promise.

True. Funny but I was listening to the "born again anti-oil" person Boone Pickins on CNBC yesterday, Talking about natural gas, the price, how the US is self-sufficient in gas for a couple of hundred years. I too am in the industry here in the US in an indirect way. What he says makes perfect sense and only the pro-israel, big oil interest would argue with him. If Mid-East oil goes away, Israel is screwed, whichever way you look at it.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

How many finds is that in the Falklands now?

and how many times has Greece been bailed?

and is there a Bilderberg meeting this weekend? just a few PsTB having a laugh??

HOLA4423

Bought some of these at £1.40 and dumped them at £1.95 - doh!!!!

It's not really the drillers that will make the big profits. They are just contractors.

Its the majors that lease the blocks, and services that will be coming to extract, maintain, and distribute, whoever they are, that are worth the punt.

HOLA4424
Guest Steve Cook

http://www.dailymail...th-Sea-Oil.html

They will not be happy.

242 million barrels eh?

Wow, that sounds like a lot doesn't it.

And there may even be millions more as well!.

Let's assume there is 10 times as much as 242 million.

So that'd be 2,500 million barrels

OK, given the global consumption rate of 85 million barrels per day.

That would be Less than 4 weeks global supply.

On the other hand, if there really is only 242 million barrels there.

That would be 2.8 days of global supply

Edited by Steve Cook

HOLA4425

Good for you.

I'll give you a hand as well.

http://www.lockheedmartin.com/index.html

Still waiting for a reply

But the official line from 2006 is

http://www.mod.uk/NR/rdonlyres/AC00DD79-76D6-4FE3-91A1-6A56B03C092F/0/DefenceWhitePaper2006_Cm6994.pdf

the Vanguard-class submarines can

operate readily without the Global

Positioning by Satellite (GPS) system and

the Trident D5 missile does not use GPS

at all: it has an inertial guidance system.

There is nothing in the planned Trident

D5 life extension programme that will

change this position.

You have to ask yourself how Maggie intended to nuke Buenos Aries - before the advent of GPS.